In southern Brazil, the process of burying the dead from the Santa Maria nightclub fire disaster has begun.
More than 230 young revellers perished at the party. At least 20 witness have told investigators that the blaze was triggered when the band on stage set off pyrotechnics.
Earlier at a community gymnasium, relatives and friends of the dead came to identify the bodies.
The smoke and fumes had proved more of a killer than the flames.
Witness said that bouncers blocked the exits at first, because they thought the youngsters were trying to dodge paying their bar bills.
Professor Neri Paniss from the Federal University of Santa Maria said: “Many of them were students from my university. They’re not only going to be missed now at this moment of loss, but each day forward.”
A fourth man is being questioned by police. Now the club’s two owners and two members of the band are in custody. There are no charges yet. Prosecutors say investigators have five days.
Reports in local media said the Kiss club’s fire certificate expired last year.
More than 80 people are in hospital, 30 of them in a serious condition.
The eyes of the world are on Brazil’s safety credentials, with the World Cup football and the Olympics coming up.
Already, some of the relatives are asking how authorities allowed such an event to go ahead.
The nation is in three days of mourning.
Latest world news
Turkey: journalist heading to state secrets trial shot at moments before verdict
Second successful sea landing for SpaceX
Turkey won’t change anti-terror laws for EU visa-free travel – Erdogan
Cologne attacks: Algerian man acquitted of attempted sexual assault
Greece grinds to near halt in 48-hour general strike
Wires > News
- 18:35 CET Convoy of stranded residents speed through fire-ravaged Canadian…
- 18:32 CET Assailant tries to shoot prominent Turkish journalist outside court
- 18:30 CET Brazil senate committee votes for Rousseff impeachment trial
- 18:22 CET Pakistan’s tribal councils in spotlight after brutal ‘honour…
- 18:13 CET Russian firm milks chilly U.S.-Kremlin ties with ‘Little Obama‘…
- 18:01 CET Moroccan court jails brother of suspected Paris attack planner
- 17:08 CET Lawmaker in India’s Goa charged with buying, drugging and raping…
- 16:52 CET Romanian ex-president being investigated on suspicion of money…