Austrian prodigy Gregor Schlierenzauer kept his composure to clinch a ski flying event in Vikersund on Saturday and tie the record for most ski jumping World Cup victories.
The 23 year old old recorded jumps of 216,5 and 240 metres – long enough to keep a pack of hungry chasers at bay.
This win sees Schlierenzauer extend his lead in the overall World Cup standings. He now leads Norway’s Anders Bardal by 197 points.
Schlierenzauer couldn’t muster a perfect landing after his 240-meter leap, but his points total still held up after Simon Ammann only managed 229.5 meters in the final jump of the day.
The Swiss double Olympic champion finished just 0.5 points behind in second, while Robert Kranjec of Slovenia was third, another 0.6 points back.
Norway’s Andreas Stjernen and Poland’s Kamil Stoch finished fourth and fifth respectively.
Austria’s Simon Ammann second-round leap of 229.5m for 418.2 points effectively secured him second place with Slovenia’s Robert Kranjec only managing 212 metres and 232.5 for third.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 7India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 8Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 9[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 10European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 13Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 14Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 15Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 16Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 17Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 18Syria: Islamic extremists pledge to press ahead with battle for Kobani | euronews, world news
- 19Edgars Rinkevics: “I am gay. Good luck all of you.” | euronews, world news
- 20Anti-immigration protests in Rome | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 09:15 CET China’s Sun served three-month banned for doping test
- 03:41 CET Rejuvenated CSKA out to complete amazing comeback
- 03:40 CET Pellegrini feeling pressure ahead of Bayern clash
- 03:38 CET Schalke’s Di Matteo to use home record to stop Chelsea
- 03:37 CET Big guns sweat over Champions League progress
- 03:24 CET Rio 2016 mascots inspired by animals and plants of Brazil
- 02:16 CET Real Madrid to play exhibition matches in Melbourne
- 23:15 CET Milan derby ends all square on Mancini’s Inter return