Relatives and friends have gathered at a school gym-turned-makeshift-morgue to mourn the victims of a nightclub fire in southern Brazil.
It is thought stage fireworks set off a blaze inside the Kiss nightclub in Santa Maria.
Those inside, the majority of them young people, died from asphyxiation or from being trampled.
Latest reports suggest at least 230 have been killed. Those who survived managed to find the emergency exits.
“You never think this will happen to anyone you know,” said one man. “I have seen friends being buried today. I saw two brothers being buried and I have just found out that another one of my friends is among those who died.”
Another man spoke of the sadness of losing his son. “My son was full of life,” he told reporters, “and full of health at 27 years old.”
Footage captured on mobile phones inside the nightclub showed massive confusion and panic.
More than 100 people are being treated in hospital after breathing in smoke.
The first funerals will be held today. President Dilma Roussef has cut short a visit to Chile to return to Brazil to visit relatives of the victims and survivors.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 3Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 4Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 5Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 6Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 7British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 8Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 9Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 10Thousands ‘evade’ Ebola lockdown in Sierra Leone | euronews, world news
- 11How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 12Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 13Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 14Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 15euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
- 16European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 17Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 18International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 19All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 20Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 11:40 CET Japanese PM Abe suffers setback as two ministers quit
- 11:28 CET China likely will never open all files on painful past, official…
- 11:09 CET Japan to send team to North Korea for update on abductions
- 10:10 CET Reform-minded outsider Widodo takes over as Indonesia’s president
- 09:48 CET U.S. military says air-drops weapons for Kurdish fighters near…
- 09:28 CET Polish president wants euro decision after 2015 vote – report
- 05:50 CET Mexico feds to replace 13 local police forces suspected of crime…
- 05:17 CET Famed US-born translator and Chinese citizen, dies aged 98