In Mali, French fighter bombers have destroyed the home belonging to the leader of an Islamist group linked to al-Qaeda.
Jets attacked positions where the group Ansar Dine – or defenders of Islam – had dug in at Kidal. It was the first town to be captured by Islamist rebels last year when they seized control of vast swathes of northern Mali.
The former Tuareg rebel Iyad Ag Ghaly set up Ansar Dine in 2012. It is not known whether or not he survived the French air strike.
It is the latest move in the advance against the Islamists that began with an urgent request for help from Mali’s government two weeks ago. On Saturday French and Malian forces prised the stronghold of Gao from rebel hands, the biggest success so far in the anti-insurgent offensive.
The conflict has dominated the start of the African Union summit which has got underway in Addis Ababa. African states have promised nearly 5,700 troops for an intervention force.
The United States is to make three flying tankers available so French aircraft can refuel in midair.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ukraine as it happened: Crimean referendum widens US-Russia split
- 2Ukraine as it happened: EU and US announce sanctions to Russia as talks linger on
- 3Syria’s Assad expresses support for Putin on Ukraine
- 4Russia: Pussy Riot suffer burns and head injuries after being attacked at McDonalds
- 5Ukraine police on alert as violence erupts at pro-Russia demo
- 1Oscars 2014: ’12 Years a Slave’ makes history with best picture Oscar
- 2Ukraine as it happened: Moscow start talks with Kyiv under US and EU threats of sanctions
- 3Read Jared Leto’s touching, thoughtful acceptance speech
- 4Ukraine: Violent clashes in Kharkiv leave dozens injured
- 5Ukraine as it happened: UN envoy chased in Crimea, Russia-US talks in Paris
Wires > News
- 21:50 CET U.S. special forces sent to train Iraqi special forces in Jordan
- 21:34 CET Latin American foreign ministers to discuss Venezuela unrest
- 21:26 CET Turkey’s former army chief freed from prison
- 21:03 CET Netanyahu says Israel would give up ‘some settlements’ for peace
- 20:45 CET Iran, world powers hold ‘substantive and useful’ nuclear talks
- 20:44 CET Yemen names new oil and interior ministers – state news agency
- 20:40 CET U.S. State Department says June deadline on Syria chemical weapons…
- 19:58 CET Ted Turner rushed to clinic in Argentina with appendicitis-media