Tens of thousands have taken to the streets of Paris to support the French government’s plan to legalise gay marriage and adoption.
Organisers say 400,000 turned out, while police estimates put the number at 125,000.
Latest research suggests support for the legalisation of same-sex marriage has increased from 60 percent of French people to 63 percent.
The marchers were joined by Bernard Delanoe, the openly-gay Mayor of Paris, who said: “The majority of the French are in favour of this law and we have to fight against these rigid, conservative even sometimes aggressive attitudes.”
Footballer Lilian Thuram came to support the call for equality for all. “Historically, there have always been people against equality,” he said. “There have always been demonstrations, even when it was about giving women the vote, there were people against it.”
On Tuesday, the French parliament starts a two-week debate about the planned law change. Commentators are billing it as one of the biggest social reforms since the abolition of the death penalty in 1981.
- 1UK police investigated over alleged child sex abuse cover-up involving former Prime Minister
- 2Ukrainians protest against a planned “buffer zone”
- 3Obama unveils US plan to cut carbon emissions
- 4Italy arrests mafia suspects after cracking ‘sheep code’
- 5UK landlords face crackdown over illegal migrant tenants
- 1Failed breach attempt by migrants in Calais
- 2Scuffles at British side of Channel Tunnel in Kent over Calais migrants
- 3Funeral of Whitney Houston’s daughter overshadowed by family feud
- 4Suspected MH370 flaperon arrives for identification at BEA, Toulouse
- 5Turkey: two soldiers killed in suicide attack blamed on PKK
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20The Pluto flyby : what we’ve learnt so far
Wires > News
- 23:49 CET Russia says U.S. strikes on Syrian army would harm fight against…
- 23:35 CET Sudan says Bashir plans to speak at U.N. summit in New York
- 23:09 CET Ethiopia hands lengthy prison terms to Muslim activists
- 23:05 CET In North Korean grassroots capitalism, ticks and grasshoppers skip
- 22:54 CET Libya investigates video of guards beating jailed Gaddafi son
- 21:50 CET Catalonia leader calls election framed as vote on independence
- 21:49 CET Burundian activist shot amid violence tied to contested…
- 21:35 CET Obama issues challenge on climate change with power plant rule