Rows of men allegedly executed have appeared in videos uploaded to the Internet by activists opposed to Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.
The footage shows dozens of men, purportedly found dead in the northern city of Aleppo with gunshot wounds to their heads.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a British-based NGO which aims to provide information on casualties from both sides of the conflict, says the death toll here could be as high as 80.
One activist, recorded in another video, said “these men were killed only because they were Muslims”.
It is impossible to verify such footage from Syria because of tight media restrictions in the country.
Meanwhile, refugees are flooding into neighbouring countries. According to the United Nations, some 700,000 people have fled Syria. Within Syria, the UN says there are four million in need and it has brought food to up to 1.5 million.
But the country’s main opposition coalition has been critical, saying the UN has allowed aid distribution to be controlled by the Syrian government and organisations sympathetic to it.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1As it happened: Malaysia’s flight mystery remains as searches extended to Malacca Strait
- 2Ships and aircraft from ten countries continue search for missing Malaysia flight
- 3Malaysia plane: oil rig worker reports a “burning plane” as search continues
- 4Flight MH370: possible mid-air disintegration, unconfirmed object ‘spotted’ in sea
- 5Missing Malaysia Airlines plane ‘crashes off Vietnam’
- 1Flight MH370: possible mid-air disintegration, unconfirmed object ‘spotted’ in sea
- 2As it happened: Malaysia’s flight mystery remains as searches extended to Malacca Strait
- 3Hijacking not ruled out as search for missing Malaysia Airlines jet enters third day
- 4Ships and aircraft from ten countries continue search for missing Malaysia flight
- 5Prayers for a miracle as the fate of missing Malaysia Airlines jet baffles the experts
- 1Missing Malaysia Airlines plane ‘crashes off Vietnam’
- 2Flight MH370: possible mid-air disintegration, unconfirmed object ‘spotted’ in sea
- 3Claims Michael Schumacher is breathing independently played down by his management
- 4Malaysia Airlines plane missing, presumed crashed
- 5Hijacking not ruled out as search for missing Malaysia Airlines jet enters third day
Wires > News
- 21:17 CET Thousands clash with police as Turkish teenager buried
- 21:16 CET Algerian premier to quit to run Bouteflika election campaign -…
- 21:15 CET Israel’s parliament toughens referendum-on-peace law
- 20:50 CET Assad visits displaced Syrians outside Damascus – TV
- 20:44 CET Somalia, peacekeepers launch offensive against militants – U.N.
- 20:01 CET EU ready to help Bosnia speed up reforms after protests – Ashton
- 19:46 CET UAE summons Iraq ambassador over Saudi “terrorism” charge
- 18:46 CET NYC buildings explosion kills two, more missing