30/01/13 14:05 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Flooding in three southern states of Mozambique has killed at least 40 people, with several reports of a death toll of up to 70.
Low-lying coastal areas of the southern African country have been hit especially hard in this year’s rainy season.
Flooding in 2000 killed 700 people and displaced millions.
This time, boats are being used to evacuate thousands of people.
Helicopters from both Mozambique and South Africa’s militaries have had to rescue those stranded on the rooftops of their homes.
Around 100,000 people have been affected in Gaza province alone according to the UN, which estimates more than 11 million euros will be needed for aid to prevent the spread of diseases.
The Chikahalani camp is now home to 65,000 people but only has 28 toilets.
- 1Einstein was right! Scientists confirm that gravitational waves exist
- 2Albert Einstein and the incredible discovery of gravitational waves
- 3Major powers agree on truce in Syria “within a week”
- 4Turkey threatens to unleash refugees on Europe
- 5Democratic nomination: Clinton crushes Sanders – thanks to “superdelegates”
- 1Turkey blames US for ‘sea of blood’ in region
- 2Einstein was right! Scientists confirm that gravitational waves exist
- 3Nigeria: suicide bomber turns herself in after recognising relatives among potential victims
- 4Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 5World powers arrive in Munich hoping to resurrect Syrian peace talks
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Partnering to grow Europe
- 5Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 6Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 7Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 8Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 11Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 12‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 13International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 14Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 15latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 16Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 17Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18French language revolution in France
- 19Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 20world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
Wires > News
- 17:01 CET Crook-wielding Greek farmers clash with police in Athens pension…
- 17:00 CET Two shot at U.S. high school, police say
- 16:56 CET Moscow court rejects lawsuit against Putin from Kremlin critic…
- 16:51 CET France to evict almost 1,000 migrants from ‘jungle’ near Calais
- 16:49 CET Iraqi PM says has won back half of IS-held territories
- 15:30 CET Pope gets shoe shine on Cuba-bound plane
- 15:19 CET Britain says missing Hong Kong bookseller ‘involuntarily removed‘…
- 14:50 CET No one believed killed or injured in Istanbul building collapse -…