In Washington almost three years ago, hundreds of thousands of demonstrators demanded citizenship for the some eleven million immigrants in the United States without the right legal status, and they are overwhelmingly Hispanic.
Latino citizens make up ten percent of the US electorate, and the proportion is growing. A politician needs to actively convince them he or she is worthy of their votes, as Republican Senator for the state of Florida Marco Rubio said during the last presidential campaign.
Rubio said: “There is a growing number of Latino voters in key swing states, like Florida, Virginia, North Carolina, Ohio, Colorado and Nevada. Voters are not wed to one party or another, they don’t vote for the party, these Latino voters vote for the best candidate.”
In the eyes of many, Barack Obama with his promise to reform immigration was the best candidate, as San Antonio, Texas mayor Julian Castro suggested. He is a rising star in the Democratic Party.
Castro said: “The trajectory of my family has been the story of so many American families, and the question for this election is whether we’re going to keep the ability to pursue opportunity like that to achieve the American dream, whether we’re going to keep that alive and well in the years to come or are we going to go backward.”
Immigration has a strong role in economic dynamics as well. The experts point to a lot of companies or whole sectors that are short of manpower, notably agriculture, and say that immigration reform could do a lot to help there.
Reform is also needed to attract people with high qualifications, and allow students who have taken degrees in American universities to stay and work. For instance, an estimated 40 percent of scientists in the US are immigrants. They also start businesses at twice the overall rate and boost birth rates, also a consideration for ageing Europe, Japan and China.
- 1Poland ‘has located’ buried Nazi treasure train
- 2Budapest vigil for 71 found dead on Austrian motorway
- 3Tropical Storm Erika threatens Haiti and Dominican Republic with mud slides
- 4Germany wants camps in Italy, Greece, Turkey to sort through migrants seeking asylum
- 5Suspected people traffickers accused of murder – a first in Italian legal history
- 1‘Dude, I tried to shoot him’: video shows moments after train attack in France
- 2Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 3New York: toplessness in Times Square could change forever
- 4US shootings: suspect dies of gunshot wounds
- 5UK: at least 7 dead, ‘more bodies may be found’ after Shoreham plane crash
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10Why World Elephant Day matters
- 11UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 17As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 18Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 19Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
- 20Migrant crisis pushing Greek island of Kos to the limit
Wires > News
- 16:20 CET Iran’s Rouhani says military power not affected by nuclear deal -…
- 16:03 CET Malaysia’s Mahathir joins protesters calling for PM to go
- 15:55 CET China grants amnesty to mark anniversary of WW2 victory
- 15:53 CET China grants amnesty to mark anniversary of WW2 victory
- 15:33 CET Turkish jets join U.S.-led coalition strikes on Islamic State
- 15:04 CET Egyptian court sentences three Al Jazeera journalists to prison
- 14:55 CET Military plane crashes in northern Nigeria, killing seven
- 14:46 CET Russia says Ukrainian hostage freed in Afghanistan