28/01/13 07:49 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Relatives and parents of what are known as Spain’s “stolen babies” gathered in Madrid to press once more for their cases to be reopened.
Campaigners believe hundreds of thousands of newborns were taken from parents with leftwing political views by the Franco regime.
Participants in the demonstration expressed their anger. One said: “They have stolen our babies; they have snatched our children from us on the first day or even since their first hours of their live.
A mother told the heart-rending story of what happened to her: “After the birth they told me that my baby had died because his lungs were flooded. But I know it was a lie because I could see him, he was blond and he was alive, he was healthy.”
One thousand five hundred cases have been filed but many have lapsed due to the passage of time or been dropped for lack of evidence.
- 1Germany: #Cutesolidarity response to Kinder chocolate controversy
- 2Hero’s welcome for Ukraine pilot Nadiya Savchenko after Russia prisoner swap
- 3In the EU ‘one in three deaths of under-75s is avoidable,’ says Eurostat
- 4Germany’s carrot and stick approach to refugee integration
- 5G7 leaders visit Japanese holy shrine ahead of summit
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2Turkey warns EU migrant deal could collapse if visa-waiver isn’t speeded up
- 3Eurozone ministers agree “breakthrough” deal with Greece
- 4More fuel frustration as French pickets refuse to back down
- 5Ukrainian pilot Savchenko back in Kyiv after 2 years in Russian jail
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 3Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
Wires > News
- 16:22 CET Sanders may debate Trump, not Clinton, before California contest
- 16:20 CET Iran’s Khamenei calls for vigilance against West’s ‘soft war’ -…
- 15:45 CET French union leads anti-reform protests, warns of Euro soccer cup…
- 15:27 CET Italy says migrant boat capsized, second in two days
- 15:13 CET Poland’s rule of law dispute keeps some investors away – deputy PM
- 15:10 CET Military push, economic hardship fuel insurgency in Nigeria’s Delta
- 15:05 CET Migrants stranded in Greece take to fields to avoid state-run camps
- 14:25 CET No masking Trump’s popularity at Chinese Partytime Factory