Italy’s coast guard service has been looking for a missing F-16 US fighter jet off the country’s Adriatic coast.
Italian and US aircraft are also involved in the search for the jet and its pilot, believed to have been the only person aboard.
Air traffic control lost contact with the F-16 on Monday evening, but fog and darkness hampered the search.
The US military said the plane took off from Italy’s Aviano air base on a training mission over the Adriatic Sea.
Italian media has reported that a fishing boat picked up some pieces of debris that could be parts of a US Air Force plane.
Aviano is the base for the 31st Fighter Wing. The US Air Force said a board of officers would investigate the incident.
“Wing leadership remains hopeful that we will safely rescue our pilot,” an Air Force statement said.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Canada raises its terror threat following attack on soldiers
- 2‘Criminal negligence’ blamed for death of Total boss Christophe de Margerie
- 3Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner
- 4Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain
- 5Maritime drama deepens as Sweden extends ‘mystery submarine’ search
- 1Maritime drama deepens as Sweden extends ‘mystery submarine’ search
- 2German intelligence report blames pro-Russian rebels for MH17 crash
- 3‘Criminal negligence’ blamed for death of Total boss Christophe de Margerie
- 4Total boss dies in Moscow air crash
- 5Total oil CEO Christophe de Margerie dies in Moscow plane crash; snowplough driver was ‘drunk’
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 7Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 8How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 9Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 10Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 11European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 14Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 15euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
- 16All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 17euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 18Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 19Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 20US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 07:32 CET Rise in divorce in Iran linked to shift in status of women
- 07:13 CET African rivalries weaken U.N. hand against rebels in Congo
- 06:34 CET Japan to send officials to North Korea for update on abductee…
- 06:32 CET Special Report – Traffickers use abductions, prison ships to feed…
- 05:52 CET North Korea unexpectedly frees American Jeffrey Fowle
- 04:13 CET High chance of cyclone in southern Gulf of Mexico – NHC
- 04:05 CET Japan prosecutors set to rule on possible Fukushima indictments
- 04:03 CET Father of British Islamic State hostage dies – media