Italy’s coast guard service has been looking for a missing F-16 US fighter jet off the country’s Adriatic coast.
Italian and US aircraft are also involved in the search for the jet and its pilot, believed to have been the only person aboard.
Air traffic control lost contact with the F-16 on Monday evening, but fog and darkness hampered the search.
The US military said the plane took off from Italy’s Aviano air base on a training mission over the Adriatic Sea.
Italian media has reported that a fishing boat picked up some pieces of debris that could be parts of a US Air Force plane.
Aviano is the base for the 31st Fighter Wing. The US Air Force said a board of officers would investigate the incident.
“Wing leadership remains hopeful that we will safely rescue our pilot,” an Air Force statement said.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ukrainian rebel attacks on city of Mariupol are condemned by the UN as a war crime
- 2Spain: NATO plane crash kills 11, injures 21
- 3Fidel Castro breaks silence on Cuba-US talks to resume relations
- 4[As it happened] Remembering the Holocaust at Auschwitz, 70 years on
- 5Ex-Russian spy Alexander Litvinenko ‘killed at third attempt’
- 1Greek elections: SYRIZA on course to win, but may fall short of majority
- 2German men ‘can use toilet while standing’, judge rules
- 3Captured Ukraine troops forced to face angry crowd after Donetsk bus stop shelling
- 4No word on Japanese hostages after ISIL deadline passes
- 5Thailand: Army urges respect for Yingluck Shinawatra impeachment
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2The power of the pen: Cartoonists worldwide react to the Charlie Hebdo attack | euronews, world news
- 3Immigration, racism in sport and the rise of extremism – Cantona shares his views | euronews, interview
- 4[LIVE] 12 dead after gun attack at French satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo | euronews, world news
- 5[LIVE NOW] Massive unity rally in Paris, with similar marches in other French cities | euronews, world news
- 6Muslim groups fear backlash after terrorist attacks in Paris | euronews, news
- 7[LIVE] Confusion over reports two killed in Paris shootout, as police close in on Charlie Hebdo suspects | euronews, world news
- 8“ISIL is the baby of George W Bush” | euronews, news
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10Medieval Bruges is to get its own underground beer pipeline | euronews, world news
- 11Almost four million turn out for unity rallies across France | euronews, world news
- 12NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 13A defiant Charlie Hebdo: it’s not the front page the terrorists would’ve wanted | euronews, world news
- 14Key questions around the Charlie Hebdo killings go unanswered | euronews, world news
- 15HarperCollins wipes Israel off the map | euronews, world news
- 16euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 17Getting to know Sir Tony and “the world’s greatest tenor” | euronews, musica
- 18eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 19Grim task of retrieving bodies after wreckage of missing AirAsia plane found | euronews, world news
- 20Charlie Hebdo: Israeli paper deletes women from Paris march | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 04:48 CET Pentagon official urges NATO to focus on innovative weapons
- 04:47 CET North Korea ‘demanded $10 billion in cash and food’ for summit…
- 04:06 CET Hostage in Sydney siege ‘killed by police bullet ricochet’
- 04:04 CET Laser’s co-inventor, Nobel laureate Charles Townes, dead at 99
- 03:37 CET Greek PM freezes privatisations, markets tumble
- 02:28 CET Exclusive: New Iran U.N. envoy appointee expected to get U.S. visa…
- 01:23 CET North Korea may be trying to restart nuclear reactor – U.S. think…
- 00:43 CET Fidel Castro in good health, Brazilian visitor says