Iran claims to have successfully sent a live monkey into space, causing international consternation.
The primate made the journey in a pioneer rocket, reaching an altitude of 120 kilometres.
State television showed footage of the monkey strapped into a harness and being placed in the rocket.
International concern centres on the idea that similar spacecraft could be used to carry nuclear warheads.
Iran says its nuclear programme is for energy generation only. But the US says the monkey launch violates UN rules, while the EU is waiting for Iran to agree to fresh talks on the issue.
Officials say the monkey arrived back unscathed. Experts say the launch could be a significant advance in more ways than one. Tehran has announced it wants to send a man into space by 2019.
In Washington, US State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland told reporters she could not confirm whether Iran had
successfully sent a monkey into space or conducted any launch at all, saying that if it had done so “it’s a serious concern”.
Nuland said such a launch would violate UN Security Council Resolution 1929, whose text bars Iran from “any activity
related to ballistic missiles capable of delivering nuclear weapons, including launches using ballistic missile technology.”
- 1Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 2What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 3Lionel Messi retires from international football
- 4Paris and Berlin agree on a strategy following Britain’s shock exit vote
- 5Iceland’s new President Gudni Johannesson off to France for the football
Latest world news
US college basketball loses coaching legend: Pat Summitt dies, aged 64
IKEA recalls millions of chests and dressers following link to children’s deaths
France: deadly fire engulfs chemical plant near Lyon
Dozens are killed and wounded in multiple suicide bomb attacks on Istanbul’s Ataturk airport
Thousands protest in France as Senate approves controversial labour law
Wires > News
- 02:23 CET Brazil Congress investigates lawmaker’s alleged support of torture
- 01:19 CET Dutch PM Rutte wants ‘binding’ assurances over EU’s Ukraine deal
- 01:18 CET As Duterte takes over in Philippines, police killings stir fear
- 00:15 CET Italy, Netherlands propose split U.N. Security Council seat for…
- 00:12 CET Clinton leads Trump by 11 points in U.S. presidential race -…
- 00:09 CET Canada presses China over reports of Hong Kong visa clamp down
- 23:44 CET Exclusive – Trump supporters more likely to view blacks…
- 23:11 CET Women subjected to torture by Mexican police, armed forces – report