At the sight of a 30-metre wave rushing towards shore, many people would be forgiven for wanting to swim very quickly the other way. Hawaiian surfer Garrett McNamara is certainly not one of them. The 45-year-old sees not danger, but instead a great window of opportunity and a chance to cement his position in the Guinness Book of Records.
His latest achievement was to tame a wave off the coast of Nazare, Portugal that is thought to have been as high as 100 feet (30.5 metres). The exact size of the wave will be confirmed once a video of McNamara’s performance has been thoroughly examined.
“Today was an awesome day and so much fun to be out there,” he tweeted just after his reached shore.
Whatever the verdict of the video judges, McNamara already holds the record for the biggest wave ever conquered by a surfer: in 2011, again off the coast of Nazare, he successfully took on a wave measured at 78 feet (23.7 metres).
In 2007, he famously took his board to Alaska to surf over waves generated by massive ice blocks that had broken away from glaciers.
McNamara was born in the very-much-inland Pittsfield, Massachusetts but his family moved to Hawaii’s North Shore when he was eleven years old. He now lives in Oahu, a town that has produced many of America’s best surfers as well as wave-loving folk-rock singer Jack Johnson.
- 1French Riviera declared ‘disaster zone’ after deadly flash floods
- 2Migrant crisis: Hungary poised to shut unofficial border crossings with Croatia
- 3Russian air strike hits terrorist training camp in Syria, say defence officials
- 4Porn pioneers the 3D, 360° virtual reality viewing experience
- 5Conservative coalition on course for another win in Portuguese elections
- 1Pope Francis kisses hands of Holocaust survivors
- 2Russia launches more air strikes in Syria
- 3Several reported dead and missing after severe floods in southern France
- 4Migrant crisis: Hungary poised to shut unofficial border crossings with Croatia
- 5Russian air strike hits terrorist training camp in Syria, say defence officials
- 1NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 2Pope Francis kisses hands of Holocaust survivors
- 3Poland: thousands turn out for anti-immigration protests
- 4Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 5France claims Russian jets have struck rebel, not IS forces in Homs
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Syrian refugee tripped by shamed camera woman is named
- 3Hungarian camera woman caught on video kicking and tripping migrants could face jail
- 4Hungarian reporter who tripped migrants apologises for her actions
- 5NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 6Latest News Bulletin
- 7At least 220 dead in stampede outside Mecca, Saudi Arabia reports
- 8International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 9What the top tweets worldwide are saying about #refugees
- 10Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees… or are they?
- 11Hungarian camerawoman fired after being filmed kicking migrants
- 12Denmark: launches anti-migrant ad campaign
- 13Spain: Catalan President faces ‘civil disobedience’ charges over breakaway vote
- 14Which European countries offer the most social benefits to migrants?
- 15Banzai back in the vocabulary as Japan passes law allowing combat deployments
- 16Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 17Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees…or are they?
- 18International news | euronews, latest international news
- 19Migrant tripped up in Hungary gets Spanish football job
- 20Hungary’s army can shoot rubber bullets and tear gas at refugees
Wires > News
- 20:59 CET German interior minister calls for limit to number of refugees
- 20:53 CET Libya’s elected parliament votes to extend own mandate – lawmaker
- 20:46 CET Greece’s Tsipras pleads for debt relief with austere budget
- 20:41 CET Pilot falls ill on American flight from Phoenix to Boston, dies
- 20:34 CET NATO denounces Russian incursion into Turkish air space
- 20:29 CET Canada election shifts attention to trade deal as race narrows
- 19:18 CET EU states might get budget relief on refugee costs – officials
- 19:15 CET Erdogan presses EU to act in Syria over migrant crisis