In southern Brazil, the process of burying the dead from the Santa Maria nightclub fire disaster has begun.
More than 230 young revellers perished at the party. At least 20 witness have told investigators that the blaze was triggered when the band on stage set off pyrotechnics.
Earlier at a community gymnasium, relatives and friends of the dead came to identify the bodies.
The smoke and fumes had proved more of a killer than the flames.
Witness said that bouncers blocked the exits at first, because they thought the youngsters were trying to dodge paying their bar bills.
Professor Neri Paniss from the Federal University of Santa Maria said: “Many of them were students from my university. They’re not only going to be missed now at this moment of loss, but each day forward.”
A fourth man is being questioned by police. Now the club’s two owners and two members of the band are in custody. There are no charges yet. Prosecutors say investigators have five days.
Reports in local media said the Kiss club’s fire certificate expired last year.
More than 80 people are in hospital, 30 of them in a serious condition.
The eyes of the world are on Brazil’s safety credentials, with the World Cup football and the Olympics coming up.
Already, some of the relatives are asking how authorities allowed such an event to go ahead.
The nation is in three days of mourning.
- 1Leopard enters Indian school, mauls six people
- 2Aleppo: Germany and Turkey call on NATO for help with refugees
- 3Refugees in Hungary offered classes to speed integration
- 4New migrant tragedy claims 27 lives as Greece grapples with refugee crisis
- 5Canada to pull out of bombing campaign against ISIL by 22 February
- 1Japanese volcano erupts on nuclear power station island
- 2US: Cars parked on frozen lake rescued after ice cracks
- 3Pegida fails to ignite as Europe-wide anti-Muslim protests fizzle
- 4One of world’s biggest container ships stranded on German river
- 5S Korea denounces N Korea rocket launch as ‘unacceptable provocation’
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 6Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 7Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 8Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 9Partnering to grow Europe
- 10Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 11Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 12Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 13Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 14Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 16Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 17Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 18latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19smart care - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
Latest world news
Canada to pull out of bombing campaign against ISIL by 22 February
New migrant tragedy claims 27 lives as Greece grapples with refugee crisis
Tens of thousands of Syrian refugees in camps next to Turkey border
Aleppo: Germany and Turkey call on NATO for help with refugees
Gusty winds hit Europe – on both sides of the Channel
Wires > News
- 01:17 CET U.S. defence intelligence chief predicts increased ISIS attacks
- 01:11 CET U.S. military seeks to prepare Africa for shifting terror threat
- 01:05 CET Hong Kong riot police clash with protesters amid crackdown on…
- 00:14 CET Wife of Islamic State leader charged in death of American – …
- 00:00 CET Israel NGO bill, seen as targeting left-wing groups, crosses first…
- 22:57 CET Dissident Irish nationalists claim fatal Dublin shooting – BBC
- 22:44 CET Laptop bomb may have blown hole in Somali plane – U.S. officials
- 22:41 CET Arab-Israeli lawmakers suspended for meeting families of killed…