Desperate times call for desperate measures – like the French selling their vintage wines.
The city of Dijon, which is best know for its fine mustards, has just auctioned off half of the 7,000 bottles in its municipal cellar.
Dijon is the capital of the Burgundy region and the wines were originally bought for banquets and to be given to visiting dignitaries, but the city’s socialist mayor said they had more bottles than they needed.
The 151,000 euros raised will mostly be spent on social programmes, which the mayor said are more and more in demand in these times of austerity, but around 10 percent of the proceeds will be used to restock the cellar.
Local authorities are being affected by spending cuts as part of the Paris government’s austerity measures.
Experts say with the green shoots of recovery still a long way off, France’s economy is set to shrink further this year.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 6Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10Why World Elephant Day matters
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 13Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 14ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 15Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 16Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 17Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 18As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Wires > Business
- 03:53 CET China sets deadline for clean-up of grey market margin financing -…
- 03:32 CET China signs off on 3.2 billion pound loan to boost Venezuela oil…
- 03:18 CET LVMH hires former Apple executive as digital director
- 03:16 CET China brokerages pledge 3.07 billion pounds more to buy shares -…
- 01:35 CET Argentina orders HSBC’s local unit to name new president
- 00:04 CET European insurers’ assets under management hit $11 trillion -…
- 00:03 CET Exclusive – China’s AIIB to offer loans with fewer strings…
- 00:02 CET China’s AIIB to offer loans with fewer strings attached – sources