People living in Gao in northern Mali are celebrating after Islamist militants have been driven out of the town.
The rebels continue to be pushed out of key areas following a two-week offensive by French troops and soldiers from African countries who have formed an intervention force known as AFISMA.
The foreign troops are helping Mali’s government fight an armed rebellion which had swept the country.
French and Malian soldiers are already in Timbuktu, named as an endangered world heritage site by UNESCO, trying to push out the al-Qaeda linked militants.
Mali descended into chaos last March when soldiers toppled the president, leaving a power vacuum that enabled Tuareg rebels to seize two-thirds of the country. France sent troops to Mali after a call for military help on January 11 as the rebels advanced towards the capital, Bamako.
- 1‘Human error responsible’ for deadly Bad Aibling train crash – sources
- 2Two commuter trains collide head-on in Germany
- 3Leopard enters Indian school, mauls six people
- 4Refugees in Hungary offered classes to speed integration
- 5New migrant tragedy claims 27 lives as Greece grapples with refugee crisis
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 4Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 5Partnering to grow Europe
- 6Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 7Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 8Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 9Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 10Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 11Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 12Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 13Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 14Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 15Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 16latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 18Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 19Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 20International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
Wires > News
- 11:30 CET In Kenya’s Rift Valley, blood and bulls mark gateway to manhood
- 11:21 CET Scant hope of Syria peace breakthrough as Russia pounds rebels
- 11:10 CET EU executive to recommend suspending third of migrant relocation…
- 10:57 CET Fighting kills at least 500 in Aleppo province since Syrian army…
- 10:52 CET North Korea executes army chief of staff – South Korean media
- 10:49 CET Bulgaria nominates head of UNESCO for top U.N. post
- 10:45 CET More than 100 arrested in Sicilian anti-Mafia operation
- 10:39 CET Greek prime minister says ready to talk to farmers over pensions