Austrian prodigy Gregor Schlierenzauer kept his composure to clinch a ski flying event in Vikersund on Saturday and tie the record for most ski jumping World Cup victories.
The 23 year old old recorded jumps of 216,5 and 240 metres – long enough to keep a pack of hungry chasers at bay.
This win sees Schlierenzauer extend his lead in the overall World Cup standings. He now leads Norway’s Anders Bardal by 197 points.
Schlierenzauer couldn’t muster a perfect landing after his 240-meter leap, but his points total still held up after Simon Ammann only managed 229.5 meters in the final jump of the day.
The Swiss double Olympic champion finished just 0.5 points behind in second, while Robert Kranjec of Slovenia was third, another 0.6 points back.
Norway’s Andreas Stjernen and Poland’s Kamil Stoch finished fourth and fifth respectively.
Austria’s Simon Ammann second-round leap of 229.5m for 418.2 points effectively secured him second place with Slovenia’s Robert Kranjec only managing 212 metres and 232.5 for third.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin | euronews, world news
- 3Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 4New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 5Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 63D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 7Rise of the machines | euronews, futuris
- 8Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 9Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 10Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 11Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 12Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 13British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 14Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
- 15The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
- 16Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 17#Indyref Live: Scotland votes on independence from UK | euronews, world news
- 18Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 19Official ‘executed by flame-thrower’ over links to Kim Jong-un’s purged uncle | euronews, world news
- 20euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
Wires > Sport
- 10:13 CET Benzema winner for Real right way to silence detractors
- 09:58 CET Thailand in talks to host Tour de France
- 09:46 CET Dortmund want Europe form to spill over into league
- 06:25 CET Indian boxer showed lack of sportsmanship, say organisers
- 04:11 CET Fabregas, Pochettino ready to battle old friends
- 02:02 CET Holders Real scrape past Ludogorets 2-1 in Sofia
- 01:21 CET Brazil’s Dani Alves plans to leave Barcelona
- 00:46 CET Arsenal demolish Galatasaray with Welbeck treble