27/01/13 09:33 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Austrian prodigy Gregor Schlierenzauer kept his composure to clinch a ski flying event in Vikersund on Saturday and tie the record for most ski jumping World Cup victories.
The 23 year old old recorded jumps of 216,5 and 240 metres – long enough to keep a pack of hungry chasers at bay.
This win sees Schlierenzauer extend his lead in the overall World Cup standings. He now leads Norway’s Anders Bardal by 197 points.
Schlierenzauer couldn’t muster a perfect landing after his 240-meter leap, but his points total still held up after Simon Ammann only managed 229.5 meters in the final jump of the day.
The Swiss double Olympic champion finished just 0.5 points behind in second, while Robert Kranjec of Slovenia was third, another 0.6 points back.
Norway’s Andreas Stjernen and Poland’s Kamil Stoch finished fourth and fifth respectively.
Austria’s Simon Ammann second-round leap of 229.5m for 418.2 points effectively secured him second place with Slovenia’s Robert Kranjec only managing 212 metres and 232.5 for third.
- 1Champions League: Defending champs Barcelona storm into last 16
- 2Britain’s Webb wins Antarctic Ice Marathon
- 3Djokovic downs Federer to secure ATP World Tour title in London
- 4Champions League: Real Madrid hold off Shakhtar to win Group A
- 5FIFA ethics panel calls for sanctions against Blatter and Platini
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 7latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 8world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 9European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 10New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 11Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 12Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 13International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 14‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 15Latest sport news
- 16‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 17Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Romanians’ cold revolt against corruption
- 19Egypt armed forces chief Abdul Fattah al-Sisi – a man of destiny
- 20No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
Wires > Sport
- 01:25 CET Briton Fury crowned world champion after beating Klitschko
- 22:29 CET Record for goal-king Vardy as Leicester hold United
- 19:46 CET McClaren feeling the heat after Newcastle ship five at Palace
- 19:36 CET Mercedes seek guidance on partnership agreements
- 17:14 CET Fury in row over ring canvas for Klitschko fight
- 17:12 CET Vettel caught out as Ferrari get sums wrong
- 15:59 CET Liverpool FA Cup hero Byrne dies at 77
- 15:48 CET Faldo predicts new-look European Ryder Cup team