Irish Agricultural Minister Simon Coveney has urged the EU to move ahead on EU farming reform.
Coveney, whose brief also includes fisheries policy, said Ireland would use its presidency of the Union to get an agreement by the end of June.
He described the issues as “really big dossiers that affect most of the population of the European Union,” adding that the EU’s Common Agricultural policy makes up nearly 40% of the bloc’s budget.
Ireland gets 1.7 billion euros a year as part of the CAP. Dublin is opposed to cuts called for by the UK, the Netherlands and Denmark.
Those countries argue the CAP should be reformed for the 21st Century.
Miguel Arias Canete, Spain’s Minister for Agriculture said “negotiations were going well at the European Council, as well as with MEPs.”
He said he expected to strike a deal within the next six months under the Irish EU presidency.
Spain and France are also opposed to slashing farming spending.
The European Commission’s proposal tabled ahead of the previous budget talks last November put that figure at 44 billion euros over the next seven years.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 7India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 8[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 9Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 10European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 13Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 14Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 15Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 18euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 19Syria: Islamic extremists pledge to press ahead with battle for Kobani | euronews, world news
- 20Anti-immigration protests in Rome | euronews, world news