The former US congresswoman, critically injured in a mass shooting two years ago, has told Congress to be “bold” and “courageous” in tackling gun violence.
Gabby Giffords’ speech comes six weeks after the Sandy Hook massacre.
“Speaking is difficult but I need to say something important. Violence is a big problem. Too many children are dying. Too many children. We must do something. It will be hard, but the time is now. You must act,” the 42-year-old told US politicians.
Giffords was shot by a lone gunman in Tucson, Arizona in January 2011. Though she survived, she is left with mobility and speech problems.
Responding to outrage following the latest mass shooting, President Barack Obama has asked Congress to pass the largest package of gun restrictions in decades.
But America’s powerful pro-gun lobby thinks the proposals won’t work.
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 9Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 10Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 11International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 12International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 13Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 14Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 15EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 17Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 18eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 19How young translators are helping knit European culture together | euronews, generation y
- 20We will not be moved! China’s urban spread resistance [PHOTOS]
Wires > News
- 23:05 CET Unpopular but defiant, Myanmar ruling party unfazed about poll…
- 20:48 CET Greece says wants to make debt payments but needs aid urgently
- 20:34 CET Obama heralds first U.S. Memorial Day without ground war in 14…
- 17:28 CET Militants kill five, target telecoms in Indian Kashmir attacks
- 17:25 CET Houthis suffer first serious setback in south Yemen fighting -…
- 16:57 CET Burkina Faso exhumes remains of former president Sankara in murder…
- 16:54 CET Congo soldiers clash with Rwandan rebels in transit camp
- 16:19 CET Germany protests Russia’s ejection of conservative MP from Moscow