Irish Agricultural Minister Simon Coveney has urged the EU to move ahead on EU farming reform.
Coveney, whose brief also includes fisheries policy, said Ireland would use its presidency of the Union to get an agreement by the end of June.
He described the issues as “really big dossiers that affect most of the population of the European Union,” adding that the EU’s Common Agricultural policy makes up nearly 40% of the bloc’s budget.
Ireland gets 1.7 billion euros a year as part of the CAP. Dublin is opposed to cuts called for by the UK, the Netherlands and Denmark.
Those countries argue the CAP should be reformed for the 21st Century.
Miguel Arias Canete, Spain’s Minister for Agriculture said “negotiations were going well at the European Council, as well as with MEPs.”
He said he expected to strike a deal within the next six months under the Irish EU presidency.
Spain and France are also opposed to slashing farming spending.
The European Commission’s proposal tabled ahead of the previous budget talks last November put that figure at 44 billion euros over the next seven years.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 3Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 4eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 5Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 6International news | euronews, latest international news
- 7English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 8Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 9Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 10Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 11Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 12euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 13European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 14Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 15London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 16‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold? | euronews, world news
- 17[Watch] Passengers emergency evacuate crash-landed Airbus A330 | euronews, world news
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 20Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world