The people of the Netherlands are taking in the idea that their queen who has reigned for 33 years is to abdicate.
The announcement by Queen Beatrix, who will be 75 this Thursday, was broadcast on Monday.
She said it was time for responsibility to be entrusted with a new generation.
Unlike in Britain, Dutch monarchs have a tradition of stepping aside, but many people will take a while to get used to the change.
“I’ve come to know her as my queen. And I’ve always been quite proud of our royal family,” said one young woman.
“It’s a bit weird. She’s, you know, my queen. Things will be different, but I don’t know how,” said another.
A young man said: “I hope she gets to enjoy herself a bit. That she can pay more attention to her children, and of course to Friso.”
The queen’s middle son has been in a coma since a skiing accident in 2012.
Beatrix’s eldest son, Prince Willem-Alexander, will take over the largely ceremonial role of monarch on April 30 – Queen’s Day in the Netherlands.
At 45, he has overcome some image problems and has been groomed for decades to become king. In the words of his mother, he and Princess Maxima are entirely ready for their future tasks.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Claims Michael Schumacher is breathing independently played down by his management
- 2Ukraine as it happened: Crimean referendum widens US-Russia split
- 3Syria’s Assad expresses support for Putin on Ukraine
- 4Turkey’s Erdogan threatens Facebook & YouTube over ‘immorality and espionage’
- 5Russia: Pussy Riot suffer burns and head injuries after being attacked at McDonalds
- 1Oscars 2014: ’12 Years a Slave’ makes history with best picture Oscar
- 2Ukraine as it happened: Moscow start talks with Kyiv under US and EU threats of sanctions
- 3Read Jared Leto’s touching, thoughtful acceptance speech
- 4Ukraine: Violent clashes in Kharkiv leave dozens injured
- 5Ukraine as it happened: UN envoy chased in Crimea, Russia-US talks in Paris
Wires > News
- 01:08 CET Malaysia’s Anwar convicted of sodomy, political future in doubt
- 00:38 CET Ted Turner rushed to clinic in Argentina with appendicitis – media
- 22:32 CET Three killed in Cairo clashes, 48 wounded across Egypt
- 21:50 CET U.S. special forces sent to train Iraqi special forces in Jordan
- 21:34 CET Latin American foreign ministers to discuss Venezuela unrest
- 21:26 CET Turkey’s former army chief freed from prison
- 21:03 CET Netanyahu says Israel would give up ‘some settlements’ for peace
- 20:45 CET Iran, world powers hold ‘substantive and useful’ nuclear talks