Italy’s coast guard service has been looking for a missing F-16 US fighter jet off the country’s Adriatic coast.
Italian and US aircraft are also involved in the search for the jet and its pilot, believed to have been the only person aboard.
Air traffic control lost contact with the F-16 on Monday evening, but fog and darkness hampered the search.
The US military said the plane took off from Italy’s Aviano air base on a training mission over the Adriatic Sea.
Italian media has reported that a fishing boat picked up some pieces of debris that could be parts of a US Air Force plane.
Aviano is the base for the 31st Fighter Wing. The US Air Force said a board of officers would investigate the incident.
“Wing leadership remains hopeful that we will safely rescue our pilot,” an Air Force statement said.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1‘Allahu Akbar’ lone wolf attacker shot dead by French police
- 2Who is the EU’s worst at spending Brussels’ billions?
- 3ISIL fighters ‘flee’ Iraq’s Sinjar as Peshmerga troops ‘make gains’
- 4New laws to ‘wipe out’ militants after Pakistan school massacre
- 5New Romanian President Klaus Iohannis vows to tackle corruption
- 1Rosetta team is euronews’ people of 2014
- 2Pakistanis protest against Taliban as army intensifies offensive in north-west
- 3‘Allahu Akbar’ lone wolf attacker shot dead by French police
- 4Australia: two hostages and gunman dead after police storm Sydney siege café
- 5ISIL fighters ‘flee’ Iraq’s Sinjar as Peshmerga troops ‘make gains’
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 3Le Pen: I admire ‘cool head’ Putin’s resistance to West’s new Cold War | euronews, interview
- 4McCain blasts Europe’s approach to Ukraine conflict ‘a joke’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 5Which countries in Europe cause the most air pollution damage? | euronews, world news
- 6Moldova pro-EU parties take narrow lead in elections | euronews, world news
- 7Grenoble: Europe’s first ad-free city | euronews, world news
- 8NATO joins search for ‘Russian submarine’ off Scottish coast | euronews, world news
- 9European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 10Ukraine reports accident at Zaporizhzhya nuclear power plant | euronews, world news
- 11Crude awakening: Romania’s Black Sea oil and gas finds fuel Europe’s energy hopes | euronews, reporter
- 12The American Century comes to an end as China becomes the world’s largest economy | euronews, economy
- 13International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 14Belgium’s former queen Fabiola dies at 86 | euronews, world news
- 15Germans demand honour for Turkish woman beaten to death | euronews, world news
- 16Chechen ‘death’ unit fighting with rebels in eastern Ukraine | euronews, world news
- 17Portugal: Ex-PM José Socrates held in corruption probe | euronews, world news
- 18Pakistan Taliban ‘kill over 100’ in Peshawar school attack | euronews, world news
- 19Israeli warplanes hit targets in Syria | euronews, world news
- 20Raids across Turkey target media outlets linked to Erdogan foe Fethullah Gulen | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 19:06 CET Libya fighting spreads to third oil port, 11 killed in Benghazi
- 18:32 CET U.S. sees Cuban thaw boosting odds of returned fugitives
- 18:17 CET Al Jazeera suspends Egypt channel as Doha, Cairo mull closer ties
- 17:35 CET Cameroon army says dismantles Boko Haram training camp
- 17:26 CET Italy says breaks up neo-fascist group suspected of planning…
- 17:11 CET From Baltic to Asia, East-West aerial confrontations heat up
- 17:00 CET Police officers’ slaying raises pressure on New York mayor
- 15:55 CET Turkey’s Erdogan says birth control ‘treason’ against Turkish…