Three people have died in Queensland as the remnants of Tropical Cyclone Oswald continue to wreak havoc in eastern Australia.
More than one metre of rain has fallen in the state in a twenty-four hour period.
People living in Sydney have been warned to expect torrential downpours as the ex-tropical cyclone moves slowly down the New South Wales coast.
This latest extreme weather system follows the cyclone that began in the Gulf of Carpentaria near northern Australia 10 days ago.
Homes are being evacuated across the Queensland.
The state capital, Brisbane, has been hit hard: around 200,000 houses are without electricity and many roads are closed.
In the Queensland city of Bundaberg, 300 kilometres north of Brisbane, 1,200 properties have been flooded and helicopters have been used to rescue 18 people from their rooftops.
In the small beach town of Mooloolaba, Queensland, weather conditions have churned sea water producing foam on the land.
- 1Bobbi Kristina Brown, Whitney Houston’s daughter, dies
- 2Coach has its roof sheared off in low tunnel near Lille
- 3Turkey appears to attack Kurdish targets in Syria, Turkey denies claim
- 4Saudi King flies into Cote d’Azur amid row over beach closure
- 5Sex, drugs and ‘shocking’ behaviour: Lord Sewel steps down amid allegations of lewd conduct
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 13Latest News Bulletin
- 14International news | euronews, latest international news
- 15Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 16Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 17At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 18Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 19‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 20Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
Wires > News
- 23:16 CET U.S. to parole convicted Israeli spy Pollard on November 21
- 22:45 CET Iraqi militia leader says U.S. not serious about fighting Islamic…
- 22:44 CET Iraqi militia leader says U.S. not serious about fighting Islamic…
- 22:15 CET More than 2,000 migrants tried to enter Channel Tunnel in France
- 22:05 CET EU’s Mogherini in Iran to discuss nuclear deal, region – TV
- 20:35 CET Ukrainian military pilot faces unfair trial in Russia – lawyers
- 20:30 CET As peace talks advance, Colombia struggles to find its missing
- 19:18 CET Sudan summons EU diplomat over statement on humanitarian needs