Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands has announced her abdication in favour of her son Prince Willem-Alexander.
The oldest reigning monarch in Dutch history, Beatrix will turn 75 in a few days time.
She was crowned in 1980 and is the sixth monarch of the House of Orange.
Dutch opinion polls showed that, while Beatrix remained popular, the majority believed she should step aside for Prince Willem-Alexander, aged 45.
Although there is no requirement for a Dutch monarch to abdicate at a certain age, it has been a tradition in the House of Orange.
Beatrix became queen when her mother Queen Juliana chose to step down in her favour.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Heavy fighting in Donetsk; possible mass grave discovered
- 2Catalan independence put on hold: constitutional court suspends vote
- 3Migrant deaths in Mediterranean reach a record 3,072 in 2014
- 4Red alert in southern France as heavy rains sweep Languedoc region
- 5Spain: Constitutional court votes to suspend Catalonia independence referendum
- 1Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel
- 2Update: Emma Watson nude photos threat may be elaborate PR stunt
- 3Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’
- 4Teenage ‘terror suspect’ shot dead by police in Australia after attacking officers
- 5Watch: Leonardo DiCaprio speech among five must-see clips on UN climate summit
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin | euronews, world news
- 3Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 4New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 5Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 6Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 73D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 8Rise of the machines | euronews, futuris
- 9Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 10Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 11Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 12Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 13Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 14#Indyref Live: Scotland votes on independence from UK | euronews, world news
- 15Thousands ‘evade’ Ebola lockdown in Sierra Leone | euronews, world news
- 16British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 17Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
- 18The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
- 19Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 20Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 12:07 CET Indebted to America, Kosovo struggles to curb Islamist recruits
- 11:59 CET Russia sees chance of six-party talks on North Korea resuming
- 11:47 CET Shells hit school playground and nearby street in Ukraine city…
- 11:42 CET Coalition jets strike Islamic State near Turkish border – Kurdish…
- 11:00 CET Gunmen wound Saudi policeman in Shi’ite Muslim stronghold – agency
- 09:42 CET France defies EU partners with ‘no austerity’ budget
- 09:16 CET Syria-linked militants release Lebanese soldier – sources, media
- 09:05 CET Thai junta approves $3 billion stimulus to spur growth – PM