27/01/13 10:06 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
A euronews correspondent in Egypt is in Port Said, a city that has been virtually locked down by the military after 21 death sentences sparked fatal violence there.
At least 32 people died in ferocious protests that broke out after the verdicts, that were connected to a football stadium disaster last year.
Our reporter Mohammed Shaikhibrahim said that the Egyptian army controls all roads in and out of Port Said, and it is tough to get into what has been declared a military zone.
Gun shots rang out through the night. Protesters were angry that people from their city were being blamed for the deadly stadium disaster in Port Said at a match last February against a visiting team from Cairo.
This latest violence kept medical services busy with a steady stream of wounded.
After avoiding sniper positions and crossing another military checkpoint our correspondent spoke to local residents who said they were shocked at the security forces’ response to the street protests.
“There’s no doubt,” said one, “the shots were fired to kill people. The goal was to eliminate anyone they came across.
Another expressed anger with Cairo. “We don’t want to be part of Egypt anymore,” he said, “we want Port Said to be independent.”
Some of the fiercest clashes took place outside the prison where most of the defendants were being held. One unconfirmed report said they had been transferred by the military after protesters threatened to break in and free them.
- 1Turkey blames US for ‘sea of blood’ in region
- 2Nigeria: suicide bomber turns herself in after recognising relatives among potential victims
- 3Einstein was right! Scientists confirm that gravitational waves exist
- 4Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 5World powers arrive in Munich hoping to resurrect Syrian peace talks
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Partnering to grow Europe
- 7Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 8Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 11Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 12‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 13Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 14International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 15Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 16latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 18Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 20world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
Wires > News
- 21:37 CET Iran’s windfall from nuclear deal cut in half by debts – …
- 21:21 CET France’s Hollande reshuffles cabinet with eye on 2017 election
- 21:11 CET Exclusive – Brother of ex-Chinese official sharing golf secrets in…
- 21:08 CET Saudi warns U.N., aid workers to leave rebel-held areas in Yemen
- 20:39 CET Gloom at Syria talks as Russia backs government advance
- 20:31 CET Obama, Netanyahu may agree defence deal in Washington next month…
- 20:07 CET Russia boosts ties with Iraq in challenge to U.S. influence
- 20:04 CET Kremlin critic Navalny files lawsuit against Putin