29/01/13 17:04 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Italy’s coast guard service has been looking for a missing F-16 US fighter jet off the country’s Adriatic coast.
Italian and US aircraft are also involved in the search for the jet and its pilot, believed to have been the only person aboard.
Air traffic control lost contact with the F-16 on Monday evening, but fog and darkness hampered the search.
The US military said the plane took off from Italy’s Aviano air base on a training mission over the Adriatic Sea.
Italian media has reported that a fishing boat picked up some pieces of debris that could be parts of a US Air Force plane.
Aviano is the base for the 31st Fighter Wing. The US Air Force said a board of officers would investigate the incident.
“Wing leadership remains hopeful that we will safely rescue our pilot,” an Air Force statement said.
- 1Hero’s welcome for Ukraine pilot Nadiya Savchenko after Russia prisoner swap
- 2Russia-Hungary meeting ahead of EU sanctions decision
- 3Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
- 4The strategic map of the the offensive against ISIL
- 5Germany: Pegida objects to Kinder using images of non-white children on its chocolate wrappers
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2Brazil in crisis after leaked tape forces out interim President’s ally
- 3EgyptAir crash: suggestions of explosion on board ‘mere assumptions’ – official
- 4A handshake, a kiss and a hug at historic meeting of Catholic and Muslim leaders
- 5French union blockades spark petrol shortages
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 3The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
Latest world news
Migrant rescue from capsized boat is caught on camera
Paris attacks survivor slams Eagles of Death Metal frontman for Muslim conspiracy comments
Germany’s carrot and stick approach to refugee integration
Prominent journalist freed in Azerbaijan
French nuclear workers vote to join strike against labour laws
Wires > News
- 05:31 CET China says its people will never stand for Taiwan independence
- 04:55 CET Japan’s Abe takes G7 leaders to shrine as economy tops summit…
- 03:56 CET Australia immigration policy threatens to hijack election agenda
- 03:18 CET NZ parliament in lock down after security threat ahead of budget
- 03:15 CET Biden holds calls with Cypriot president, Turkish Cypriot leader
- 03:12 CET Militant group purportedly claims new attack in Nigeria’s Delta
- 03:07 CET Lebanese citizenship law strips women of identity and property
- 02:55 CET EU’s Tusk urges global solidarity on refugee crisis