At the sight of a 30-metre wave rushing towards shore, many people would be forgiven for wanting to swim very quickly the other way. Hawaiian surfer Garrett McNamara is certainly not one of them. The 45-year-old sees not danger, but instead a great window of opportunity and a chance to cement his position in the Guinness Book of Records.
His latest achievement was to tame a wave off the coast of Nazare, Portugal that is thought to have been as high as 100 feet (30.5 metres). The exact size of the wave will be confirmed once a video of McNamara’s performance has been thoroughly examined.
“Today was an awesome day and so much fun to be out there,” he tweeted just after his reached shore.
Whatever the verdict of the video judges, McNamara already holds the record for the biggest wave ever conquered by a surfer: in 2011, again off the coast of Nazare, he successfully took on a wave measured at 78 feet (23.7 metres).
In 2007, he famously took his board to Alaska to surf over waves generated by massive ice blocks that had broken away from glaciers.
McNamara was born in the very-much-inland Pittsfield, Massachusetts but his family moved to Hawaii’s North Shore when he was eleven years old. He now lives in Oahu, a town that has produced many of America’s best surfers as well as wave-loving folk-rock singer Jack Johnson.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1Memorial march: “My hope for Russia has died with the death of Boris Nemtsov”
- 2Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov
- 3‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold?
- 4Estonia votes in election amid concerns over Russia
- 5Turkish CCTV images show British girls on their way to join ISIL
- 1‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold?
- 2Russian opposition politician Boris Nemtsov shot dead in Moscow
- 3Fierce anti-Kremlin critic Boris Nemtsov shot dead in Moscow
- 4Woman missing at sea after freak waves at Game of Thrones set location
- 5Thousands rally in Athens as Syriza faces backlash over bailout
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 3eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 4English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 5Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails? | euronews, world news
- 6Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 7Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9Dramatic dashcam video captures Taiwan plane crash | euronews, world news
- 10International news | euronews, latest international news
- 11Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 12Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 13Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 14Barack Obama’s silly Buzzfeed video goes viral | euronews, world news
- 15Canada: Valentine’s Day mass shooting plot foiled say police | euronews, world news
- 16Implanted RFID chip controls office access for Stockholm workers | euronews, hi-tech
- 17‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold? | euronews, world news
- 18euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 19Elastic road surface reduces motorway noise pollution | euronews, futuris
- 20‘Europe’s interests come first’, says new Greek government | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 05:40 CET Trial to push for better flight tracking a year after MH370
- 05:33 CET Hopes for peaceful Russian transition fade with Nemtsov – Kasparov
- 05:31 CET Setting aside rancour over Hong Kong, China welcomes Prince William
- 05:25 CET Iraq launches offensive on Islamic State
- 05:21 CET Australia bars travel to Mosul ahead of planned offensive
- 05:01 CET North Korea ending Ebola travel restrictions – tour firms
- 04:35 CET North Korea, angered by drills, fires short-range missiles off…
- 03:17 CET The mysterious Mr. Ri returns, urbane survivor of North Korea purge