28/01/13 07:49 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Relatives and parents of what are known as Spain’s “stolen babies” gathered in Madrid to press once more for their cases to be reopened.
Campaigners believe hundreds of thousands of newborns were taken from parents with leftwing political views by the Franco regime.
Participants in the demonstration expressed their anger. One said: “They have stolen our babies; they have snatched our children from us on the first day or even since their first hours of their live.
A mother told the heart-rending story of what happened to her: “After the birth they told me that my baby had died because his lungs were flooded. But I know it was a lie because I could see him, he was blond and he was alive, he was healthy.”
One thousand five hundred cases have been filed but many have lapsed due to the passage of time or been dropped for lack of evidence.
- 1What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 2Will English remain as the de facto EU official language?
- 3David Cameron’s “unacceptable behaviour” to blame over referendum defeat, Oettinger tells euronews
- 4Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty explained
- 5EU friendly London shocked after Britain vote to leave
Latest world news
Deadly bomb attack on hotel in Somalia’s capital
North Korea marks anniversary of start of Korean war
More than 20 dead in West Virginia in US state’s ‘worst floods in a century’
Russian governor Nikita Belykh held over ‘large bribe’ in corruption probe
Massive petition calls for EU referendum re-run
Wires > News
- 19:32 CET U.S. Coast Guard suspends search for Florida family lost at sea
- 19:13 CET Germany’s Merkel signals sober separation from EU ‘partner’ Britain
- 19:07 CET Brazil’s Temer says women should retire earlier than men – paper
- 17:33 CET Brexit crisis tops off rough stretch in Obama’s push for legacy
- 17:25 CET Eight Indian police officials dead, 20 injured in Kashmir militant…
- 17:24 CET Somali Islamist militants attack hotel in Mogadishu
- 17:07 CET Irish unity vote for later, not now – foreign minister
- 16:58 CET Syrian or Russian air strikes kill dozens in eastern Syria -…