French skipper Francois Gabart held his nerve to win the Vendee Globe in a record time on Sunday.
The 29 year old, the youngest winner of the event, completed the 24,000-nautical mile race in 78 days, two hours, 16 minutes, beating the previous mark of 84 days and three hours set by fellow countryman Michel Desjoyeaux in 2009.
Frenchman Armel Le Cleac’h is expected to finish second ahead of Alex Thomson who is set to become only the third Briton to claim a podium finish here after Ellen MacArthur and Mike Golding.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 10Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20The Pluto flyby : what we’ve learnt so far
Wires > Sport
- 17:42 CET Adam Yates wins Clasica San Sebastian
- 15:50 CET Brazil’s Cunha claims 25km open water title
- 14:15 CET England call up Plunkett and Footitt for fourth test
- 13:42 CET Mourinho eyes early chance to strike blow on Wenger
- 12:44 CET Twente take teenager on loan from Man City
- 12:24 CET Australia reaffirm interest in future Olympic bid
- 12:06 CET Haddin omission hardest decision of my career – Lehmann
- 11:06 CET IOC boss tells Japan ‘no apology needed’ over stadium changes