The former US congresswoman, critically injured in a mass shooting two years ago, has told Congress to be “bold” and “courageous” in tackling gun violence.
Gabby Giffords’ speech comes six weeks after the Sandy Hook massacre.
“Speaking is difficult but I need to say something important. Violence is a big problem. Too many children are dying. Too many children. We must do something. It will be hard, but the time is now. You must act,” the 42-year-old told US politicians.
Giffords was shot by a lone gunman in Tucson, Arizona in January 2011. Though she survived, she is left with mobility and speech problems.
Responding to outrage following the latest mass shooting, President Barack Obama has asked Congress to pass the largest package of gun restrictions in decades.
But America’s powerful pro-gun lobby thinks the proposals won’t work.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 3South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 4Russia: Politician’s extraordinary tirade at pregnant journalist
- 5Ukraine offers devolution as pro-Russian separatists vow to continue protests
- 1South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 2Ukraine: US, Russia and EU strike deal after crisis talks
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Geneva talks defy predictions of failure but will words turn into actions?
- 5A mother’s slap signals mercy for a convicted Iranian murderer
Wires > News
- 21:21 CET Two killed by bomb inside Bahrain car – ministry
- 21:16 CET High stakes as restive Benghazi votes in Libyan local polls
- 20:49 CET Man under evaluation for alleged gun threat at L.A. Times building
- 19:13 CET Italy gives wife, daughter of wanted Kazakh banker refugee status
- 19:04 CET Egyptian court jails Muslim Brotherhood leader for insulting…
- 17:05 CET Strong 7.5 magnitude quake hits off Papua New Guinea
- 17:05 CET Iran says plane at airport leased to Ghana after U.S.-flagged…
- 17:04 CET New militant group claims responsibility for Friday blast in Cairo