Tens of thousands have taken to the streets of Paris to support the French government’s plan to legalise gay marriage and adoption.
Organisers say 400,000 turned out, while police estimates put the number at 125,000.
Latest research suggests support for the legalisation of same-sex marriage has increased from 60 percent of French people to 63 percent.
The marchers were joined by Bernard Delanoe, the openly-gay Mayor of Paris, who said: “The majority of the French are in favour of this law and we have to fight against these rigid, conservative even sometimes aggressive attitudes.”
Footballer Lilian Thuram came to support the call for equality for all. “Historically, there have always been people against equality,” he said. “There have always been demonstrations, even when it was about giving women the vote, there were people against it.”
On Tuesday, the French parliament starts a two-week debate about the planned law change. Commentators are billing it as one of the biggest social reforms since the abolition of the death penalty in 1981.
- 1Five children among a dozen migrants to drown off Turkish coast
- 2New coin issued to mark Queen’s record reign
- 3Thousands stuck in Budapest as Hungary refuses to allow migrants to travel
- 4Schengen recoil could turn EU travel back 20 years
- 5Eurostar suffers severe delays as migrants attempt to block Channel Tunnel
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 6Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10Why World Elephant Day matters
- 11UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16International news | euronews, latest international news
- 17Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 18As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Wires > News
- 14:38 CET Confrontation as Hungary police force migrants off train
- 14:36 CET Two bombs rock Cameroon town previously attacked by Boko Haram
- 13:58 CET Congo militia chief tried to protect civilians, war crimes court…
- 13:26 CET Sri Lankan Tamil named opposition leader for first time since 1983
- 13:16 CET China, Vietnam agree to ‘properly handle’ disputes
- 13:13 CET Iran’s Khamenei backs parliamentary vote on nuclear deal with…
- 12:49 CET At least 14 killed as boat overloaded with migrants capsizes off…
- 12:36 CET Bangladesh charges 13 over 2012 garment factory fire