Day five of the latest Egyptian anti-government protests and the streets of Cairo were simmering with violence again.
The unrest has stubbornly refused to go away, so much so that the man in the protesters’ sights, President Mohamed Mursi has had to declare a state of emergency, imposing curfews in three cities on the banks of the Suez canal.
They want Mursi to go, claiming he hijacked the revolution they fought for two years ago, to impose his own Islamist stamp on the country.
The president invited political supporters and opponents for a national dialogue at his palace in Cairo. Opposition parties were not impressed and did not go.
One of the leading National Salvation Front figures, Mohamed El Baradei said: “The dialogue the president called for is cosmetic, not substantive. We support any kind of negotiation with an agenda and a timetable.”
As tanks took up position in Suez, the spokesman for the main opposition coalition, Khaled Dawoud said the president was missing the real problem in Egypt, that is his own policies.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1“Positive signs” Greece will work together with lenders to reach deal
- 2euronews sees damage first-hand in government-held city under rebel fire in Luhansk
- 3At least 27 dead in militant attacks in Egypt’s North Sinai province
- 4Israel blames Iran for deadly clash on Lebanese border
- 5What’s the link between WW1 and Hungary’s 675,000 new citizens?
- 1French co-pilot was at controls of doomed AirAsia passenger plane say investigators
- 2Council of Europe suspends Russian voting rights over Ukraine
- 3What’s the link between WW1 and Hungary’s 675,000 new citizens?
- 4Memories of rebel control in Kramatorsk
- 5Prisoner exchange in eastern Ukraine, as witnessed by euronews
- 1Greek elections: SYRIZA on course to win, but may fall short of majority
- 2German men ‘can use toilet while standing’, judge rules
- 3French co-pilot was at controls of doomed AirAsia passenger plane say investigators
- 4No word on Japanese hostages after ISIL deadline passes
- 5Thailand: Army urges respect for Yingluck Shinawatra impeachment
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2The power of the pen: Cartoonists worldwide react to the Charlie Hebdo attack | euronews, world news
- 3Immigration, racism in sport and the rise of extremism – Cantona shares his views | euronews, interview
- 4[LIVE] 12 dead after gun attack at French satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo | euronews, world news
- 5[LIVE NOW] Massive unity rally in Paris, with similar marches in other French cities | euronews, world news
- 6[LIVE] Second hostage crisis erupts in Paris as police close in on Charlie Hebdo suspects | euronews, world news
- 7Muslim groups fear backlash after terrorist attacks in Paris | euronews, news
- 8“ISIL is the baby of George W Bush” | euronews, news
- 9Medieval Bruges is to get its own underground beer pipeline | euronews, world news
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11Almost four million turn out for unity rallies across France | euronews, world news
- 12euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 13Key questions around the Charlie Hebdo killings go unanswered | euronews, world news
- 14A defiant Charlie Hebdo: it’s not the front page the terrorists would’ve wanted | euronews, world news
- 15HarperCollins wipes Israel off the map | euronews, world news
- 16NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 18Getting to know Sir Tony and “the world’s greatest tenor” | euronews, musica
- 19Grim task of retrieving bodies after wreckage of missing AirAsia plane found | euronews, world news
- 20Charlie Hebdo: Israeli paper deletes women from Paris march | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 05:44 CET Canada spy agency given more powers to disrupt terror attacks -…
- 04:21 CET Babies found alive in rubble after truck blast rips through Mexico…
- 02:33 CET Islamic State’s Egypt wing claims deadliest attacks in months -…
- 23:47 CET Man wielding pistol arrested at Dutch national broadcaster
- 22:59 CET U.S., Colombia arrest 17 accused of shipping cocaine from Venezuela
- 22:34 CET African Union backs plan for regional task force to fight Boko…
- 22:21 CET Argentine investigator into Jewish centre bombing buried
- 22:17 CET France’s Le Pen would lead first round of 2017 presidential vote -…