The people of the Netherlands are taking in the idea that their queen who has reigned for 33 years is to abdicate.
The announcement by Queen Beatrix, who will be 75 this Thursday, was broadcast on Monday.
She said it was time for responsibility to be entrusted with a new generation.
Unlike in Britain, Dutch monarchs have a tradition of stepping aside, but many people will take a while to get used to the change.
“I’ve come to know her as my queen. And I’ve always been quite proud of our royal family,” said one young woman.
“It’s a bit weird. She’s, you know, my queen. Things will be different, but I don’t know how,” said another.
A young man said: “I hope she gets to enjoy herself a bit. That she can pay more attention to her children, and of course to Friso.”
The queen’s middle son has been in a coma since a skiing accident in 2012.
Beatrix’s eldest son, Prince Willem-Alexander, will take over the largely ceremonial role of monarch on April 30 – Queen’s Day in the Netherlands.
At 45, he has overcome some image problems and has been groomed for decades to become king. In the words of his mother, he and Princess Maxima are entirely ready for their future tasks.
- 1Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 2French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 3Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 4Bobbi Kristina Brown, Whitney Houston’s daughter, dies
- 5Coach has its roof sheared off in low tunnel near Lille
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 8Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 9Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 19Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 20Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
Wires > News
- 05:39 CET China watchdog says graft risk controls tightened at central bank
- 04:35 CET Authorities study plane debris found off Madagascar for links to…
- 04:27 CET Zimbabwean charged over killing of Cecil the lion
- 04:26 CET India hangs man convicted of 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts
- 02:30 CET U.S. says Europeans could help more in South China Sea dispute
- 02:01 CET Israel approves new homes in settlement after demolishing two…
- 00:49 CET Afghanistan says Taliban leader dead, urges peace talks
- 00:14 CET Top U.S. general says Iran deal lowers near-term atomic arms risk