27/01/13 07:25 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
French-led troops in Mali have secured the airport in the northern town of Gao.
The French Defence Ministry confirmed that an important bridge has also been taken by the French although fighting continues in the town.
Gao had been a stronghold of Islamist fighters after it was seized last April.
The Mayor of Gao, Sadou Diallo, who had been forced to flee has now returned. He praised the work of French troops: “I feel as if I’ve just fallen from the sky back home, thanks to God and thanks to France.” He added “I want to thank the French president who answered the call of my president.”
There has also been fighting in the central town of Konna. The Mayor of Konna confirmed that at least 11 civilians had been killed during French airstrikes to drive out militants.
Meanwhile around 100 Chadian vehicles carrying troops are heading towards the border with Mali. They will join French and African forces already fighting al Qaeda-allied fighters in the country’s north.
- 1‘Tourists go home’ say Spanish locals in backlash to holiday boom
- 2EgyptAir crash: doomed plane’s distress signal ‘picked up by satellites’
- 3Fears grow for missing Japanese boy left in woods as punishment
- 4Belgium facing more strike chaos
- 5More transport chaos in France in standoff over labour reforms
Latest world news
Peru: Tens of thousands hold anti-Fujimori rally ahead of presidential poll
Delays and cancellations as French unions begin indefinite transport strike
Ex-Miss Turkey gets suspended sentence for insulting president
WHO advises two months of safe sex for Zika prevention
Costa Concordia captain has appeal rejected
Wires > News
- 09:12 CET North Korea’s missile and nuclear projects unacceptable, Japan…
- 08:55 CET Dead tigers found in Thai temple amid trafficking fears
- 08:40 CET Japan PM delaying sales tax rise, fiscal reform on back burner
- 08:34 CET Turkish PM Yildirim says German vote on Armenian killings…
- 08:25 CET Turkish army kills 14 Islamic State militants near Aleppo
- 07:24 CET Thailand jails country singer for seven years in royal insult case
- 07:18 CET Peru’s Kuczynski backs out of plans to join anti-Fujimori rally
- 07:08 CET Falluja children face extreme violence, UNICEF says