French skipper Francois Gabart held his nerve to win the Vendee Globe in a record time on Sunday.
The 29 year old, the youngest winner of the event, completed the 24,000-nautical mile race in 78 days, two hours, 16 minutes, beating the previous mark of 84 days and three hours set by fellow countryman Michel Desjoyeaux in 2009.
Frenchman Armel Le Cleac’h is expected to finish second ahead of Alex Thomson who is set to become only the third Briton to claim a podium finish here after Ellen MacArthur and Mike Golding.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 3Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 4[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 7Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 8Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 9Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 10Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 11‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 12Romania, Hungary and Bulgaria focus of EU cash fraud probes
- 13NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 14Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 15Interpol issues ‘red notice’ for accused ex-FIFA bosses
- 16Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 17Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 18Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 19Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 20Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
Wires > Sport
- 08:15 CET Bastia face relegation threat over deficit
- 06:05 CET Martino demands more despite six-goal semi-final haul
- 05:55 CET Santner, Elliott earn NZ central contracts
- 04:40 CET Goosen wins playoff and ticket to St. Andrews
- 04:35 CET Robinho leaves Santos, expected to join Guangzhou
- 04:32 CET Devastating Argentina reach Copa final
- 04:30 CET Tour set for Battle Royale on treacherous course
- 03:25 CET Quintana takes the high road en route to Tour