Spanish doctor Eufemiano Fuentas’s trial has started in Madrid in a doping case set to rock cycling. It has reached court nearly seven years after police raided offices of the doctor and seized around 200 bags of blood linked to a number of top cyclists.
He is charged with breaking public health laws as Spain had no anti-doping law at the time of his arrest.
Operation Puerto as it was known uncovered what one cyclist called a “treasure trove” of evidence. The blood or frozen plasma was allegedly used in a sophisticated doping programme to boost the cyclists’ red blood cell count and so enhance their performance.
Five other defendants are on trial including the sister of Dr. Fuentas.
Former Tour de France winner Alberto Contador is one of more than 50 cyclists who was implicated in the case. He is expected to give evidence.
It has been claimed the bags of blood also related to athletes from other sports.
The trial is expected to last until mid-March
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Latest world news
Aleppo – hopes a truce is only “hours away”
TTIP: French president Hollande says France will say no to EU-US trade deal “at this stage”
Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Spain arrests four men allegedly behind on-line Islamist Radicalisation plot
Probe indicates falsified documents in Flamanville nuclear plant construction
Wires > News
- 17:47 CET Tajik Islamists’ lawyer goes on trial on fraud, extremism charges
- 17:41 CET As U.S. rotates generals in Europe, job is prevent new ‘Cold War’
- 17:33 CET Niger tells Europe it needs 1 billion euros to fight illegal…
- 17:32 CET West Africa pirates switch to kidnapping crew as oil fetches less
- 17:29 CET Islamic State kills U.S. serviceman in northern Iraq
- 17:23 CET Rebels launch assault in Syria’s Aleppo, diplomats strain to…
- 16:52 CET Turkish Nobel laureate says Erdogan’s insult charges aimed at…
- 16:40 CET Canada’s government has trouble detecting citizenship fraud -…