Thousands of screaming Malian fans flooded the streets of Bamako on Monday to celebrate after their national side drew 1-1 against Congo to reach the quarter finals of the African Cup of Nations.
After a furious start to the match, former Monaco striker Dieumerci Mbokani put the Leopards in front in the second minute with a calmly taken penalty, only for Mahamadou Samassa to draw the sides level 10 minutes later.
With Ghana downing Niger in Port Elizabeth to top Group B, The draw meant Mali finished with four points and they will next lock horns with hosts South Africa on Saturday.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
Wires > Sport
- 17:33 CET Bell returns to form as England extend advantage
- 16:10 CET Judge rules tax fraud case against Messi will go ahead
- 15:48 CET Malik to get frozen pension funds from PCB
- 14:50 CET Plenty to talk about as F1 takes a break
- 13:54 CET FIFA ask FIGC to investigate Italy racism row
- 12:52 CET Mercedes team order came from panic, says Lauda
- 12:49 CET Atletico bolster attack with France’s Griezmann
- 11:45 CET Swede Antonsson rejoins Copenhagen in time for Champions League…