Relatives and friends have gathered at a school gym-turned-makeshift-morgue to mourn the victims of a nightclub fire in southern Brazil.
It is thought stage fireworks set off a blaze inside the Kiss nightclub in Santa Maria.
Those inside, the majority of them young people, died from asphyxiation or from being trampled.
Latest reports suggest at least 230 have been killed. Those who survived managed to find the emergency exits.
“You never think this will happen to anyone you know,” said one man. “I have seen friends being buried today. I saw two brothers being buried and I have just found out that another one of my friends is among those who died.”
Another man spoke of the sadness of losing his son. “My son was full of life,” he told reporters, “and full of health at 27 years old.”
Footage captured on mobile phones inside the nightclub showed massive confusion and panic.
More than 100 people are being treated in hospital after breathing in smoke.
The first funerals will be held today. President Dilma Roussef has cut short a visit to Chile to return to Brazil to visit relatives of the victims and survivors.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1International investigators reach MH17 crash site in Ukraine
- 2Ukrainian prime minister’s triumphant speech after resignation rejected
- 3Edward Snowden: after one year in Russia, what now for the NSA whistleblower?
- 4Rosetta the comet hunter arrives at its target
- 5Deadly attack on Ukraine troops near Malaysia Airlines crash site
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Arseniy Yatsenyuk
- 3Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
- 4Ukraine: ‘Disappointment’ at Yatsenyuk resignation
- 5Fears over spread of Ebola as more tragedies emerge
Wires > News
- 13:42 CET Ugandan constitutional court strikes down anti-homosexuality law
- 13:36 CET Court rejects request to arrest Kremlin critic Navalny
- 12:51 CET Pakistan widows, ‘second’ wives flee fighting but are denied aid
- 12:47 CET Islamic State imposes media controls in Syrian province
- 11:48 CET Cyprus expects to grant first casino resort licence within a year
- 10:38 CET Insight – Town vs town, faction vs faction as Libya descends into…
- 09:48 CET Greece evacuates embassy staff, foreign nationals from Libya
- 09:46 CET PR firm Edelman says its China chief is missing amid unspecified…