The former US congresswoman, critically injured in a mass shooting two years ago, has told Congress to be “bold” and “courageous” in tackling gun violence.
Gabby Giffords’ speech comes six weeks after the Sandy Hook massacre.
“Speaking is difficult but I need to say something important. Violence is a big problem. Too many children are dying. Too many children. We must do something. It will be hard, but the time is now. You must act,” the 42-year-old told US politicians.
Giffords was shot by a lone gunman in Tucson, Arizona in January 2011. Though she survived, she is left with mobility and speech problems.
Responding to outrage following the latest mass shooting, President Barack Obama has asked Congress to pass the largest package of gun restrictions in decades.
But America’s powerful pro-gun lobby thinks the proposals won’t work.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 7Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 10How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 11Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 14Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 17US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 18euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 19Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 20All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 03:52 CET Canadians flock to Parliament Hill, site of attack on soldier
- 03:48 CET Botswana president’s party secures election victory
- 02:17 CET Washington state teen shooter’s family living in ‘nightmare’
- 02:06 CET Tunisians vote for new parliament, hope for full democracy
- 23:59 CET Germany’s Merkel deals blow to UK on EU migration reform – Sunday…
- 23:00 CET Brazil’s election too close to call on eve of runoff
- 22:08 CET Egypt eyes legal restrictions, military measures after Sinai…
- 21:42 CET Ebola death toll tops 4,900 as virus spreads – WHO