Following weeks of mass demonstrations both for and against legalising gay marriage and adoptions, the French parliament has started debating the proposed legislation.
The lawmakers, like the public, are sharply divided.
Justice Minister Christine Taubira got straight to perhaps the most polarising issue:
“Homosexual couples will have the same adoption rights as heterosexual couples,” Taubira said.
Her statement was met with energetic applause by many of her colleagues and stony silence from others.
Civil unions exist under French law, but legalising same-sex marriages and adoptions, a campaign promise of President François Hollande, has sparked fierce protests.
Thousands have taken to the streets to protest against it, while huge numbers have also taken to the streets to support it.
Organisers estimated that 400,000 people attended a Paris rally on Sunday in favour of legalising gay marriage.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Further gunfire, but also war of words over crisis in Ukraine
- 2Kenya government vows to hunt down al-Shabaab bus attack killers
- 3Recording of Philae probe landing on Comet 67P released
- 4Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania
- 5Spain: Singer Isabel Pantoja jailed for two years
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 7India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 8[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 9Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 10European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 13Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 14Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 15Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 16US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 17Syria: Islamic extremists pledge to press ahead with battle for Kobani | euronews, world news
- 18International news | euronews, latest international news
- 19Anti-immigration protests in Rome | euronews, world news
- 20Portugal: Ex-PM José Socrates held in corruption probe | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 11:53 CET Israeli forces kill Palestinian along Gaza border – Palestinian…
- 11:48 CET Zimbabwe’s Mugabe tightens grip on party, to choose successor
- 11:47 CET Two senior Thai police face royal insult charge as cases mount
- 11:45 CET Putin says Russia is not isolated over Ukraine crisis – TASS
- 11:37 CET Iraqi forces battle Islamic State in towns north of Baghdad
- 11:28 CET Iran says nuclear deal ‘impossible’ by November 24 deadline – ISNA
- 09:00 CET Bangladesh arrests woman leader of militant outfit
- 09:00 CET Voting gets underway in Tunisian presidential election