The people of the Netherlands are taking in the idea that their queen who has reigned for 33 years is to abdicate.
The announcement by Queen Beatrix, who will be 75 this Thursday, was broadcast on Monday.
She said it was time for responsibility to be entrusted with a new generation.
Unlike in Britain, Dutch monarchs have a tradition of stepping aside, but many people will take a while to get used to the change.
“I’ve come to know her as my queen. And I’ve always been quite proud of our royal family,” said one young woman.
“It’s a bit weird. She’s, you know, my queen. Things will be different, but I don’t know how,” said another.
A young man said: “I hope she gets to enjoy herself a bit. That she can pay more attention to her children, and of course to Friso.”
The queen’s middle son has been in a coma since a skiing accident in 2012.
Beatrix’s eldest son, Prince Willem-Alexander, will take over the largely ceremonial role of monarch on April 30 – Queen’s Day in the Netherlands.
At 45, he has overcome some image problems and has been groomed for decades to become king. In the words of his mother, he and Princess Maxima are entirely ready for their future tasks.
- 1Death toll after Nepal earthquake climbs to more than 1,900
- 2Russian pro-Putin bikers set off on controversial “Victory Ride” to Berlin
- 3Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 4Fire and brimstone show EU deal is close, Varoufakis tells euronews
- 5Indonesia: Seven drug convicts will be executed in days
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 2Unverified video appears to show ISIL killing of 30 Ethiopian Christians
- 3US Navy deploys two more warships near Yemen as conflict escalates
- 4Ethiopia: Clashes at rally to mourn Christians killed by ISIL in Libya
- 5Fire and brimstone show EU deal is close, Varoufakis tells euronews
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 6Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 7French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 8Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 9Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 12ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 13International news | euronews, latest international news
- 14eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 15Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 16Indonesia executes five foreigners despite protest | euronews, world news
- 17French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
- 20Energy-generating clothes and smart lights join the Internet of Things | euronews, hi-tech
Wires > News
- 06:58 CET Obama pokes fun at political friends and foes at White House dinner
- 06:40 CET U.S. official denies report of Islamic State plot in California
- 05:56 CET Nepalese dig with bare hands for quake survivors as toll rises to…
- 05:44 CET Exclusive – “Forced to captain migrant boat at gunpoint”
- 01:30 CET Russian hackers read Obama’s unclassified emails last year – NYT
- 00:33 CET Two Swedes abducted by Nusfra Front in Syria freed – TT news agency
- 23:31 CET Israeli forces kill two knife-wielding Palestinians – police
- 21:46 CET Migrant rescue mission must extend closer to Libya – Amnesty…