A former Ukrainian police officer has been jailed for life for the murder of an investigative journalist 12 years ago.
Police General Oleksiy Pukach is the fourth person to be convicted over the grisly killing of Georgiy Gongadze, an editor who wrote of political corruption and crime.
Pukach was on the run for four years before being arrested in 2009 and during his trial he repeated allegations that ex-President Leonid Kuchma and other officials were equally guilty.
The state prosecutor was quick to dismiss the claims. “He never said they actually witnessed the killings, so I don’t know why they should be mentioned in the verdict,” said Volodymyr Shylov.
Valentyna Telychenko, the Gongadze lawyer said the family will appeal because the judges failed to establish who gave the ultimate order to kill him.
“But the court ruled the murder was motivated exclusively by people hoping for promotion,” she added.
The headless body of the 31-year-old journalist was found in woods a month and a half after he was abducted in the centre of the capital Kiev.
The case seriously shook authorities in the former Soviet republic at a time when they kept a tight rein on the media.
Our reporter Evgeniya Rudenko in Kiev says his death also sparked huge demonstrations which marked a turning point in Kuchma’s 10-year rule.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 3South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 4Russia: Politician’s extraordinary tirade at pregnant journalist
- 5Ukraine offers devolution as pro-Russian separatists vow to continue protests
- 1South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 2Ukraine: US, Russia and EU strike deal after crisis talks
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Geneva talks defy predictions of failure but will words turn into actions?
- 5A mother’s slap signals mercy for a convicted Iranian murderer
Wires > News
- 19:13 CET Italy gives wife, daughter of wanted Kazakh banker refugee status
- 19:04 CET Egyptian court jails Muslim Brotherhood leader for insulting…
- 17:05 CET Strong 7.5 magnitude quake hits off Papua New Guinea
- 17:05 CET Iran says plane at airport leased to Ghana after U.S.-flagged…
- 17:04 CET New militant group claims responsibility for Friday blast in Cairo
- 17:00 CET Two killed in Bahrain car explosion
- 15:39 CET Kidnapped French journalists found on Turkey’s Syrian border
- 15:36 CET In Damascus, Christians briefly ignore war for Easter