A former Ukrainian police officer has been jailed for life for the murder of an investigative journalist 12 years ago.
Police General Oleksiy Pukach is the fourth person to be convicted over the grisly killing of Georgiy Gongadze, an editor who wrote of political corruption and crime.
Pukach was on the run for four years before being arrested in 2009 and during his trial he repeated allegations that ex-President Leonid Kuchma and other officials were equally guilty.
The state prosecutor was quick to dismiss the claims. “He never said they actually witnessed the killings, so I don’t know why they should be mentioned in the verdict,” said Volodymyr Shylov.
Valentyna Telychenko, the Gongadze lawyer said the family will appeal because the judges failed to establish who gave the ultimate order to kill him.
“But the court ruled the murder was motivated exclusively by people hoping for promotion,” she added.
The headless body of the 31-year-old journalist was found in woods a month and a half after he was abducted in the centre of the capital Kiev.
The case seriously shook authorities in the former Soviet republic at a time when they kept a tight rein on the media.
Our reporter Evgeniya Rudenko in Kiev says his death also sparked huge demonstrations which marked a turning point in Kuchma’s 10-year rule.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Oklahoma supreme court halts executions pending drugs hearing
- 2Ukraine: US releases photos of alleged Russian special forces in the east
- 3Nepalese sherpas threaten strike in wake of Everest avalanche tragedy
- 4Death toll now 87 in South Korea ferry sinking; 215 missing
- 5Miracle stowaway survives five hour jet flight hidden in wheel well
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 5Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
Wires > News
- 22:36 CET Vandals deface Pope John Paul II memorial before canonisation
- 22:24 CET Car bomb kills four in Kenyan capital
- 22:03 CET Hamas, Abbas’s PLO announce reconciliation agreement
- 22:02 CET Three charged in plot to ship chemical lab equipment from U.S. to…
- 21:55 CET Turkey’s Erdogan offers condolences for 1915 killings of Armenians
- 21:40 CET Russia, China block Central African Republic blacklistings at U.N.
- 21:28 CET U.S. Western Sahara draft urges respecting human rights, no …
- 21:02 CET New law to lure investors to Egypt could feed corruption, critics…