People living in Gao in northern Mali are celebrating after Islamist militants have been driven out of the town.
The rebels continue to be pushed out of key areas following a two-week offensive by French troops and soldiers from African countries who have formed an intervention force known as AFISMA.
The foreign troops are helping Mali’s government fight an armed rebellion which had swept the country.
French and Malian soldiers are already in Timbuktu, named as an endangered world heritage site by UNESCO, trying to push out the al-Qaeda linked militants.
Mali descended into chaos last March when soldiers toppled the president, leaving a power vacuum that enabled Tuareg rebels to seize two-thirds of the country. France sent troops to Mali after a call for military help on January 11 as the rebels advanced towards the capital, Bamako.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Divers grapple with inhuman conditions as Sewol ferry salvage continues
- 2MH370: bad weather halts search as ‘unidentified material’ found on Australian coast
- 3War of words grows more heated as Russia accuses the US of ‘running the show’ in Ukraine
- 4Exhumations at suspected Serbia mass grave begin
- 5Transnistria territorially tempting to Russia
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Divers grapple with inhuman conditions as Sewol ferry salvage continues
- 5Dragon docks at International Space Station
Wires > News
- 11:45 CET Libya faces enormous security challenge – U.S. diplomat
- 11:16 CET Obama reaffirms commitment to Japan on tour of Asia allies
- 10:56 CET U.N. Security Council members considering South Sudan sanctions
- 09:26 CET Three foreigners killed in attack in Afghan hospital – security…
- 09:25 CET Wage talks resume as South Africa platinum strike marks 13th week
- 08:36 CET Historic canonisation of two popes brings joy and controversy
- 07:48 CET Exclusive – Marubeni says Chinese authorities detain three staff…
- 07:03 CET Pakistan fighter jets target militant hideouts near Afghan border