Thousands of screaming Malian fans flooded the streets of Bamako on Monday to celebrate after their national side drew 1-1 against Congo to reach the quarter finals of the African Cup of Nations.
After a furious start to the match, former Monaco striker Dieumerci Mbokani put the Leopards in front in the second minute with a calmly taken penalty, only for Mahamadou Samassa to draw the sides level 10 minutes later.
With Ghana downing Niger in Port Elizabeth to top Group B, The draw meant Mali finished with four points and they will next lock horns with hosts South Africa on Saturday.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Tough desert day for the runners in the Marathon Des Sables
- 2Champions League: Chelsea and Real Madrid advance to last four
- 3Bayern beat United, Atletico stun Barca in the Champions League
- 4Liverpool remain on track for first league title in 24 years
- 5Champions League draw: Bayern Munich to face Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid meet Chelsea
Wires > Sport
- 01:41 CET Bale hails perfect night after King’s Cup winner
- 01:29 CET Barca facing first trophyless season in six years
- 01:21 CET Man City title hopes in tatters after Sunderland draw
- 01:20 CET Everton can still finish fourth, says ‘hurt’ Martinez
- 01:19 CET Ronaldo recovering well, still unsure on Bayern game
- 01:18 CET Benfica oust Porto as tensions flare in chaotic semi
- 01:17 CET City must win last five games, says Pellegrini
- 01:15 CET Chile’s Fernandes breaks leg, likely to miss World Cup