Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands has announced her abdication in favour of her son Prince Willem-Alexander.
The oldest reigning monarch in Dutch history, Beatrix will turn 75 in a few days time.
She was crowned in 1980 and is the sixth monarch of the House of Orange.
Dutch opinion polls showed that, while Beatrix remained popular, the majority believed she should step aside for Prince Willem-Alexander, aged 45.
Although there is no requirement for a Dutch monarch to abdicate at a certain age, it has been a tradition in the House of Orange.
Beatrix became queen when her mother Queen Juliana chose to step down in her favour.
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 2Unverified video appears to show ISIL killing of 30 Ethiopian Christians
- 3US Navy deploys two more warships near Yemen as conflict escalates
- 4Fire and brimstone show EU deal is close, Varoufakis tells euronews
- 5Ethiopia: Clashes at rally to mourn Christians killed by ISIL in Libya
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 6Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 7Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 8Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 9Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 10ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 13Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 14Indonesia executes five foreigners despite protest | euronews, world news
- 15International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 16Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
- 17Energy-generating clothes and smart lights join the Internet of Things | euronews, hi-tech
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Russia bans film adaptation of ‘Child 44’ | euronews, world news
- 20World news video | euronews the latest world news online | breaking world news video
Wires > News
- 20:18 CET U.S., Japan unveil new defence guidelines for global Japanese role
- 20:16 CET Nepal scrambles to organise quake relief, many flee capital
- 20:13 CET Islamic State kills five journalists working for Libyan TV station…
- 20:01 CET Mexico’s ruling PRI leads field ahead of mid-term vote – poll
- 19:50 CET Japan’s Prime Minister Abe says ‘heart aches’ over WW II sex slaves
- 18:20 CET Sudan accuses U.N. peacekeepers of killing seven civilians in…
- 18:11 CET U.N. chief deplores Israeli actions in 2014 Gaza conflict
- 17:33 CET Spanish prosecutor recommends five years in jail for former …