In southern Brazil, relatives and friends of more than 200 young people killed in a nightclub fire have gathered in the city of Santa Maria to reclaim their bodies.
They were taken to a community gymnasium for identification.
Police said the band on stage set off a flare that ignited insulation material in the ceiling. It spread in seconds causing a scramble for a way out.
The fire was at a party organised by students from the Federal University of Santa Maria.
Professor Neri Paniss said: “Many of them were students from my university. They’re not only going to be missed now at this moment of loss, but each day forward.”
Police have arrested one of the owners of the Kiss club and two members of the band. Reports in local media said the club’s fire certificate expired last year.
It is the worst nightclub fire in the world for a decade, and has touched all corners of this vast country.
The eyes of the world are on Brazil’s safety credentials, with the World Cup football and the Olympics coming up.
The nation is in three days of mourning.
- 1Spain heading for constitutional tension as Catalonia calls an early election
- 2Obama unveils US plan to cut carbon emissions
- 3Iran sizzles in some of the hottest temperatures ever known to humankind
- 4Ukrainians protest against a planned “buffer zone”
- 5Italy arrests Mafia suspects after cracking Cosa Nostra’s secret code words
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12Latest News Bulletin
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Dudamel’s gift of Beethoven to brotherly Bogota
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
Latest world news
Norwegian police investigate ‘bomb-like’ package at Oslo university
At least 20 killed as two trains derail in central India
Israel approves detention without trial in crackdown on Jewish extremists
Appeal for international aid as floods kill hundreds in Myanmar and India
Croatia and Serbia mark the 20th anniversary of Operation Storm
Wires > News
- 08:10 CET Japan’s Abe asks Biden for investigation of possible U.S. spying
- 07:37 CET Norwegian police investigate ‘bomb-like’ package at Oslo university
- 07:34 CET Civilian casualties rise as Afghan war intensifies in 2015
- 06:14 CET Kerry, China’s Wang discuss South China Sea tensions
- 06:08 CET India floods derail two trains, killing at least 20; hundreds…
- 04:52 CET China appeals for U.S. help to fight Xinjiang militants
- 04:51 CET FBI looking into security of Clinton private email account -…
- 04:05 CET Fewer Germans going to Syria, Iraq to fight for Islamic State -…