29/01/13 17:04 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Italy’s coast guard service has been looking for a missing F-16 US fighter jet off the country’s Adriatic coast.
Italian and US aircraft are also involved in the search for the jet and its pilot, believed to have been the only person aboard.
Air traffic control lost contact with the F-16 on Monday evening, but fog and darkness hampered the search.
The US military said the plane took off from Italy’s Aviano air base on a training mission over the Adriatic Sea.
Italian media has reported that a fishing boat picked up some pieces of debris that could be parts of a US Air Force plane.
Aviano is the base for the 31st Fighter Wing. The US Air Force said a board of officers would investigate the incident.
“Wing leadership remains hopeful that we will safely rescue our pilot,” an Air Force statement said.
Latest world news
Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
Reckitt Benckiser apologises over South Korea deadly disinfectant
US cruise ship docks in Havana over 40 years since the last sailed the Florida Straits
Wires > News
- 00:30 CET Obama says Chinese-led trade deal shows need for TPP – Washington…
- 00:29 CET U.S. says Iraq’s PM in ‘strong position’ amid political unrest
- 00:24 CET NATO weighs four battalions in Eastern states to deter Russia -…
- 00:17 CET Argentine court probes ex-president Fernandez over new case – media
- 23:04 CET U.S. tells Pakistan it will have to fund F-16s itself
- 22:14 CET Leader of Canada’s separatist Parti Quebecois steps down
- 22:13 CET Emotional return as first U.S. cruise in decades reaches Cuba
- 22:11 CET EU executive to propose visa-free travel for Turks on Wednesday…