Austrian prodigy Gregor Schlierenzauer kept his composure to clinch a ski flying event in Vikersund on Saturday and tie the record for most ski jumping World Cup victories.
The 23 year old old recorded jumps of 216,5 and 240 metres – long enough to keep a pack of hungry chasers at bay.
This win sees Schlierenzauer extend his lead in the overall World Cup standings. He now leads Norway’s Anders Bardal by 197 points.
Schlierenzauer couldn’t muster a perfect landing after his 240-meter leap, but his points total still held up after Simon Ammann only managed 229.5 meters in the final jump of the day.
The Swiss double Olympic champion finished just 0.5 points behind in second, while Robert Kranjec of Slovenia was third, another 0.6 points back.
Norway’s Andreas Stjernen and Poland’s Kamil Stoch finished fourth and fifth respectively.
Austria’s Simon Ammann second-round leap of 229.5m for 418.2 points effectively secured him second place with Slovenia’s Robert Kranjec only managing 212 metres and 232.5 for third.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 3Latest News Bulletin
- 4At least 220 dead in stampede outside Mecca, Saudi Arabia reports
- 5Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees…or are they?
- 6[Live] All the Rugby World Cup news in one place
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 9Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees… or are they?
- 10Syrian refugee tripped by shamed camera woman is named
- 11Spain: Catalan President faces ‘civil disobedience’ charges over breakaway vote
- 12Banzai back in the vocabulary as Japan passes law allowing combat deployments
- 13Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 14Which European countries offer the most social benefits to migrants?
- 15[Live] Catalonia: separatists heading for clear win in crucial elections
- 16Israel agents ‘incite’ stone-throwing in West Bank
- 17Fifa suspends Blatter, Platini and Valcke
- 18Kicked down in Hungary, saved by Spain
- 19Catalan president Artur Mas charged with organising illegal independence referendum
- 20Hungary’s army can shoot rubber bullets and tear gas at refugees
Wires > Sport
- 09:54 CET Coleman ready to extend Wales contract but wants changes
- 07:52 CET O’Connor released by Reds due to personal issues
- 04:36 CET Warner confident he will be fit for New Zealand series
- 04:04 CET Pacquiao looking to return to ring early next year
- 03:19 CET Bolt aiming to crack 19 seconds in 200 metres
- 00:33 CET Hamilton heeds his father’s words as title nears
- 23:47 CET Ukraine into Euro play-offs after Spain defeat
- 23:23 CET Ruthless England complete perfect 10