In southern Brazil, relatives and friends of more than 200 young people killed in a nightclub fire have gathered in the city of Santa Maria to reclaim their bodies.
They were taken to a community gymnasium for identification.
Police said the band on stage set off a flare that ignited insulation material in the ceiling. It spread in seconds causing a scramble for a way out.
The fire was at a party organised by students from the Federal University of Santa Maria.
Professor Neri Paniss said: “Many of them were students from my university. They’re not only going to be missed now at this moment of loss, but each day forward.”
Police have arrested one of the owners of the Kiss club and two members of the band. Reports in local media said the club’s fire certificate expired last year.
It is the worst nightclub fire in the world for a decade, and has touched all corners of this vast country.
The eyes of the world are on Brazil’s safety credentials, with the World Cup football and the Olympics coming up.
The nation is in three days of mourning.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Russia sanctions threaten to rebound on EU
- 2Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
- 3#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 4Israeli strike kills 19 Palestinians near Gaza market
- 5India: entire village buried under massive mudslide
- 1Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
- 2Scientists baffled by two new holes discovered in Siberia
- 3Russia defiant in face of tough EU-US sanctions
- 4#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 5Gaza: Deaths at Jebalya school after Israeli strike
Wires > News
- 06:59 CET Some WTO members discussing customs deal without India – sources
- 05:17 CET El Salvador detains Spanish priest for smuggling cell phones into…
- 23:05 CET Drug-resistant malaria reaches Southeast Asia borders, could…
- 21:47 CET Hezbollah commander killed in Iraq-sources
- 21:07 CET Kerry presses India on global trade deal as deadline looms
- 20:14 CET Shi’ite militia hangs up 15 executed Sunnis in Iraqi square
- 19:50 CET U.S. blacklists North Korea shipping firms over arms shipments
- 18:01 CET South Korea president’s party wins vote, green light for economic…