Moving down the coast of New South Wales,
extreme weather conditions are still causing misery in eastern Australia.
Two thousand, five hundred people have been evacuated in the New South Wales city of Grafton and more than 1,000 people have been rescued by helicopter across neighbouring state Queensland, with the city of Bundaberg experiencing severe flooding.
“Well, this is the flood record for Grafton. It has never been in recorded history this high,” said Commissioner Murray Kear from the State Emergency Service.
“I think you’d have to go back to the 1890s to actually get a flood that’s around a 7.7 metre mark. So now nearly 8.1 is the largest flood that Grafton has ever seen,” he added.
The extreme weather system across eastern Australia is caused by the remnants of Tropical Cyclone Oswald which began in the Gulf of Carpentaria near northern Australia 11 days ago.
This time, flooding is not as bad as it was in 2010-2011, when 35 people lost their lives and 30,000 properties were destroyed or damaged.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 7India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 8Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 9[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 10European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 13Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 14Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 15Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 16Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 17US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 18Syria: Islamic extremists pledge to press ahead with battle for Kobani | euronews, world news
- 19Edgars Rinkevics: “I am gay. Good luck all of you.” | euronews, world news
- 20International news | euronews, latest international news
Wires > News
- 09:10 CET Iran says final nuclear deal with major powers ‘impossible’ by…
- 09:00 CET Bangladesh arrests woman leader of militant outfit
- 09:00 CET Voting gets underway in Tunisian presidential election
- 07:33 CET China arrests man for spying on aircraft carrier base – CCTV
- 03:16 CET German couple found murdered in Caribbean island of Tobago
- 00:46 CET Poland’s ruling party wins most seats in regional elections
- 23:47 CET Obama approves fresh guidelines for U.S. military in Afghanistan
- 23:43 CET Suspected Islamist fighters kill two children, abduct 10