A former Ukrainian police officer has been jailed for life for the murder of an investigative journalist 12 years ago.
Police General Oleksiy Pukach is the fourth person to be convicted over the grisly killing of Georgiy Gongadze, an editor who wrote of political corruption and crime.
Pukach was on the run for four years before being arrested in 2009 and during his trial he repeated allegations that ex-President Leonid Kuchma and other officials were equally guilty.
The state prosecutor was quick to dismiss the claims. “He never said they actually witnessed the killings, so I don’t know why they should be mentioned in the verdict,” said Volodymyr Shylov.
Valentyna Telychenko, the Gongadze lawyer said the family will appeal because the judges failed to establish who gave the ultimate order to kill him.
“But the court ruled the murder was motivated exclusively by people hoping for promotion,” she added.
The headless body of the 31-year-old journalist was found in woods a month and a half after he was abducted in the centre of the capital Kiev.
The case seriously shook authorities in the former Soviet republic at a time when they kept a tight rein on the media.
Our reporter Evgeniya Rudenko in Kiev says his death also sparked huge demonstrations which marked a turning point in Kuchma’s 10-year rule.
- 1MH370 suspected flaperon arrives for idenification at BEA, Toulouse
- 2Scuffles at British side of Channel Tunnel in Kent over Calais migrants
- 3Bin Laden family jet crashes in England
- 4Aung San Suu Kyi welcoms Angela Jolie to Myanmar
- 5US Marines face a reduction in numbers in the debate over defense cuts
- 1Orthodox Jew ‘repeats’ Jerusalem Gay Pride stabbing attack
- 2Ukraine: Civilians killed in shelling amid fragile truce
- 3Migrant crisis becomes hot political issue in Britain and France
- 4Palestinian toddler killed in ‘terrorist’ arson attack, says Israel
- 5Greek PM suggests party referendum to overcome split in Syriza
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 10Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20The Pluto flyby : what we’ve learnt so far
Latest world news
MH370 suspected flaperon arrives for idenification at BEA, Toulouse
Scuffles at British side of Channel Tunnel in Kent over Calais migrants
Aung San Suu Kyi welcoms Angela Jolie to Myanmar
West Bank: Hundreds attend funeral for Palestinian protester amid increased tensions
Trans-Pacific Partnership talks fail to deliver regional trade deal
Wires > News
- 23:06 CET Finland must watch far-right closely after violent rally – minister
- 20:11 CET Kurdish militia in Syria accuses Turkey of ‘provocative’ attacks
- 18:19 CET Egypt extends for six months military mandate in Gulf, Red Sea
- 18:03 CET Iran’s parliament has no power over nuclear deal, top negotiator…
- 17:29 CET Merkel to run for 4th term in 2017 – Der Spiegel
- 17:17 CET Dutch activists call for Caribbean Netherlands to adopt gay rights
- 17:09 CET Iraq’s Barzani condemns Turkish bombing he says killed civilians
- 16:34 CET Myanmar leader goes to disaster zones as floods batter countryside