In Mali, French fighter bombers have destroyed the home belonging to the leader of an Islamist group linked to al-Qaeda.
Jets attacked positions where the group Ansar Dine – or defenders of Islam – had dug in at Kidal. It was the first town to be captured by Islamist rebels last year when they seized control of vast swathes of northern Mali.
The former Tuareg rebel Iyad Ag Ghaly set up Ansar Dine in 2012. It is not known whether or not he survived the French air strike.
It is the latest move in the advance against the Islamists that began with an urgent request for help from Mali’s government two weeks ago. On Saturday French and Malian forces prised the stronghold of Gao from rebel hands, the biggest success so far in the anti-insurgent offensive.
The conflict has dominated the start of the African Union summit which has got underway in Addis Ababa. African states have promised nearly 5,700 troops for an intervention force.
The United States is to make three flying tankers available so French aircraft can refuel in midair.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 2Watch April 15 total lunar eclipse live online
- 3Ukraine as it happened: Pro-Russian freeze Ukrainian army operation in Kramatorsk
- 4Russian PM Dmitry Medvedev says Ukraine on ‘brink of civil war’
- 5Armoured vehicles flying Russian flags roll into Slovyansk in Ukraine
- 1Watch April 15 total lunar eclipse live online
- 2Mind-bending vending machine dispenses marijuana
- 3Ukrainian troops begin ‘anti-terror operation’ in eastern city Kramatorsk
- 4Deadly bomb attack in Abuja is blamed on Boko Haram
- 5Divisions widen in Ukraine as Kyiv is urged to rein in pro-Russian separatists
Wires > News
- 20:34 CET Iranian negotiators reject hardline criticism of nuclear talks
- 18:55 CET 22 reported killed in clashes over Central African Republic town
- 18:48 CET India’s Modi says committed to no first use of nuclear weapons
- 18:26 CET Jordanian warplanes destroy vehicles trying to cross from Syria -…
- 18:14 CET Abductors of Nigerian schoolgirls pretended to be soldiers -…
- 18:12 CET Ex-bin Laden ally turns key witness in U.S. terrorism cases
- 17:41 CET Pakistani Taliban end ceasefire with government but say talks…
- 17:39 CET ‘Super tax’ on African remittances hurts development – thinktank