Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands has announced her abdication in favour of her son Prince Willem-Alexander.
The oldest reigning monarch in Dutch history, Beatrix will turn 75 in a few days time.
She was crowned in 1980 and is the sixth monarch of the House of Orange.
Dutch opinion polls showed that, while Beatrix remained popular, the majority believed she should step aside for Prince Willem-Alexander, aged 45.
Although there is no requirement for a Dutch monarch to abdicate at a certain age, it has been a tradition in the House of Orange.
Beatrix became queen when her mother Queen Juliana chose to step down in her favour.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania
- 2Russia’s behaviour in Ukraine a ‘flagrant violation’, says Biden
- 3Spain: Singer Isabel Pantoja jailed for two years
- 4Turkey promises support for Kurdish Peshmurga in anti-ISIL front
- 5Moscow: Luxury car collection destroyed in suspected arson attack
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 7India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 8Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 9[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 10European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 13Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 14Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 15Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 16US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 17Edgars Rinkevics: “I am gay. Good luck all of you.” | euronews, world news
- 18Philippe Starck: ‘Words like longevity and legacy have become almost avant-garde’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 19Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 20Syria: Islamic extremists pledge to press ahead with battle for Kobani | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 11:03 CET U.S. says welcomes oil deal between Iraqi Kurdistan and Baghdad
- 10:30 CET Portuguese police arrest ex-PM Socrates in corruption investigation
- 09:59 CET Bahrain holds elections as Shi’ite opposition boycotts vote
- 06:48 CET Obama signs order expanding U.S. Afghanistan role – New York Times
- 03:22 CET Biden voices support for Ukraine, denounces Russia’s Putin
- 00:27 CET Cuban migrants head off from Caymans, bound for Honduras
- 00:22 CET Lawyer for bin Laden son-in-law gets 1-1/2 years prison in tax case
- 00:18 CET U.N. calls for credible Myanmar election, minority protection