Following weeks of mass demonstrations both for and against legalising gay marriage and adoptions, the French parliament has started debating the proposed legislation.
The lawmakers, like the public, are sharply divided.
Justice Minister Christine Taubira got straight to perhaps the most polarising issue:
“Homosexual couples will have the same adoption rights as heterosexual couples,” Taubira said.
Her statement was met with energetic applause by many of her colleagues and stony silence from others.
Civil unions exist under French law, but legalising same-sex marriages and adoptions, a campaign promise of President François Hollande, has sparked fierce protests.
Thousands have taken to the streets to protest against it, while huge numbers have also taken to the streets to support it.
Organisers estimated that 400,000 people attended a Paris rally on Sunday in favour of legalising gay marriage.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1No word on Japanese hostages after ISIL deadline passes
- 2Japan outrage at ISIL claims it has executed hostage Haruna Yukawa
- 3‘Russia needs to return Crimea to Ukraine,’ says Kyiv official
- 4At least 27 killed in rocket attack on Ukraine’s Mariupol
- 5German men ‘can use toilet while standing’, judge rules
- 1German men ‘can use toilet while standing’, judge rules
- 2Thailand: Army urges respect for Yingluck Shinawatra impeachment
- 3Captured Ukraine troops forced to face angry crowd after Donetsk bus stop shelling
- 4Yemen’s president resigns after standoff with Houthi rebels
- 5Donetsk violence shatters Ukraine ceasefire efforts
- 1Where do YOU rank on the world’s wealth scale?
- 2Immigration, racism in sport and the rise of extremism – Cantona shares his views
- 3Anti-Charlie protests turn violent in Niger, Pakistan and Algeria
- 4Kyiv claims victory in new battle for control of Donetsk airport
- 5Pope Francis says Catholics don’t need to breed ‘like rabbits’
- 1The power of the pen: Cartoonists worldwide react to the Charlie Hebdo attack | euronews, world news
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Immigration, racism in sport and the rise of extremism – Cantona shares his views | euronews, interview
- 4[LIVE] 12 dead after gun attack at French satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo | euronews, world news
- 5[LIVE NOW] Massive unity rally in Paris, with similar marches in other French cities | euronews, world news
- 6[LIVE] Second hostage crisis erupts in Paris as police close in on Charlie Hebdo suspects | euronews, world news
- 7Muslim groups fear backlash after terrorist attacks in Paris | euronews, news
- 8Medieval Bruges is to get its own underground beer pipeline | euronews, world news
- 9Almost four million turn out for unity rallies across France | euronews, world news
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11“ISIL is the baby of George W Bush” | euronews, news
- 12A defiant Charlie Hebdo: it’s not the front page the terrorists would’ve wanted | euronews, world news
- 13France: Angouleme council takes down anti-homeless cages around benches after outcry | euronews, world news
- 14HarperCollins wipes Israel off the map | euronews, world news
- 15euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 16NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Key questions around the Charlie Hebdo killings go unanswered | euronews, world news
- 18eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 19Grim task of retrieving bodies after wreckage of missing AirAsia plane found | euronews, world news
- 20Charlie Hebdo: Israeli paper deletes women from Paris march | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 02:27 CET Japan condemns apparent IS execution, demands hostage release
- 01:15 CET U.S. airline flights land in Atlanta after bomb threats
- 01:05 CET Greek leftists Syriza aim for historic election win
- 22:08 CET Protester killed in Egypt on eve of anniversary of 2011 uprising
- 21:57 CET Saudi foreign minister has successful back surgery in U.S. – agency
- 21:31 CET Lungu wins Zambia presidential election with 48.3 percent of vote
- 20:11 CET Unlikely buddies Obama and Modi aim high on India trip
- 19:58 CET Kosovo police fire teargas in anti-government protest