Relatives and friends have gathered at a school gym-turned-makeshift-morgue to mourn the victims of a nightclub fire in southern Brazil.
It is thought stage fireworks set off a blaze inside the Kiss nightclub in Santa Maria.
Those inside, the majority of them young people, died from asphyxiation or from being trampled.
Latest reports suggest at least 230 have been killed. Those who survived managed to find the emergency exits.
“You never think this will happen to anyone you know,” said one man. “I have seen friends being buried today. I saw two brothers being buried and I have just found out that another one of my friends is among those who died.”
Another man spoke of the sadness of losing his son. “My son was full of life,” he told reporters, “and full of health at 27 years old.”
Footage captured on mobile phones inside the nightclub showed massive confusion and panic.
More than 100 people are being treated in hospital after breathing in smoke.
The first funerals will be held today. President Dilma Roussef has cut short a visit to Chile to return to Brazil to visit relatives of the victims and survivors.
- 1Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 2Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 3Saakashvili warns of Odessa region’s importance to Ukraine
- 4Tsipras says if Greeks approve the EU’s aid plan, Syriza will resign
- 5Suspect in French beheading attack admits killing his boss
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 3[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 4Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 7Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 8[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 9Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 10NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 12‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 13Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 14Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 15Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 16Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 17Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 18Greek banks, stock exchange will not open on Monday, Tsipras announces
- 19Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 20Hungary: billboard war sparks international concern
Wires > News
- 18:13 CET Greek referendum final polls show ‘No’ vote ahead by small margin
- 18:06 CET Insight – Fears of Syria war persist in Lebanese border village
- 17:46 CET Lebanese Hezbollah and Syrian army enter rebel-held border city
- 17:45 CET Islamic State targeted in 38 air strikes by U.S.-led coalition -…
- 17:43 CET Afghan leader refuses to be drawn into lynching sentences row
- 17:00 CET Burundi rejects U.N. mediator after critical report about elections
- 16:56 CET Spain’s anti-austerity Podemos tied with mainstream parties – poll
- 16:41 CET Malaysia’s opposition demands emergency debate on PM after graft…