Crowds cheered on the streets of Timbuktu after French-led forces entered the historic city.
The Islamic militants who had been controlling it since last April reportedly put up little resistance.
The French military, which intervened in Mali two weeks ago to push back the rebel insurgency, says that the city’s airport was secured without a shot being fired.
French and Malian forces re-captured Gao, a former rebel stronghold, at the weekend and the recovery of Timbuktu is a key step in the recapturing of the whole country.
Although the rebels have been fleeing Timbuktu, they leave behind a trail of cultural devastation.
There are reports that thousands of priceless, ancient manuscripts have been destroyed during the rebels’ rule.
Founded around 1,000 years ago, Timbuktu is classed as a world heritage site by UNESCO.
- 1Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 2French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 3Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 4Bobbi Kristina Brown, Whitney Houston’s daughter, dies
- 5Coach has its roof sheared off in low tunnel near Lille
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 13Latest News Bulletin
- 14International news | euronews, latest international news
- 15Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 16Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 17At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 18Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 19‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 20Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
Wires > News
- 06:41 CET Gunmen in Egypt kill guard outside Niger embassy
- 06:41 CET Magnitude 6.3 earthquake rattles south-central Alaska
- 05:57 CET Malaysian parliament investigation of state fund on hold
- 05:54 CET Pakistan police say kill head of banned sectarian group
- 04:45 CET More than 2,000 migrants tried to enter Channel Tunnel in France
- 03:34 CET Singapore arrests man who tried to join Islamic State
- 02:55 CET Magnitude 5.9 quake hits Panama-Colombia border, no reports of…
- 00:59 CET Romania’s PM Ponta to go on holiday amid criminal probe