Relatives and friends have gathered at a school gym-turned-makeshift-morgue to mourn the victims of a nightclub fire in southern Brazil.
It is thought stage fireworks set off a blaze inside the Kiss nightclub in Santa Maria.
Those inside, the majority of them young people, died from asphyxiation or from being trampled.
Latest reports suggest at least 230 have been killed. Those who survived managed to find the emergency exits.
“You never think this will happen to anyone you know,” said one man. “I have seen friends being buried today. I saw two brothers being buried and I have just found out that another one of my friends is among those who died.”
Another man spoke of the sadness of losing his son. “My son was full of life,” he told reporters, “and full of health at 27 years old.”
Footage captured on mobile phones inside the nightclub showed massive confusion and panic.
More than 100 people are being treated in hospital after breathing in smoke.
The first funerals will be held today. President Dilma Roussef has cut short a visit to Chile to return to Brazil to visit relatives of the victims and survivors.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 13Latest News Bulletin
- 14Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Dudamel’s gift of Beethoven to brotherly Bogota
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
Wires > News
- 06:08 CET India floods derail two trains, killing at least 20; hundreds…
- 05:05 CET Kerry says to discuss South China Sea tensions with China’s Wang
- 04:52 CET China appeals for U.S. help to fight Xinjiang militants
- 04:51 CET FBI looking into security of Clinton private email account -…
- 04:05 CET Fewer Germans going to Syria, Iraq to fight for Islamic State -…
- 03:57 CET Australia says initial MH370 debris drift models gave wrong clues
- 02:22 CET Chile’s lawmakers take key step toward decriminalising abortion
- 01:05 CET New Taliban leader moves fast to heal rifts in Afghan insurgency