Crowds cheered on the streets of Timbuktu after French-led forces entered the historic city.
The Islamic militants who had been controlling it since last April reportedly put up little resistance.
The French military, which intervened in Mali two weeks ago to push back the rebel insurgency, says that the city’s airport was secured without a shot being fired.
French and Malian forces re-captured Gao, a former rebel stronghold, at the weekend and the recovery of Timbuktu is a key step in the recapturing of the whole country.
Although the rebels have been fleeing Timbuktu, they leave behind a trail of cultural devastation.
There are reports that thousands of priceless, ancient manuscripts have been destroyed during the rebels’ rule.
Founded around 1,000 years ago, Timbuktu is classed as a world heritage site by UNESCO.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1International investigators reach MH17 crash site in Ukraine
- 2Ukrainian prime minister’s triumphant speech after resignation rejected
- 3#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 4Fresh Israeli shelling hits UN school injuring scores of children
- 5Rosetta the comet hunter arrives at its target
- 1Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
- 2Scientists baffled by two new holes discovered in Siberia
- 3Russia defiant in face of tough EU-US sanctions
- 4#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 5Gaza: Deaths at Jebalya school after Israeli strike
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 3Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Arseniy Yatsenyuk
- 4Ukraine: ‘Disappointment’ at Yatsenyuk resignation
- 5Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
Wires > News
- 05:15 CET Disappointment, uncertainty after India blocks WTO trade deal
- 03:57 CET Taiwan gas blast kills 22, injures 270, shoots flames high into…
- 02:42 CET Sudanese woman who had faced execution for conversion arrives in…
- 02:07 CET For wandering tankers with $300 million of Kurdish crude, end-game…
- 00:47 CET Sierra Leone declares emergency as Ebola death toll hits 729
- 00:01 CET Iraqi Kurds, battling Islamist threat, press Washington for arms
- 23:11 CET Game of thrones- Afghan leadership vacuum raises summit questions
- 20:00 CET Ukraine premier stays on, envoys agree on crash site route