Moving down the coast of New South Wales,
extreme weather conditions are still causing misery in eastern Australia.
Two thousand, five hundred people have been evacuated in the New South Wales city of Grafton and more than 1,000 people have been rescued by helicopter across neighbouring state Queensland, with the city of Bundaberg experiencing severe flooding.
“Well, this is the flood record for Grafton. It has never been in recorded history this high,” said Commissioner Murray Kear from the State Emergency Service.
“I think you’d have to go back to the 1890s to actually get a flood that’s around a 7.7 metre mark. So now nearly 8.1 is the largest flood that Grafton has ever seen,” he added.
The extreme weather system across eastern Australia is caused by the remnants of Tropical Cyclone Oswald which began in the Gulf of Carpentaria near northern Australia 11 days ago.
This time, flooding is not as bad as it was in 2010-2011, when 35 people lost their lives and 30,000 properties were destroyed or damaged.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
Wires > News
- 15:26 CET Two Malian soldiers killed in ambush – military
- 15:15 CET Kerry says United States, Egypt return to ‘stronger base’ in…
- 14:40 CET One pilot killed, another injured after helicopter crash at…
- 14:21 CET Italy coast guard rescues 1,800 sea migrants, five found dead
- 14:19 CET Germany’s Merkel has chance of absolute majority, poll shows
- 13:04 CET U.N. peacekeeper killed in clashes in Central African Republic -…
- 12:44 CET Gunmen in uniforms kill ally of Burundi’s President Nkurunziza
- 11:46 CET Malaysia says Indian Ocean aeroplane debris is part of a Boeing 777