Thousands of screaming Malian fans flooded the streets of Bamako on Monday to celebrate after their national side drew 1-1 against Congo to reach the quarter finals of the African Cup of Nations.
After a furious start to the match, former Monaco striker Dieumerci Mbokani put the Leopards in front in the second minute with a calmly taken penalty, only for Mahamadou Samassa to draw the sides level 10 minutes later.
With Ghana downing Niger in Port Elizabeth to top Group B, The draw meant Mali finished with four points and they will next lock horns with hosts South Africa on Saturday.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
Wires > Sport
- 04:00 CET Querrey ousted at Atlanta Open, Istomin also departs
- 03:58 CET Mexico is back on the F1 calendar in 2015
- 03:26 CET McCaw returns to Crusaders line-up for Sharks semi
- 02:55 CET Tartan-tastic ceremony opens Glasgow Games
- 02:27 CET Striker Scocco leaving Sunderland to return to Newell’s
- 01:52 CET World Cup will inspire Rio Olympics – IOC’s Bach
- 21:46 CET Dunga names former team mates as Brazil assistants
- 21:44 CET Newcastle lead the Premier League jet-setters