A former Ukrainian police officer has been jailed for life for the murder of an investigative journalist 12 years ago.
Police General Oleksiy Pukach is the fourth person to be convicted over the grisly killing of Georgiy Gongadze, an editor who wrote of political corruption and crime.
Pukach was on the run for four years before being arrested in 2009 and during his trial he repeated allegations that ex-President Leonid Kuchma and other officials were equally guilty.
The state prosecutor was quick to dismiss the claims. “He never said they actually witnessed the killings, so I don’t know why they should be mentioned in the verdict,” said Volodymyr Shylov.
Valentyna Telychenko, the Gongadze lawyer said the family will appeal because the judges failed to establish who gave the ultimate order to kill him.
“But the court ruled the murder was motivated exclusively by people hoping for promotion,” she added.
The headless body of the 31-year-old journalist was found in woods a month and a half after he was abducted in the centre of the capital Kiev.
The case seriously shook authorities in the former Soviet republic at a time when they kept a tight rein on the media.
Our reporter Evgeniya Rudenko in Kiev says his death also sparked huge demonstrations which marked a turning point in Kuchma’s 10-year rule.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 173-year-old Sicilian Sergio Mattarella is Italy’s new president
- 2Funeral of singer Demis Roussos held in Athens
- 3No more Troika talks as Greece seeks new debt deal
- 4Greece warned against reversing austerity as it rejects bailout administrators
- 544 police commandos killed in anti-terror op mourned in Philippines
- 1Ukrainian artillery fire thwarts rebel plan to surround government troops in Debaltseve
- 244 police commandos killed in anti-terror op mourned in Philippines
- 3Greece warned against reversing austerity as it rejects bailout administrators
- 4Gunman interrupts Dutch broadcast to demand airtime before being arrested
- 5‘Positive signs’ Greece will work together with lenders to reach deal
- 1Greek elections: SYRIZA on course to win, but may fall short of majority
- 2French co-pilot was at controls of doomed AirAsia passenger plane say investigators
- 3No word on Japanese hostages after ISIL deadline passes
- 4Japan and Jordan join forces to secure release of two of their nationals from the hands of ISIL
- 5Ukrainian rebel attacks on city of Mariupol are condemned by the UN as a war crime
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2The power of the pen: Cartoonists worldwide react to the Charlie Hebdo attack | euronews, world news
- 3Immigration, racism in sport and the rise of extremism – Cantona shares his views | euronews, interview
- 4[LIVE] 12 dead after gun attack at French satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo | euronews, world news
- 5[LIVE NOW] Massive unity rally in Paris, with similar marches in other French cities | euronews, world news
- 6[LIVE] Second hostage crisis erupts in Paris as police close in on Charlie Hebdo suspects | euronews, world news
- 7Muslim groups fear backlash after terrorist attacks in Paris | euronews, news
- 8“ISIL is the baby of George W Bush” | euronews, news
- 9Medieval Bruges is to get its own underground beer pipeline | euronews, world news
- 10Almost four million turn out for unity rallies across France | euronews, world news
- 11International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 12euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 13Key questions around the Charlie Hebdo killings go unanswered | euronews, world news
- 14eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 15A defiant Charlie Hebdo: it’s not the front page the terrorists would’ve wanted | euronews, world news
- 16HarperCollins wipes Israel off the map | euronews, world news
- 17NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Getting to know Sir Tony and “the world’s greatest tenor” | euronews, musica
- 19Charlie Hebdo: Israeli paper deletes women from Paris march | euronews, world news
- 20International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
Wires > News
- 22:36 CET Suspected U.S. drone strike kills al Qaeda militants in Yemen
- 21:45 CET Anti-euro German AfD party aims to end leadership dispute
- 21:21 CET Exclusive – FBI says it had no prior knowledge of Phillipine raid…
- 21:08 CET NASA satellite to measure water in Earth’s soil sent into orbit
- 20:51 CET U.S. general says Syrian town of Kobani taken from Islamic State
- 20:47 CET Chile’s Bachelet takes on conservatives with plan to ease abortion…
- 20:44 CET Iraq’s PM pledges hard line against alleged militia abuses
- 20:41 CET Israeli soldiers kill Palestinian in the West Bank