Police in Brazil say at least 245 people are now known to have died in a fire at a nightclub.
Local television has shown shirtless firefighters using sledgehammers and axes to open up an exit as there was only one way in or out.
It is thought the majority of the victims suffocated or were trampled to death. Authorities say the death toll is likely to rise as there were more than 500 people inside.
The blaze is said to have been sparked by a band’s pyrotechnics show which set alight the ceiling at the Kiss nightclub.
Santa Maria lies some 300 kilometres west of the state capital of Porto Alegre. Authorities there have now declared 30 days of official mourning.
After cutting short a visit to Chile President Dilma Roussef was clearly visibly moved in a televised address when she expressed her condolences and solidarity with the victims.
“We stand together at this time, and even though there’s a lot of sadness, we will pull through without forgetting this sadness,” she said.
With so many dead, questions will undoubtedly be raised over the cause of this tragedy as well as Brazil’s safety standards and capacity to respond to emergencies as it prepares to host football’s World Cup in 2014 and the 2016 Summer Olympics.
- 1Turkey blames US for ‘sea of blood’ in region
- 2Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 3Syrian monitoring group says at least 500 killed in Aleppo offensive
- 4‘Human error responsible’ for deadly Bad Aibling train crash – sources
- 5One of world’s biggest container ships stranded on German river
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Partnering to grow Europe
- 7Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 8Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 11Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 12‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 13Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 14International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 15Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 16latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 18Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 20world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
Wires > News
- 07:03 CET Ex-Anglo Irish Bank head due back in Boston court
- 05:48 CET North Korea feels global pressure but not completely ostracised
- 03:29 CET Republicans Christie, Fiorina drop White House bids
- 00:54 CET Turkey, Greece seek NATO mission in Aegean – German official
- 00:10 CET Short of options, Sri Lanka turns back to Beijing’s embrace
- 00:07 CET Auschwitz guard, 93, stands trial in Germany
- 00:06 CET With fewer U.S. troops in Afghanistan, pressure grows for more air…
- 00:01 CET North Korea satellite not transmitting, but rocket payload a…