Thousands of screaming Malian fans flooded the streets of Bamako on Monday to celebrate after their national side drew 1-1 against Congo to reach the quarter finals of the African Cup of Nations.
After a furious start to the match, former Monaco striker Dieumerci Mbokani put the Leopards in front in the second minute with a calmly taken penalty, only for Mahamadou Samassa to draw the sides level 10 minutes later.
With Ghana downing Niger in Port Elizabeth to top Group B, The draw meant Mali finished with four points and they will next lock horns with hosts South Africa on Saturday.
- 1Fourteen Russian athletes test positive from 2008 Olympics
- 2Champions League final: Ronaldo limps out of training but insists he’ll be fit for finale
- 3France defender Varane ruled out of Euro 2016 with injury
- 4The Corner: The winners and losers from Europe’s Cup finals weekend
- 5NBA: Raptors claw their way back into Eastern Conference final
- 1Federer withdraws from French Open
- 2Fourteen Russian athletes test positive from 2008 Olympics
- 3European Aquatics Championships: Pellegrini defends 200 metres freestyle title to add more gold to Italian tally
- 4Spills and thrills as Lorenzo takes lead in MotoGP
- 5Sevilla strike back to beat Liverpool for record third straight Europa League title
Wires > Sport
- 15:38 CET Sharapova is included in Russian Olympic team
- 15:26 CET South Africa veteran Burger out of Ireland series
- 15:23 CET Simeone lift for Atletico ahead of final
- 15:01 CET Nadal downs Bagnis to notch up double century
- 14:50 CET Barca defender Alves interests several clubs, says agent
- 14:46 CET O’Neill wants to keep Irish spirits high with Dutch win
- 14:34 CET Everton veteran Barry dismisses retirement talk
- 14:23 CET Formula One remains Plan A for Maldonado