Iceland has won a legal battle over its reponsibilities to British and Dutch savers who lost money when an online savings bank collapsed.
The European Free Trade Association court said Iceland did not have to guarantee minimum levels of compensation when Icesave went bust.
Jóhanna Sigurdardóttir, the country’s prime minister said: “It is quite clear that this judgement will add force to the economic rebuilding in Iceland. Possibly the ratings agencies will revise their results. This will also have a positive influence on the lifting of capital controls.”
The EFTA surveillance authority argued Iceland had a duty under EU law to guarantee a minimum compensation within a time limit to foreign savers.
The ruling may scupper attempts by the British and Dutch governments to claw back money from the Icelandic government.
Both countries ended up stumping up the cash to compensate their citizens.
The ruling by judges in Luxembourg cannot be appealed.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 6Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 7Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 8Partnering to grow Europe
- 9Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 10Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 12‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 13Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 14Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 15Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 16Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 18Caught by the Maasai at mid-on ‘Warriors’ play cricket
- 19latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20account : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand