Irish Agricultural Minister Simon Coveney has urged the EU to move ahead on EU farming reform.
Coveney, whose brief also includes fisheries policy, said Ireland would use its presidency of the Union to get an agreement by the end of June.
He described the issues as “really big dossiers that affect most of the population of the European Union,” adding that the EU’s Common Agricultural policy makes up nearly 40% of the bloc’s budget.
Ireland gets 1.7 billion euros a year as part of the CAP. Dublin is opposed to cuts called for by the UK, the Netherlands and Denmark.
Those countries argue the CAP should be reformed for the 21st Century.
Miguel Arias Canete, Spain’s Minister for Agriculture said “negotiations were going well at the European Council, as well as with MEPs.”
He said he expected to strike a deal within the next six months under the Irish EU presidency.
Spain and France are also opposed to slashing farming spending.
The European Commission’s proposal tabled ahead of the previous budget talks last November put that figure at 44 billion euros over the next seven years.
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 6Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 7Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 8Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 9Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 10ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 13Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 14Indonesia executes five foreigners despite protest | euronews, world news
- 15International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 16Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
- 17Energy-generating clothes and smart lights join the Internet of Things | euronews, hi-tech
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Russia bans film adaptation of ‘Child 44’ | euronews, world news
- 20World news video | euronews the latest world news online | breaking world news video