28/01/13 19:35 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands has announced her abdication in favour of her son Prince Willem-Alexander.
The oldest reigning monarch in Dutch history, Beatrix will turn 75 in a few days time.
She was crowned in 1980 and is the sixth monarch of the House of Orange.
Dutch opinion polls showed that, while Beatrix remained popular, the majority believed she should step aside for Prince Willem-Alexander, aged 45.
Although there is no requirement for a Dutch monarch to abdicate at a certain age, it has been a tradition in the House of Orange.
Beatrix became queen when her mother Queen Juliana chose to step down in her favour.
- 1Hungary’s PM Orban slams plans for migrant quota fines
- 2Labour’s Sadiq Khan elected new Mayor of London, defeats Conservative Zac Goldsmith
- 3Turkish journalists sentenced for revealing state secrets
- 4Turkey won’t change anti-terror laws for EU visa-free travel – Erdogan
- 5Turkey: journalist speaks out against those ‘targeting’ him after Istanbul shooting
Latest world news
Brazil: Senate committee approves report recommending Rousseff’s impeachment
Turkish journalists sentenced for revealing state secrets
Hungary’s PM Orban slams plans for migrant quota fines
Labour’s Sadiq Khan elected new Mayor of London, defeats Conservative Zac Goldsmith
Turkey: journalist speaks out against those ‘targeting’ him after Istanbul shooting
Wires > News
- 01:05 CET Images show North Korea may be preparing 5th nuclear test – think…
- 01:04 CET EU’s Juncker sees refugee crisis at ‘turning point’
- 22:14 CET Turkish journalists jailed for five years, hours after courthouse…
- 20:38 CET Panama Papers source breaks silence, denies being a spy -…
- 20:27 CET China takes first step in $1 billion pledge to U.N. to fund peace…
- 20:25 CET Egypt gives Italy phone records of union chief – source
- 19:58 CET Russia says U.S.-Georgian military exercises could destabilise…
- 19:56 CET U.S. says it is committed to keeping Aleppo truce in place beyond…