Thousands of protesters braved the bitterly cold Washington weather on Saturday as part of a campaign against gun crime.
Some held signs calling for assault-weapons to be banned as they marched through the US capital.
The rally was led by Washington Mayor Vincent Gray who called on Congress to act swiftly to pass stricter laws on firearms.
“We got to get these assault weapons out of our streets and our society. We got to have universal background checks, and we have got to recognise that we can’t have guns in the hands of people who are psychotic.”
About 100 residents of Newtown were also there. The Connecticut town saw last year’s biggest mass shooting when 20 children and six adults were gunned-down by a lone killer at an elementary school.
The protest, which came a week after nationwide rallies by gun-rights supporters, was even backed by Hollywood actress Kathleen Turner.
“The public is now, at this moment, very active, very aware and we have to push it through to the point of legislation,” she said.
Reporting from Washington DC, euronews’ correspondent Stefan Grobe said: “Anti-gun America has spoken with force, and the Obama administration is determined to jolt the nation into action. But whether all this will resonate with Congress remains in doubt.”
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Twelve injured as huge storm lashes Australian city of Brisbane
- 2Heartbroken dog waits in vain for its dead owner in Russia
- 3Which countries in Europe cause the most air pollution damage?
- 4Kim Jong-un hands high ranking Pyongyang position to his younger sister
- 5Australian cricketer Phillip Hughes dies two days after being hit by ball
- 1Kim Jong-un hands high ranking Pyongyang position to his younger sister
- 2Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia
- 3Italy: Tourist fined 20,000 euros for damaging Rome’s Colosseum
- 4Australian cricketer Phillip Hughes dies two days after being hit by ball
- 5Thanksgiving turkey pardoned by president
- 1Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia
- 2Kim Jong-un hands high ranking Pyongyang position to his younger sister
- 3Putin denies he wants to create a new Iron Curtain
- 4Turkish President sparks row by saying women are not equal to men
- 5Clashes as Hong Kong protesters try to regain lost ground
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 7Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 8India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 9European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 10Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 11[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 12International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 13Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 14Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 15Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 16Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 17Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 20euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
Wires > News
- 11:18 CET Russian warships enter English Channel for drills – RIA
- 11:16 CET China promotes controversial antitrust official – state media
- 10:50 CET Mining, independence at stake as Greenland goes to the polls
- 10:30 CET Syria denies targeting civilians, tells U.S. to criticise militants
- 10:27 CET Nepal devotees sacrifice thousands of animals in Hindu ritual
- 09:27 CET China writer goes on trial for media censorship protest after long…
- 09:12 CET China nears ‘peak coal’ as carbon and clean growth policies bite
- 08:58 CET Impeachment process begins for ousted Thai PM Yingluck