Rows of men allegedly executed have appeared in videos uploaded to the Internet by activists opposed to Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.
The footage shows dozens of men, purportedly found dead in the northern city of Aleppo with gunshot wounds to their heads.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a British-based NGO which aims to provide information on casualties from both sides of the conflict, says the death toll here could be as high as 80.
One activist, recorded in another video, said “these men were killed only because they were Muslims”.
It is impossible to verify such footage from Syria because of tight media restrictions in the country.
Meanwhile, refugees are flooding into neighbouring countries. According to the United Nations, some 700,000 people have fled Syria. Within Syria, the UN says there are four million in need and it has brought food to up to 1.5 million.
But the country’s main opposition coalition has been critical, saying the UN has allowed aid distribution to be controlled by the Syrian government and organisations sympathetic to it.
- 1Paris attacker Abdelhamid Abaaoud ‘returned to scene of shootings’
- 2Russia says second SU-24 crew member safe and back at base in Syria
- 3Calls for calm as tensions rise over Turkish downing of Russian jet
- 4Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 5Turkey downing of Russian plane “a stab in the back” says President Vladimir Putin
- 1Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 2Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 3Turkey downing of Russian plane “a stab in the back” says President Vladimir Putin
- 4Five questions on Russia’s air strikes in Syria
- 5French police hunt new suspect over Paris attacks
- 1At least 22 people killed as Mali hotel siege ends
- 2Two suspected terrorists dead, seven arrests in police raid on apartment in Saint-Denis, Paris
- 3Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 4Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 5ISIL publishes video to “celebrate” Paris attacks as France continues airstrikes
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 7European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 8Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 9latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 11International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 12Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 13Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 14Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 16Fukushima: Tepco admits contaminated water leak into the Pacific
- 17‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 18Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 20Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
Latest world news
Bus bomber kills presidential guards in Tunisian capital
Russia says second SU-24 crew member safe and back at base in Syria
Pope Francis heads to Africa with a message of religious tolerance
Canada reduces refugee intake to 10,000 by the year’s end
Chicago protests mark release of fatal shooting video
Wires > News
- 12:33 CET France detects first bird flu outbreak in years
- 12:31 CET China says must learn from Paris attacks
- 12:14 CET Singapore slashes publication bans, but not for Jehovah’s Witnesses
- 12:13 CET Turkey’s Erdogan says does not want escalation after Russian jet…
- 12:08 CET Three arrest warrants issued in widening royal insult probe
- 12:03 CET U.N. accuses Houthis of blocking supply routes to Yemen’s Taiz city
- 11:47 CET Defiant Merkel vows to stand by refugee policy despite security…
- 11:38 CET Pope heads to Africa hoping to bridge Christian-Muslim faultlines