Relatives and parents of what are known as Spain’s “stolen babies” gathered in Madrid to press once more for their cases to be reopened.
Campaigners believe hundreds of thousands of newborns were taken from parents with leftwing political views by the Franco regime.
Participants in the demonstration expressed their anger. One said: “They have stolen our babies; they have snatched our children from us on the first day or even since their first hours of their live.
A mother told the heart-rending story of what happened to her: “After the birth they told me that my baby had died because his lungs were flooded. But I know it was a lie because I could see him, he was blond and he was alive, he was healthy.”
One thousand five hundred cases have been filed but many have lapsed due to the passage of time or been dropped for lack of evidence.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 7Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 8[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 9Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 10Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 11‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 12Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 13NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 14Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 15Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 16Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 17Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 18Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 19Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 20Hungary: billboard war sparks international concern
Wires > News
- 06:00 CET Two Myanmar men go on trial for murder of British tourists
- 04:27 CET Alaska plane crashed amid ‘marginal’ visual conditions, killing…
- 04:22 CET Obama, Vietnam leader discuss South China Sea in landmark meeting
- 04:09 CET Ghana’s ruling party reclaims parliamentary seat in by-election
- 02:35 CET In Myanmar, ethnic loyalties could crimp Suu Kyi’s party
- 01:14 CET Ex-dictator found mentally unfit for new Guatemala genocide trial
- 00:43 CET Serbia government agrees to send PM to July 11 Srebrenica…
- 21:26 CET Two suicide bombers kill around 30 in northern Nigeria