In southern Brazil, relatives and friends of more than 200 young people killed in a nightclub fire have gathered in the city of Santa Maria to reclaim their bodies.
They were taken to a community gymnasium for identification.
Police said the band on stage set off a flare that ignited insulation material in the ceiling. It spread in seconds causing a scramble for a way out.
The fire was at a party organised by students from the Federal University of Santa Maria.
Professor Neri Paniss said: “Many of them were students from my university. They’re not only going to be missed now at this moment of loss, but each day forward.”
Police have arrested one of the owners of the Kiss club and two members of the band. Reports in local media said the club’s fire certificate expired last year.
It is the worst nightclub fire in the world for a decade, and has touched all corners of this vast country.
The eyes of the world are on Brazil’s safety credentials, with the World Cup football and the Olympics coming up.
The nation is in three days of mourning.
- 1Leaders ‘influenced Putin’ over Savchenko release, say Ukraine pilot’s lawyers
- 2The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 3Groundbreaking study sheds light on Neanderthal life
- 4New video footage: overcrowded migrant boat capsizing
- 5Third night of riots rock Barcelona’s Gràcia district
- 1Groundbreaking study sheds light on Neanderthal life
- 2Germany: #Cutesolidarity response to Kinder chocolate controversy
- 3In the EU ‘one in three deaths of under-75s is avoidable,’ says Eurostat
- 4Germany’s carrot and stick approach to refugee integration
- 5Hero’s welcome for Ukraine pilot Nadiya Savchenko after Russia prisoner swap
Wires > News
- 07:18 CET Korean Air evacuates plane at Japan’s Haneda airport after engine…
- 07:17 CET China faces headaches from warming Vietnam-U.S. ties
- 07:09 CET Push for encryption law falters despite Apple case spotlight
- 06:58 CET Top China steel city orders mills to cut output to clear air
- 06:55 CET Speedboat crash kills three foreigners in Thailand – police
- 06:32 CET Earthquake measuring 6.3 magnitude strikes deep off Tonga – USGS
- 05:43 CET “Barking mad” Trump looms over Australian election campaign
- 05:41 CET G7 vows growth, fudges FX, frets North Korea, Russia, China