French skipper Francois Gabart held his nerve to win the Vendee Globe in a record time on Sunday.
The 29 year old, the youngest winner of the event, completed the 24,000-nautical mile race in 78 days, two hours, 16 minutes, beating the previous mark of 84 days and three hours set by fellow countryman Michel Desjoyeaux in 2009.
Frenchman Armel Le Cleac’h is expected to finish second ahead of Alex Thomson who is set to become only the third Briton to claim a podium finish here after Ellen MacArthur and Mike Golding.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 6Why World Elephant Day matters
- 7Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 8Latest News Bulletin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 11Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16International news | euronews, latest international news
- 17Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 18As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Wires > Sport
- 11:59 CET Arsenal Supporters’ Trust urges review of transfer policy
- 11:25 CET Sports minister Mutko named head of debt-ridden Russian FA
- 11:09 CET With spot-fixing bans lifted, Pakistan trio restricted at home
- 10:36 CET Sri Lanka spinner Kaushal reported for illegal action
- 10:14 CET India coach calls on bosses to tackle TV companies’ demands
- 10:06 CET Durban confirmed as 2022 Commonwealth Games host
- 09:32 CET Durban our focus, Olympics will come later say South Africa
- 09:20 CET No slip-ups allowed for Germany as Poland await