29/01/13 19:45 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Following weeks of mass demonstrations both for and against legalising gay marriage and adoptions, the French parliament has started debating the proposed legislation.
The lawmakers, like the public, are sharply divided.
Justice Minister Christine Taubira got straight to perhaps the most polarising issue:
“Homosexual couples will have the same adoption rights as heterosexual couples,” Taubira said.
Her statement was met with energetic applause by many of her colleagues and stony silence from others.
Civil unions exist under French law, but legalising same-sex marriages and adoptions, a campaign promise of President François Hollande, has sparked fierce protests.
Thousands have taken to the streets to protest against it, while huge numbers have also taken to the streets to support it.
Organisers estimated that 400,000 people attended a Paris rally on Sunday in favour of legalising gay marriage.
- 1‘Human error responsible’ for deadly Bad Aibling train crash – sources
- 2Two commuter trains collide head-on in Germany
- 3Leopard enters Indian school, mauls six people
- 4Refugees in Hungary offered classes to speed integration
- 5New migrant tragedy claims 27 lives as Greece grapples with refugee crisis
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 4Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 5Partnering to grow Europe
- 6Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 7Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 8Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 9Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 10Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 11Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 12Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 13Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 14Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 15Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 16latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 18Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 19Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 20International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
Wires > News
- 22:16 CET Consternation at Austrian case of Nazi camp survivors called ‘a…
- 22:01 CET U.N. Security Council members push Russia to stop Aleppo bombing
- 21:58 CET U.S. says political crisis building in Democratic Republic of Congo
- 21:48 CET Republicans Christie, Fiorina dropping White House bids
- 21:23 CET Congo opposition calls for general strike to make Kabila stand down
- 20:24 CET Damascus expects tough but short battle for Aleppo
- 20:12 CET Argentine football team Huracan’s bus overturns in Venezuela…
- 20:05 CET Poland to join fight vs Islamic State in return for NATO help in…