In southern Brazil, relatives and friends of more than 200 young people killed in a nightclub fire have gathered in the city of Santa Maria to reclaim their bodies.
They were taken to a community gymnasium for identification.
Police said the band on stage set off a flare that ignited insulation material in the ceiling. It spread in seconds causing a scramble for a way out.
The fire was at a party organised by students from the Federal University of Santa Maria.
Professor Neri Paniss said: “Many of them were students from my university. They’re not only going to be missed now at this moment of loss, but each day forward.”
Police have arrested one of the owners of the Kiss club and two members of the band. Reports in local media said the club’s fire certificate expired last year.
It is the worst nightclub fire in the world for a decade, and has touched all corners of this vast country.
The eyes of the world are on Brazil’s safety credentials, with the World Cup football and the Olympics coming up.
The nation is in three days of mourning.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1Funeral of singer Demis Roussos held in Athens
- 2Greece warned against reversing austerity as it rejects bailout administrators
- 344 police commandos killed in anti-terror op mourned in Philippines
- 4‘Only Russia’ dangerously probes British airspace, says source
- 5No more Troika talks as Greece seeks new debt deal
- 1Ukrainian artillery fire thwarts rebel plan to surround government troops in Debaltseve
- 244 police commandos killed in anti-terror op mourned in Philippines
- 3Greece warned against reversing austerity as it rejects bailout administrators
- 4Gunman interrupts Dutch broadcast to demand airtime before being arrested
- 5‘Positive signs’ Greece will work together with lenders to reach deal
- 1Greek elections: SYRIZA on course to win, but may fall short of majority
- 2French co-pilot was at controls of doomed AirAsia passenger plane say investigators
- 3No word on Japanese hostages after ISIL deadline passes
- 4Japan and Jordan join forces to secure release of two of their nationals from the hands of ISIL
- 5Ukrainian rebel attacks on city of Mariupol are condemned by the UN as a war crime
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2The power of the pen: Cartoonists worldwide react to the Charlie Hebdo attack | euronews, world news
- 3Immigration, racism in sport and the rise of extremism – Cantona shares his views | euronews, interview
- 4[LIVE] 12 dead after gun attack at French satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo | euronews, world news
- 5[LIVE NOW] Massive unity rally in Paris, with similar marches in other French cities | euronews, world news
- 6[LIVE] Second hostage crisis erupts in Paris as police close in on Charlie Hebdo suspects | euronews, world news
- 7Muslim groups fear backlash after terrorist attacks in Paris | euronews, news
- 8“ISIL is the baby of George W Bush” | euronews, news
- 9Medieval Bruges is to get its own underground beer pipeline | euronews, world news
- 10Almost four million turn out for unity rallies across France | euronews, world news
- 11International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 12euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 13Key questions around the Charlie Hebdo killings go unanswered | euronews, world news
- 14eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 15A defiant Charlie Hebdo: it’s not the front page the terrorists would’ve wanted | euronews, world news
- 16HarperCollins wipes Israel off the map | euronews, world news
- 17NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Getting to know Sir Tony and “the world’s greatest tenor” | euronews, musica
- 19Charlie Hebdo: Israeli paper deletes women from Paris march | euronews, world news
- 20International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
Wires > News
- 11:18 CET Western-backed rebels join Aleppo alliance – Syria monitor
- 11:08 CET Two die as Muslim protesters clash with police in Afghan capital -…
- 01:21 CET Exclusive – U.N. support for Congo campaign against Rwanda rebels…
- 00:02 CET Mexico tests DNA of babies who survived blast in search for parents
- 23:31 CET Republican Romney opts out of 2016 run for president
- 22:55 CET Dozens detained in Austrian ball protests
- 22:54 CET Turmoil at congress of Germany party swiping votes from Merkel
- 22:28 CET Islamic State attacks Kurdish outposts across Iraq