Thousands of protesters braved the bitterly cold Washington weather on Saturday as part of a campaign against gun crime.
Some held signs calling for assault-weapons to be banned as they marched through the US capital.
The rally was led by Washington Mayor Vincent Gray who called on Congress to act swiftly to pass stricter laws on firearms.
“We got to get these assault weapons out of our streets and our society. We got to have universal background checks, and we have got to recognise that we can’t have guns in the hands of people who are psychotic.”
About 100 residents of Newtown were also there. The Connecticut town saw last year’s biggest mass shooting when 20 children and six adults were gunned-down by a lone killer at an elementary school.
The protest, which came a week after nationwide rallies by gun-rights supporters, was even backed by Hollywood actress Kathleen Turner.
“The public is now, at this moment, very active, very aware and we have to push it through to the point of legislation,” she said.
Reporting from Washington DC, euronews’ correspondent Stefan Grobe said: “Anti-gun America has spoken with force, and the Obama administration is determined to jolt the nation into action. But whether all this will resonate with Congress remains in doubt.”
- 1Martin Schulz attacks ‘cynical’ EU governments over migrants crisis
- 2Poland ‘has located’ buried Nazi treasure train
- 3Palestinian women and children force Israeli soldier to release boy
- 4Disruption continues after travellers end French motorway blockade
- 5Malaysia: Protesters demand resignation of PM Najib Razak over financial scandal
- 1Poland ‘has located’ buried Nazi treasure train
- 2Budapest vigil for 71 found dead on Austrian motorway
- 3Disruption continues after travellers end French motorway blockade
- 4Germany wants camps in Italy, Greece, Turkey to sort through migrants seeking asylum
- 5Tropical Storm Erika threatens Haiti and Dominican Republic with mud slides
- 1‘Dude, I tried to shoot him’: video shows moments after train attack in France
- 2Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 3New York: toplessness in Times Square could change forever
- 4US shootings: suspect dies of gunshot wounds
- 5France awards Legion of Honour to men who disarmed train gunman
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 6Latest News Bulletin
- 7Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 8Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 9Why World Elephant Day matters
- 10International news | euronews, latest international news
- 11UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 17As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 18Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Latest world news
Martin Schulz attacks ‘cynical’ EU governments over migrants crisis
Malaysia: Protesters demand resignation of PM Najib Razak over financial scandal
Palestinian women and children force Israeli soldier to release boy
Thai police arrest ‘Turkish’ man over Bangkok bombing
Disruption continues after travellers end French motorway blockade
Wires > News
- 07:00 CET Brazilian weekly says Lula lobbied for Odebrecht in Cuba
- 02:19 CET American arrested on Sierra Leone ‘blood diamond’ charges
- 23:40 CET Egyptian court sentences three Al Jazeera journalists to prison
- 22:15 CET Turkish opposition leader says talks would secure Kurdish ceasefire
- 21:10 CET Refugee children, close to death, found in van in Austria
- 19:19 CET European ministers agree more railway security, urge Schengen…
- 19:11 CET Myanmar bans parties from criticising army in state media
- 17:55 CET Christian group occupies Philippine highway for second night