French-led troops in Mali have secured the airport in the northern town of Gao.
The French Defence Ministry confirmed that an important bridge has also been taken by the French although fighting continues in the town.
Gao had been a stronghold of Islamist fighters after it was seized last April.
The Mayor of Gao, Sadou Diallo, who had been forced to flee has now returned. He praised the work of French troops: “I feel as if I’ve just fallen from the sky back home, thanks to God and thanks to France.” He added “I want to thank the French president who answered the call of my president.”
There has also been fighting in the central town of Konna. The Mayor of Konna confirmed that at least 11 civilians had been killed during French airstrikes to drive out militants.
Meanwhile around 100 Chadian vehicles carrying troops are heading towards the border with Mali. They will join French and African forces already fighting al Qaeda-allied fighters in the country’s north.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Israeli attacks on Gaza intensify as both sides discuss potential truce
- 2EU to impose economic sanctions on Russia
- 3#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 4Scientists baffled by two new holes discovered in Siberia
- 5Precious power lost as Israeli strike takes out Gaza’s only energy plant
- 1Fears over spread of Ebola as more tragedies emerge
- 2Muslims around the world get set to celebrate the ending of Ramadan
- 3Japan teenager arrested for beheading classmate
- 4#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 5Russia opens humanitarian corridor for injured Ukrainian troops, Russian state TV claims
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 347 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 4TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 5Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Arseniy Yatsenyuk
Wires > News
- 00:36 CET U.S judge says cannot seize Kurdish crude for now
- 22:30 CET Four California teens charged in murder of China graduate student
- 22:28 CET EU and U.S. announce new sanctions on Russia over Ukraine
- 22:19 CET France names ex-finance minister Moscovici as EU commissioner…
- 22:10 CET Sierra Leone’s top Ebola doctor dies from virus
- 21:06 CET Romania’s leftist PM launches candidacy in presidential election
- 20:17 CET Iraq’s Kurds have right to sell oil while squeezed by Baghdad – MP
- 20:11 CET American opinion of Arabs, Muslims is getting worse- poll