Local people in Port Said alerted euronews correspondent Mohammed Shaikhibrahim to the presence of a nearby sniper.
There was much pointing and shouting as attention was drawn to a building further down the street, where the sound of shooting was clearly coming from.
An orange ambulance did a U-turn; it was believed to be evacuating someone who had just been wounded.
It was claimed that minutes beforehand, four civilians were injured by the sniper’s bullets.
“There are snipers,” cried one man, in an agitated state. “They’re killing people.”
Others pointed out what appeared to be spent cartridges lying on the ground.
A closer look enabled a barred window in a low-rise building to be singled out. A figure could be seen peering out.
He was wearing a black mask, what looked like a camouflaged vest – and appeared to be holding a gun as he scanned the street outside.
The man’s presence raises more questions that it answers. Who was he: police, army, some kind of militant?
Our correspondent – who was taken to see more damage apparently caused by a sniper – says Egypt’s military have not intervened in the violence; rather they have been protecting buildings important to the state, such as banks, government offices and power stations.
By late Monday, the death toll in recent violence in Port Said rose to at least 42 dead and over 1,000 wounded, according to medical sources in the city.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1[Watch] Passengers emergency evacuate crash-landed Airbus A330
- 2Iraq intensifies assault on ISIL stronghold, Tikrit
- 3Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted
- 4‘No survivors’ as 33 people are confirmed dead in Ukraine mine blast
- 5Germany’s Merkel rebuffs talk of new Greek bailout
- 1Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted
- 2‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold?
- 3Australian drug smugglers Chan and Sukumaran moved to ‘Indonesia’s Alcatraz’
- 4[Watch] Passengers emergency evacuate crash-landed Airbus A330
- 5Mexico volcano eruption causes further flight cancellations
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 3eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 4Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 5English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 6Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 7Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 8International news | euronews, latest international news
- 9Dramatic dashcam video captures Taiwan plane crash | euronews, world news
- 10Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 11European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 12Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 13‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold? | euronews, world news
- 14Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 15euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 16Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 17Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 18Implanted RFID chip controls office access for Stockholm workers | euronews, hi-tech
- 19London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 20Elastic road surface reduces motorway noise pollution | euronews, futuris
Wires > News
- 06:13 CET Two Germans to be caned, jailed for train graffiti in Singapore
- 06:02 CET Hillary Clinton urges State Department to release emails
- 05:41 CET Modi to ramp up help for Indian Ocean nations to counter China…
- 05:38 CET Indonesia to announce execution date for foreign convicts “in a…
- 05:27 CET Knife-wielding attacker slashes face of U.S. ambassador in South…
- 03:46 CET Dominican Republic shutters consular offices in Haiti due to…
- 03:30 CET U.S. says North Korea nuclear and missile work ‘of great concern’
- 03:06 CET ‘It was him’ Boston bomber’s lawyers admit guilt, focus on brother