Tens of thousands have taken to the streets of Paris to support the French government’s plan to legalise gay marriage and adoption.
Organisers say 400,000 turned out, while police estimates put the number at 125,000.
Latest research suggests support for the legalisation of same-sex marriage has increased from 60 percent of French people to 63 percent.
The marchers were joined by Bernard Delanoe, the openly-gay Mayor of Paris, who said: “The majority of the French are in favour of this law and we have to fight against these rigid, conservative even sometimes aggressive attitudes.”
Footballer Lilian Thuram came to support the call for equality for all. “Historically, there have always been people against equality,” he said. “There have always been demonstrations, even when it was about giving women the vote, there were people against it.”
On Tuesday, the French parliament starts a two-week debate about the planned law change. Commentators are billing it as one of the biggest social reforms since the abolition of the death penalty in 1981.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Claims Michael Schumacher is breathing independently played down by his management
- 2Ukraine as it happened: Crimean referendum widens US-Russia split
- 3Turkey’s Erdogan threatens Facebook & YouTube over ‘immorality and espionage’
- 4Syria’s Assad expresses support for Putin on Ukraine
- 5Russia: Pussy Riot suffer burns and head injuries after being attacked at McDonalds
- 1Oscars 2014: ’12 Years a Slave’ makes history with best picture Oscar
- 2Ukraine as it happened: Moscow start talks with Kyiv under US and EU threats of sanctions
- 3Read Jared Leto’s touching, thoughtful acceptance speech
- 4Ukraine: Violent clashes in Kharkiv leave dozens injured
- 5Ukraine as it happened: UN envoy chased in Crimea, Russia-US talks in Paris
Wires > News
- 04:34 CET Malaysia Airlines loses contact with plane carrying 239 people
- 04:23 CET China says will not permit chaos or war on Korean peninsula
- 01:08 CET Malaysia’s Anwar convicted of sodomy, political future in doubt
- 00:38 CET Ted Turner rushed to clinic in Argentina with appendicitis – media
- 22:32 CET Three killed in Cairo clashes, 48 wounded across Egypt
- 21:50 CET U.S. special forces sent to train Iraqi special forces in Jordan
- 21:34 CET Latin American foreign ministers to discuss Venezuela unrest
- 21:26 CET Turkey’s former army chief freed from prison