Three people have died in Queensland as the remnants of Tropical Cyclone Oswald continue to wreak havoc in eastern Australia.
More than one metre of rain has fallen in the state in a twenty-four hour period.
People living in Sydney have been warned to expect torrential downpours as the ex-tropical cyclone moves slowly down the New South Wales coast.
This latest extreme weather system follows the cyclone that began in the Gulf of Carpentaria near northern Australia 10 days ago.
Homes are being evacuated across the Queensland.
The state capital, Brisbane, has been hit hard: around 200,000 houses are without electricity and many roads are closed.
In the Queensland city of Bundaberg, 300 kilometres north of Brisbane, 1,200 properties have been flooded and helicopters have been used to rescue 18 people from their rooftops.
In the small beach town of Mooloolaba, Queensland, weather conditions have churned sea water producing foam on the land.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 7India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 8Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 9[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 10European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 13Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 14Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 15Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 16Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 17Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 18Syria: Islamic extremists pledge to press ahead with battle for Kobani | euronews, world news
- 19Edgars Rinkevics: “I am gay. Good luck all of you.” | euronews, world news
- 20Anti-immigration protests in Rome | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 17:13 CET Unidentified jet targets airport in Libya’s Tripoli – witnesses
- 17:00 CET Bank on poor women and phones to drive growth in Africa, experts…
- 16:41 CET Hagel resigns as U.S. Defense secretary, official says
- 16:24 CET Alleged Sinaloa cartel logistics head to be sentenced in Chicago
- 16:02 CET India’s Congress signals it could back Modi’s insurance reform plan
- 15:57 CET Tunisia presidential vote heads into close run-off
- 15:50 CET Italy’s Renzi wins regional vote, low turnout sends warning
- 15:48 CET Sri Lanka’s Rajapaksa wins 2015 budget vote despite defections