Thousands of screaming Malian fans flooded the streets of Bamako on Monday to celebrate after their national side drew 1-1 against Congo to reach the quarter finals of the African Cup of Nations.
After a furious start to the match, former Monaco striker Dieumerci Mbokani put the Leopards in front in the second minute with a calmly taken penalty, only for Mahamadou Samassa to draw the sides level 10 minutes later.
With Ghana downing Niger in Port Elizabeth to top Group B, The draw meant Mali finished with four points and they will next lock horns with hosts South Africa on Saturday.
- 1Champions League: Bayern Munich v Atletico Madrid preview
- 2Champions League preview: Atletico Madrid v Bayern Munich
- 3Leicester City win Premier League after Tottenham draw with Chelsea
- 4Champions League: Real Madrid v Man City preview
- 5Colombia’s Nairo Quintana bumped up on podium in Tour de Romandie
Real Madrid to face city rivals Atletico Madrid in Champions League final
UCI use iPad to detect mechanical doping
NBA playoffs: Golden State extend lead against Trailblazers
No surprise in Atletico reaching Champions League final – Simeone
Kosovo and Florence Hardouin enjoy landmark votes at UEFA congress
Wires > Sport
- 01:44 CET Laughing Khan aims verbal jab at Trump
- 01:39 CET Brilliant Bale helps Real tame Man City to reach final
- 00:43 CET Furyk back from injury as McIlroy defends at Quail Hollow
- 23:30 CET Skipping Rio does not mean abandoning Australia, says Scott
- 22:51 CET Family, friends help Spieth process Masters meltdown
- 20:53 CET Patience rewarded with Olympic berth
- 20:10 CET Azarenka pulls out of Madrid Open with back injury
- 20:05 CET German cyclist looks to race with 3D-printed prosthesis in Rio