At least three people more people died in overnight violence in Egypt, bringing the official total to more than 50 in recent days.
Most have been killed in the Mediterranean city of Port Said. Amid the funerals for some of the victims, furious protests against President Mohammed Mursi have continued.
Many people defied an overnight curfew, imposed in cities along the Suez Canal.
There is anger at the media, and law and order has all but broken down. Snipers hiding in buildings target people in the streets.
“I lost my son, how can I get him back? He is sleeping now, he had nothing to do with any of this,” cried one bereaved mother.
“This is a warning we’re sending to the government. Let the whole of Egypt witness it. Next Friday we will all be in the streets. We will occupy the Suez Canal. We are not cowards,” said a man, shaking his fist in anger.
Tension boiled over in Port Said after 21 locals were sentenced to death over football violence last year.
Elsewhere too, protesters claim Mursi hijacked the revolution to impose his own autocratic Islamist rule.
Opposition parties have rejected his call for dialogue.
Euronews’ correspondent in Port Said, Mohammed Shaikhibrahim said: “The atmosphere in the three Suez Canal cities is like a maelstrom, but it is worst here. Many people see the conflict as not being about politics, but about revenge for the curfew and the death sentences imposed last weekend for the football violence.”
- 1Poland ‘has located’ buried Nazi treasure train
- 2Tropical Storm Erika threatens Haiti and Dominican Republic with mud slides
- 3Germany wants camps in Italy, Greece, Turkey to sort through migrants seeking asylum
- 4Exclusive: EU should create immigrant processing centre in Turkey, says German minister
- 5New York: toplessness in Times Square could change forever
- 1‘Dude, I tried to shoot him’: video shows moments after train attack in France
- 2Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 3New York: toplessness in Times Square could change forever
- 4US shootings: suspect dies of gunshot wounds
- 5UK: at least 7 dead, ‘more bodies may be found’ after Shoreham plane crash
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10Why World Elephant Day matters
- 11UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 17As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 18Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 19Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
- 20Migrant crisis pushing Greek island of Kos to the limit
Latest world news
Venezuela-Colombia tensions rise as Caracas shuts more of border
Budapest vigil for 71 found dead on Austrian motorway
Germany: welcoming and rejecting asylum seekers
Lebanon: government pledges to protect protesters at rubbish rally
Tropical Storm Erika threatens Haiti and Dominican Republic with mud slides
Wires > News
- 08:17 CET Protesters gather to pile more pressure on Malaysia’s PM
- 06:10 CET Pensioner killed in Venezuela supermarket melee, opposition says
- 02:05 CET Libyan drownings, lorry of corpses drive up migrant toll
- 23:59 CET Venezuela’s Maduro to visit China, Vietnam for finance deals
- 23:38 CET U.S. F-22 fighter jets arrive in Germany for training deployment
- 22:06 CET U.S.‘s Biden speaks with Ukrainian President Poroshenko about…
- 21:53 CET Policeman killed by blast in Bahrain village – interior ministry
- 21:20 CET Greek poll shows Syriza leftists leading conservatives