French soldiers have reportedly taken control of the airport in Kidal. Along with Gao and Timbuktu, it is the third large town in the north of Mali to be retaken from the control of armed Islamist groups in the last 48 hours.
The French military, with the help of the Malian Army, have reestablished control in all three places without meeting much resistance.
But there is disorder on the streets. In Timbuktu, there have been reports of looting of shops owned by those suspected of having helped the Islamist groups who have occupied the town since last year.
International human rights groups also say some Malian troops have carried out revenge killings of suspected rebels and sympathisers in retaken areas.
France wants international observers deployed to ensure human rights are respected.
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 9Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 10Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 14Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 15EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Spanish voters punish mainstream parties in local and regional elections
- 17Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 18Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 19How young translators are helping knit European culture together | euronews, generation y
- 20eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
Wires > News
- 15:27 CET Bombing exposes Saudi failure to curb sectarian strains
- 15:18 CET Probe launched after Air France jet flies near Mount Cameroon
- 15:12 CET Bolivia names new interior minister after Peruvian flees custody
- 15:00 CET Myanmar on track for Nov vote, challenges remain: Election…
- 14:35 CET China pressure suspected as Malaysia bars Hong Kong teen activist
- 14:33 CET Libya’s parliament halts session as car burns outside
- 14:23 CET Herdsmen kill at least 96 people in Nigeria’s Benue state
- 14:16 CET Seven members of Yemeni family killed in Saudi-led strike -…