In Mali, French fighter bombers have destroyed the home belonging to the leader of an Islamist group linked to al-Qaeda.
Jets attacked positions where the group Ansar Dine – or defenders of Islam – had dug in at Kidal. It was the first town to be captured by Islamist rebels last year when they seized control of vast swathes of northern Mali.
The former Tuareg rebel Iyad Ag Ghaly set up Ansar Dine in 2012. It is not known whether or not he survived the French air strike.
It is the latest move in the advance against the Islamists that began with an urgent request for help from Mali’s government two weeks ago. On Saturday French and Malian forces prised the stronghold of Gao from rebel hands, the biggest success so far in the anti-insurgent offensive.
The conflict has dominated the start of the African Union summit which has got underway in Addis Ababa. African states have promised nearly 5,700 troops for an intervention force.
The United States is to make three flying tankers available so French aircraft can refuel in midair.
- 1Explainer: why the blue moon will not be blue
- 2Ukraine’s Constitutional Court approves self-rule plan for troubled east
- 3Mistral: Deal or no deal between France and Russia?
- 4‘Despot’ Vladimir Putin ‘ordered’ Litvinenko murder, inquiry hears
- 5Revenge calls as Palestinian boy dies in ‘Jewish settler’ arson attack
- 1Orthodox Jew ‘repeats’ Jerusalem Gay Pride stabbing attack
- 2Ukraine: Civilians killed in shelling amid fragile truce
- 3Migrant crisis becomes hot political issue in Britain and France
- 4Palestinian toddler killed in ‘terrorist’ arson attack, says Israel
- 5Greek PM suggests party referendum to overcome split in Syriza
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 10Latest News Bulletin
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
Latest world news
Missing MH370: suspected wing debris arrives in France for analysis
Bin Laden family jet crashes in England
Fears of upsurge in violence following death of Palestinian infant
Ebola vaccine trial shows 100% effectiveness in Guinea
Germany suspends treason investigation into news website
Wires > News
- 08:24 CET Plane debris arrives in France for Malaysia crash investigation
- 07:06 CET On Army Day, China warns of growing border security risks
- 04:47 CET Mexican judge suspends U.S. extradition order for fugitive ‘Chapo‘…
- 04:09 CET Exclusive – Donald Trump’s companies have sought visas to import…
- 02:55 CET Recovered plane debris flown to France for checks
- 01:40 CET Iraq’s Kurdistan laments caught in middle of Turkey-PKK fight
- 01:18 CET Eleven Colombian military personnel killed in plane crash
- 22:22 CET Mexican president’s approval ratings hit after drug kingpin’s…