Moving down the coast of New South Wales,
extreme weather conditions are still causing misery in eastern Australia.
Two thousand, five hundred people have been evacuated in the New South Wales city of Grafton and more than 1,000 people have been rescued by helicopter across neighbouring state Queensland, with the city of Bundaberg experiencing severe flooding.
“Well, this is the flood record for Grafton. It has never been in recorded history this high,” said Commissioner Murray Kear from the State Emergency Service.
“I think you’d have to go back to the 1890s to actually get a flood that’s around a 7.7 metre mark. So now nearly 8.1 is the largest flood that Grafton has ever seen,” he added.
The extreme weather system across eastern Australia is caused by the remnants of Tropical Cyclone Oswald which began in the Gulf of Carpentaria near northern Australia 11 days ago.
This time, flooding is not as bad as it was in 2010-2011, when 35 people lost their lives and 30,000 properties were destroyed or damaged.
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 5Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 6It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 9Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 10Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 11How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 12Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 13ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 14Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 15International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 18Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 19International news | euronews, latest international news
- 20Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 18:53 CET U.S. warships accompany British commercial vessels in Strait -…
- 18:06 CET Police raid home of gunman in Mohammad cartoon attack in Texas
- 17:57 CET Afghan talks agree on reopening Taliban political office
- 17:40 CET Insight – Baltic military shadow-boxing said to reach Cold War…
- 17:25 CET Pakistan minister stripped of parliament seat over 2013 rigging
- 17:20 CET Kenya charges four people over recruitment for al Shabaab
- 17:02 CET South Sudan’s future at grave risk, says Kerry
- 16:26 CET Ethiopian protests draw attention to racism in Israel