Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands has announced her abdication in favour of her son Prince Willem-Alexander.
The oldest reigning monarch in Dutch history, Beatrix will turn 75 in a few days time.
She was crowned in 1980 and is the sixth monarch of the House of Orange.
Dutch opinion polls showed that, while Beatrix remained popular, the majority believed she should step aside for Prince Willem-Alexander, aged 45.
Although there is no requirement for a Dutch monarch to abdicate at a certain age, it has been a tradition in the House of Orange.
Beatrix became queen when her mother Queen Juliana chose to step down in her favour.
- 1Five children among a dozen migrants to drown off Turkish coast
- 2New coin issued to mark Queen’s record reign
- 3Thousands stuck in Budapest as Hungary refuses to allow migrants to travel
- 4Schengen recoil could turn EU travel back 20 years
- 5Eurostar suffers severe delays as migrants attempt to block Channel Tunnel
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 6Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10Why World Elephant Day matters
- 11UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16International news | euronews, latest international news
- 17Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 18As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Wires > News
- 17:00 CET Guatemala’s president quits, faces charges in graft scandal
- 16:55 CET Transsexuals cannot be godparents, Vatican tells priest
- 16:22 CET Congo militia chief Ntaganda says protected civilians
- 15:42 CET New approach to old alliance for Saudi King and Obama
- 15:35 CET Greek leftists put on brave face as poll shows conservatives…
- 15:32 CET Around 10 dead, 100 wounded in twin blasts in northern Cameroon
- 15:30 CET Exclusive – Migrant crisis spurs European interest in Israeli…
- 15:12 CET Iran’s Khamenei backs parliamentary vote on nuclear deal with…