People living in Gao in northern Mali are celebrating after Islamist militants have been driven out of the town.
The rebels continue to be pushed out of key areas following a two-week offensive by French troops and soldiers from African countries who have formed an intervention force known as AFISMA.
The foreign troops are helping Mali’s government fight an armed rebellion which had swept the country.
French and Malian soldiers are already in Timbuktu, named as an endangered world heritage site by UNESCO, trying to push out the al-Qaeda linked militants.
Mali descended into chaos last March when soldiers toppled the president, leaving a power vacuum that enabled Tuareg rebels to seize two-thirds of the country. France sent troops to Mali after a call for military help on January 11 as the rebels advanced towards the capital, Bamako.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1West Africa: Doctors fight to contain Ebola outbreak
- 2Venezuela: tear gas, rubber bullets fired at protesters
- 3Kyiv ultimatum to pro-Russian militia to disarm expires
- 4Australia avoids worst of Cyclone Ita but stormy weather still expected
- 5Ukraine as it happened: Kyiv calls for UN peacekeepers as pro-Russians approach Putin
- 1Missing flight MH370: ‘most promising lead’ yet as search crews detect two signal pings
- 2Official ‘executed by flame-thrower’ over links to Kim Jong-un’s purged uncle
- 3Watch April 15 total lunar eclipse live online
- 4West Africa: Doctors fight to contain Ebola outbreak
- 5Venezuela: tear gas, rubber bullets fired at protesters
Wires > News
- 05:59 CET Scores rescued from sinking South Korean ferry, two dead -…
- 05:42 CET China stresses need for stability at first meeting of new security…
- 05:21 CET Australian state premier resigns over A$3,000 bottle of wine gift
- 04:05 CET Recovery effort underway after two die in Australia coal mine
- 02:09 CET Iran’s Zarif not worried about pushback from hardliners on nuclear…
- 01:35 CET Thousands flee gun battle as Chad withdraw from Central African…
- 01:06 CET U.S., China in ‘productive’ talks after North Korea test threat
- 23:40 CET Bombs wound three policemen in Cairo