28/01/13 22:35 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands has announced plans to step aside in favour of her son.
During a televised address to the nations she said: “I am not abdicating because the position was too hard on me. But because of my belief that the responsibility of this country has to be in the hands of a new generation.”
“With complete trust I will transfer the throne to my son, the Prince of Orange. He and Princess Maxima are fully prepared for their future task,” she added.
Prince Willem-Alexander is due to be crowned on 30 April.
Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte made a statement shortly after the Queen’s announcement: “I want to give my respect and admiration for Queen Beatrix’s outstanding services both in and for our country. From the moment she was crowned in 1980 she has given her heart and soul.”
Beatrix assumed the throne after her mother, Queen Juliana, abdicated in her favour 33 years ago.
- 1The EU’s 27 leaders “unite” as they view the future minus the UK
- 2Russia reacts to the Brexit
- 3Black box confirms smoke on board doomed EgyptAir flight
- 4Nicola Sturgeon gets ‘sympathetic’ reception in Brussels over Brexit
- 5Turkey mourns as the first funeral takes place of a victim from the Istanbul airport attack
- 1Dozens are killed and wounded in multiple suicide bomb attacks on Istanbul’s Ataturk airport
- 2Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 3Suspected ISIL bombers kill 36 and wound dozens at Istanbul airport
- 4Terror in Turkey: attack at Ataturk airport leaves 41 dead and scores injured
- 5Feisty Farage tells MEPs ‘You’re not laughing now’
Wires > News
- 13:54 CET Pakistan plans talks with Afghanistan, U.N. agency over refugees‘…
- 13:52 CET Unions reject French government amendments to labour law reform
- 13:50 CET Belgium transfers Paris attacks suspect to France
- 13:44 CET China issues rare rebuke in police brutality case
- 13:27 CET France’s Sarkozy overtakes rival Juppe in poll, eyes party…
- 13:21 CET Istanbul bombers were Russian, Uzbek, Kyrgyz nationals – Turkish…
- 12:37 CET Vietnam court sentences Australian woman, 73, to death on heroin…
- 12:15 CET Palestinian kills teen in Israeli settlement, then shot dead – army