A former Ukrainian police officer has been jailed for life for the murder of a campaigning journalist Georgiy Gongadze in 2000.
General Oleksiy Pukach implied in court that others, including ex-President Leonid Kuchma, were equally guilty.
A case against the former leader was dismissed two years ago.
Gongadze wrote about political corruption and crime.
The discovery of the 31-year-old’s headless body sparked a wave of public anger which eventually led to the “Orange Revolution”.
His widow’s lawyer said she intended to appeal, arguing that the court has failed to determine the motives for the killing.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Heavy fighting in Donetsk; possible mass grave discovered
- 2Catalan independence put on hold: constitutional court suspends vote
- 3Migrant deaths in Mediterranean reach a record 3,072 in 2014
- 4Red alert in southern France as heavy rains sweep Languedoc region
- 5Spain: Constitutional court votes to suspend Catalonia independence referendum
- 1Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel
- 2Update: Emma Watson nude photos threat may be elaborate PR stunt
- 3Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’
- 4Teenage ‘terror suspect’ shot dead by police in Australia after attacking officers
- 5Watch: Leonardo DiCaprio speech among five must-see clips on UN climate summit
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin | euronews, world news
- 3Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 4New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 5Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 6Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 73D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 8Rise of the machines | euronews, futuris
- 9Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 10Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 11Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 12Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 13Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 14British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 15Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
- 16The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
- 17Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 18#Indyref Live: Scotland votes on independence from UK | euronews, world news
- 19Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 20Official ‘executed by flame-thrower’ over links to Kim Jong-un’s purged uncle | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 17:38 CET Austria says Eurofighter has part problem, some deliveries halted
- 17:20 CET EU-Russia gas duel deepens with Slovakia supply cut
- 17:16 CET Nazi hunters seek German probe of WW2 death squad suspects
- 17:11 CET Experts question two-day delay in admitting Texas Ebola patient
- 17:10 CET World Bank chief says Ebola outbreak shows harm of inequality
- 16:47 CET France defies EU partners with ‘no austerity’ budget
- 16:10 CET Turkey’s Erdogan says new constitution priority after 2015 election
- 15:42 CET Nobel Laureates condemn South Africa visa denial to Dalai Lama