Police in Brazil say the nightclub fire that killed 235 people was caused by cheap fireworks meant for outdoor use.
As people in Santa Maria again marched demanding justice for the victims, the chief investigator has backed witness accounts suggesting the band on stage had let off flares.
“The people who bought this material knew it was for external use and not to be used indoors but they used it because it was cheaper,” said police inspector Marcelo Arigony.
He said that whereas indoor fireworks cost 70 reales (25 euros), the band chose cheaper ones from a local shop that only cost 12.5 reales (under 5 euros).
The inspector, who lost a cousin in the disaster, said the fireworks were part of the band’s show and they had even worn gloves on stage.
A band member is among several people who have been arrested.
Video filmed on Tuesday shows the damage to the Kiss nightclub from Sunday’s fire. Soot covers the doors and debris is strewn across the floor.
The authorities also say the venue had too many people, combustible material in the ceiling, and faulty fire safety equipment.
The country’s health minister said the lives of dozens being treated in hospital were in danger.
Several other towns in Brazil have announced stricter controls on clubs.
- 1Germanwings: Terrifying transcripts of doomed plane’s ‘last minutes’
- 2Lufthansa fears second Germanwings black box may never be found
- 3Data recorder is key to ending Flight 9525 speculation
- 4Unconfirmed reports and speculation mount over Germanwings crash
- 5Six world powers to make a final push for a deal over Iran’s nuclear programme
- 1Germanwings crash: search suspended
- 2Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 3‘One day the world will know my name’, Germanwings co-pilot Lubitz ‘declared’
- 4Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 5Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note for day of crash is found at home of Germanwings co-pilot
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 6Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 9Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 10Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 11eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 12Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 13Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 14Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 15London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 16French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 17Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 18Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 19Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
- 20Romania left red-faced after France-Germany map gaffe | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 19:14 CET Turkish Airlines flight diverted to Morocco after bomb scare
- 19:10 CET Danish Nazi, accused war criminal, dies in Germany
- 18:08 CET Germany says Greece must flesh out reforms to unlock aid
- 17:44 CET U.N. Secretary General troubled by Iraq abuse claims, refugees
- 17:28 CET Niger, Chad forces attack Boko Haram positions on Lake Chad -…
- 16:51 CET Syrian military source alleges Turkish role in Idlib offensive
- 16:37 CET France’s Valls cancels ECB visit for post-election Socialist talks
- 16:31 CET Crash pilot previously had suicidal tendencies – German prosecutors