At the sight of a 30-metre wave rushing towards shore, many people would be forgiven for wanting to swim very quickly the other way. Hawaiian surfer Garrett McNamara is certainly not one of them. The 45-year-old sees not danger, but instead a great window of opportunity and a chance to cement his position in the Guinness Book of Records.
His latest achievement was to tame a wave off the coast of Nazare, Portugal that is thought to have been as high as 100 feet (30.5 metres). The exact size of the wave will be confirmed once a video of McNamara’s performance has been thoroughly examined.
“Today was an awesome day and so much fun to be out there,” he tweeted just after his reached shore.
Whatever the verdict of the video judges, McNamara already holds the record for the biggest wave ever conquered by a surfer: in 2011, again off the coast of Nazare, he successfully took on a wave measured at 78 feet (23.7 metres).
In 2007, he famously took his board to Alaska to surf over waves generated by massive ice blocks that had broken away from glaciers.
McNamara was born in the very-much-inland Pittsfield, Massachusetts but his family moved to Hawaii’s North Shore when he was eleven years old. He now lives in Oahu, a town that has produced many of America’s best surfers as well as wave-loving folk-rock singer Jack Johnson.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Kim Jong-un hands high ranking Pyongyang position to his younger sister
- 2Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia
- 3Italy: Tourist fined 20,000 euros for damaging Rome’s Colosseum
- 4Australian cricketer Phillip Hughes dies two days after being hit by ball
- 5Thanksgiving turkey pardoned by president
- 1Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia
- 2Putin denies he wants to create a new Iron Curtain
- 3Turkish President sparks row by saying women are not equal to men
- 4Clashes as Hong Kong protesters try to regain lost ground
- 5Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 7Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 8India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 9[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 10Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 11European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 12International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 13Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 14Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 15euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 16Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 17Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 20Syria: Islamic extremists pledge to press ahead with battle for Kobani | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 23:37 CET Ivory Coast seizes two Chinese trawlers in fishing dispute
- 23:10 CET Argentina charges HSBC with aiding tax evasion via Swiss accounts
- 23:04 CET Pope to urge tolerance in Turkey visit as Middle East wars rage
- 23:01 CET EU’s Juncker survives no-confidence vote over tax deals
- 22:17 CET France warns African leaders against trying to keep power
- 22:04 CET Taliban kill five in Kabul in attacks on British embassy car…
- 22:03 CET Can man-of-the-people Widodo micromanage 240 million Indonesians?
- 21:56 CET At least 133 killed in tribal clashes in Sudan – tribe leader