Close
Log in
Please enter your login details

Skip to main content

Breaking News
  • Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan says the way some European nations classify refugees is not humane
  • France and Germany agree to propose a permanent and mandatory system to take in refugees and asylum seekers, especially Syrians, in the European Union
  • Turkish PM Davutoglu says Turkey will keep its doors open to refugees as it has done so far
  • EU’s Juncker proposes taking extra 120,000 refugees (European source)
  • Around ten dead and 100 wounded in twin bomb blasts in Cameroon town previously attacked by Boko Haram
Facebook Twitter Google+ Reddit

Street battles have erupted in Egypt for a third night, with at least 32 people killed and hundreds injured.

In Port Said, youths vented their anger over a court decision to put 21 men to death for their roles in last February’s football stadium disaster.

The violent pitch and stand invasion left seventy-nine people dead.

The new flare-ups broke out after two days of nationwide violence as Egyptians marked the second anniversary of the revolution to topple Hosni Mubarak.

Port Said residents were shocked at the response by security forces to Saturday’s street protests. One man said: “Without doubt, the shots were fired to kill people. The goal was to eliminate anyone who they came across.

Another man said: “Two days ago, security forces were attacked along one street but the police didn’t return fire. So why are they doing this now? Why real bullets? Why did they kill people and for whose benefit? Was this to satisfy the football club’s supporters?

Mohammed Shaikibrahim, our correspondent in Port Said told us: “A sense of anger invaded the city after the Egyptian court’s verdict was announced. Locals feel that the men facing execution are scapegoats for political disputes which they had nothing to do with.”

More about: