Tens of thousands have taken to the streets of Paris to support the French government’s plan to legalise gay marriage and adoption.
Organisers say 400,000 turned out, while police estimates put the number at 125,000.
Latest research suggests support for the legalisation of same-sex marriage has increased from 60 percent of French people to 63 percent.
The marchers were joined by Bernard Delanoe, the openly-gay Mayor of Paris, who said: “The majority of the French are in favour of this law and we have to fight against these rigid, conservative even sometimes aggressive attitudes.”
Footballer Lilian Thuram came to support the call for equality for all. “Historically, there have always been people against equality,” he said. “There have always been demonstrations, even when it was about giving women the vote, there were people against it.”
On Tuesday, the French parliament starts a two-week debate about the planned law change. Commentators are billing it as one of the biggest social reforms since the abolition of the death penalty in 1981.
- 1Iceland’s new President Gudni Johannesson off to France for the footy
- 2Massive petition calls for EU referendum re-run
- 3Millions sign referendum re-run petition
- 4What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 5David Cameron’s “unacceptable behaviour” to blame over referendum defeat, Oettinger tells euronews
- 1What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 2Will English remain as the de facto EU official language?
- 3David Cameron’s “unacceptable behaviour” to blame over referendum defeat, Oettinger tells euronews
- 4Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty explained
- 5EU friendly London shocked after Britain vote to leave
Wires > News
- 22:38 CET Pope says Church should ask forgiveness from gays for past…
- 22:29 CET Rio mayor delivers last major Olympic Park installation
- 22:27 CET Pride parades tinged with sadness after Orlando massacre
- 22:17 CET Panama opens canal extension amid growth risks, cost battle
- 22:16 CET British EU vote causes alarm abroad as ripples spread
- 22:15 CET Israel and Turkey agree to normalise ties -senior Israeli official
- 22:11 CET Multiple stabbing victims during rally in Sacramento, California
- 21:27 CET Iraqi commander declares defeat of Islamic State in Falluja