Day five of the latest Egyptian anti-government protests and the streets of Cairo were simmering with violence again.
The unrest has stubbornly refused to go away, so much so that the man in the protesters’ sights, President Mohamed Mursi has had to declare a state of emergency, imposing curfews in three cities on the banks of the Suez canal.
They want Mursi to go, claiming he hijacked the revolution they fought for two years ago, to impose his own Islamist stamp on the country.
The president invited political supporters and opponents for a national dialogue at his palace in Cairo. Opposition parties were not impressed and did not go.
One of the leading National Salvation Front figures, Mohamed El Baradei said: “The dialogue the president called for is cosmetic, not substantive. We support any kind of negotiation with an agenda and a timetable.”
As tanks took up position in Suez, the spokesman for the main opposition coalition, Khaled Dawoud said the president was missing the real problem in Egypt, that is his own policies.
- 1Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 2Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 3Investigators probe Germanwings co-pilot Andreas Lubitz’s background
- 4New video shows moment Tunisia’s elite BAT squad confront Bardo Museum killers
- 5Amazement in the hometown of Germanwings co-pilot Andreas Lubitz
- 1Germanwings crash: search suspended
- 2Search resumes for clues as to why Germanwings plane crashed in French Alps
- 3[Live updates] Germanwings crash investigators still searching for second Black Box
- 4Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 5Germanwings crash: Witnesses describe moment of impact
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 6Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 9Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 10London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 11French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 12Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 13Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 14Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 15Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 16eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 17French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 18Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 19Romania left red-faced after France-Germany map gaffe | euronews, world news
- 20Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 02:28 CET China launches ‘Sky Net’ to better coordinate graft fight
- 02:24 CET Eight gang members in El Salvador reported killed in shoot-out…
- 02:06 CET Japan makes a start on sharing lessons from nuclear crisis
- 01:08 CET Syria’s Assad says open to dialogue with U.S. – CBS interview
- 01:05 CET UK must cut aid for Nepal if ‘endemic’ corruption persists – report
- 00:28 CET Apple’s Tim Cook will give away all his money – Fortune
- 23:23 CET Moroccan opposition in rare standoff with police over burial
- 23:04 CET Yemeni leader Hadi leaves country as Saudi Arabia keeps up air…