Many of the 11 million illegal immigrants living in the US are hoping the president’s speech on immigration reform will give them a better chance of citizenship.
Obama has his own blueprint for immigration reform, but he is expected to back another slightly different one put together by a bipartisan group of senators, which is to be “largely consistent” with the president’s plan.
Speaking from a Las Vegas high school on Tuesday around 11.15 local time, Obama will talk about an issue that led to one of the biggest re-election promises.
“It’s an opportunity for all of us, I really hope the president keeps his promise and lays out a plan,” said one man close to the San Ysidro port of entry in San Diego, California.
“It’s great if we all can be here, but laws on this side of the border have to be respected,” said a woman on the US side of the Mexican border bridge near San Ysidro.
Officials say Obama will not be revealing any legislation of his own, but is instead hoping to rally support for plan put together by the cross-party group of senators.
A number of efforts to overhaul immigration over the past two decades have failed – hampered by right-wing Republicans.
The new proposal also includes enhanced security to prevent illegal immigration in the future.
- 1Five children among a dozen migrants to drown off Turkish coast
- 2New coin issued to mark Queen’s record reign
- 3Thousands stuck in Budapest as Hungary refuses to allow migrants to travel
- 4Schengen recoil could turn EU travel back 20 years
- 5Eurostar suffers severe delays as migrants attempt to block Channel Tunnel
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 6Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10Why World Elephant Day matters
- 11UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16International news | euronews, latest international news
- 17Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 18As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Wires > News
- 18:58 CET Migrants cling to Hungarian train, lawmakers debate sealing border
- 18:48 CET U.N. to set up inspection regime to ease Yemen humanitarian plight
- 18:43 CET Father of drowned Syrian toddlers prepares to take bodies home
- 18:41 CET Guatemala’s president quits, faces charges in graft scandal
- 18:39 CET Iran’s Khamenei backs parliamentary vote on nuclear deal with…
- 18:37 CET Double suicide bombing in north Cameroon kills 19, wounds 143
- 17:51 CET France offers new farm aid as 1,500 tractors hit Paris streets
- 17:39 CET France says wing part found on Reunion island definitely from MH370