29/01/13 22:30 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
At the sight of a 30-metre wave rushing towards shore, many people would be forgiven for wanting to swim very quickly the other way. Hawaiian surfer Garrett McNamara is certainly not one of them. The 45-year-old sees not danger, but instead a great window of opportunity and a chance to cement his position in the Guinness Book of Records.
His latest achievement was to tame a wave off the coast of Nazare, Portugal that is thought to have been as high as 100 feet (30.5 metres). The exact size of the wave will be confirmed once a video of McNamara’s performance has been thoroughly examined.
“Today was an awesome day and so much fun to be out there,” he tweeted just after his reached shore.
Whatever the verdict of the video judges, McNamara already holds the record for the biggest wave ever conquered by a surfer: in 2011, again off the coast of Nazare, he successfully took on a wave measured at 78 feet (23.7 metres).
In 2007, he famously took his board to Alaska to surf over waves generated by massive ice blocks that had broken away from glaciers.
McNamara was born in the very-much-inland Pittsfield, Massachusetts but his family moved to Hawaii’s North Shore when he was eleven years old. He now lives in Oahu, a town that has produced many of America’s best surfers as well as wave-loving folk-rock singer Jack Johnson.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 5‘Misleading at best and flat out wrong at worst’ US reacts to Greenpeace TTIP leak
Latest world news
Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
Reckitt Benckiser apologises over South Korea deadly disinfectant
US cruise ship docks in Havana over 40 years since the last sailed the Florida Straits
Wires > News
- 01:41 CET Brazil prosecutor asks for probe of opposition leader Neves
- 01:20 CET Emotional return as first U.S. cruise in decades reaches Cuba
- 00:30 CET Obama says Chinese-led trade deal shows need for TPP – Washington…
- 00:29 CET U.S. says Iraq’s PM in ‘strong position’ amid political unrest
- 00:24 CET NATO weighs four battalions in Eastern states to deter Russia -…
- 00:17 CET Argentine court probes ex-president Fernandez over new case – media
- 23:04 CET U.S. tells Pakistan it will have to fund F-16s itself
- 22:14 CET Leader of Canada’s separatist Parti Quebecois steps down