Crowds cheered on the streets of Timbuktu after French-led forces entered the historic city.
The Islamic militants who had been controlling it since last April reportedly put up little resistance.
The French military, which intervened in Mali two weeks ago to push back the rebel insurgency, says that the city’s airport was secured without a shot being fired.
French and Malian forces re-captured Gao, a former rebel stronghold, at the weekend and the recovery of Timbuktu is a key step in the recapturing of the whole country.
Although the rebels have been fleeing Timbuktu, they leave behind a trail of cultural devastation.
There are reports that thousands of priceless, ancient manuscripts have been destroyed during the rebels’ rule.
Founded around 1,000 years ago, Timbuktu is classed as a world heritage site by UNESCO.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Mali: no survivors found in wreckage of Algerian flight
- 3‘Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Yatsenyuk
- 4Sudanese mother sentenced to death in Sudan meets the Pope in Rome
- 5Air Algerie plane missing with 116 people on board
- 1Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 2#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 3TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 4Ukraine suspects one of its jets was shot down by another aircraft
- 5Israelis unite around troops fighting in Gaza
- 1[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 2Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 3#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 4298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 547 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
Wires > News
- 08:50 CET Crunch time for Gaza truce talks as death toll passes 800
- 08:46 CET Australia to ship Tamil asylum seekers to its mainland
- 07:49 CET Rise of Islamic State tests Syrian army strategy
- 07:40 CET Indonesia’s constitutional court ready to take on election result…
- 06:36 CET Over half of China military airfields threatened by high-rises
- 06:00 CET Australia to ship Tamil asylum seekers to its mainland -…
- 05:59 CET Impossible to determine cause of South Korea ferry businessman’s…
- 04:43 CET Venezuela protests arrest of ex-intelligence head wanted in U.S.