In the aftermath of Friday’s violent demonstrations, protesters lingered on the streets of Cairo on Saturday morning, throwing stones and tear gas.
Outside the presidential palace, barricades prevented anyone from getting in.
In Tahrir square, opponents of the president returned to their camps. On Friday night, tens of thousands of protesters were forced out of the square after riot police used tear gas.
Two years after Egypt’s uprising, demonstrators say President Mursi and the Muslim Brotherhood have hijacked the revolution and are forcing their Islamist agenda on the country.
His backers say his critics do not respect the democracy that has given Egypt its first freely elected leader.
Across Egypt on Friday, rallies by opponents of the President turned into clashes with security forces.
Nine people were reported killed, most in the port city of Suez, where the army has also been deployed. Around 500 were injured nationwide.
The president is due to meet later on Saturday with the National Defence Council to discuss the violence.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1As it happened: Malaysia’s flight mystery remains as searches extended to Malacca Strait
- 2Ships and aircraft from ten countries continue search for missing Malaysia flight
- 3Flight MH370: possible mid-air disintegration, unconfirmed object ‘spotted’ in sea
- 4Missing Malaysia Airlines plane ‘crashes off Vietnam’
- 5Turkey: Berkin Elvan, 15, hurt in Istanbul clashes, dies after months in coma
- 1Flight MH370: possible mid-air disintegration, unconfirmed object ‘spotted’ in sea
- 2As it happened: Malaysia’s flight mystery remains as searches extended to Malacca Strait
- 3Hijacking not ruled out as search for missing Malaysia Airlines jet enters third day
- 4Ships and aircraft from ten countries continue search for missing Malaysia flight
- 5Prayers for a miracle as the fate of missing Malaysia Airlines jet baffles the experts
- 1Missing Malaysia Airlines plane ‘crashes off Vietnam’
- 2Flight MH370: possible mid-air disintegration, unconfirmed object ‘spotted’ in sea
- 3Claims Michael Schumacher is breathing independently played down by his management
- 4Malaysia Airlines plane missing, presumed crashed
- 5Hijacking not ruled out as search for missing Malaysia Airlines jet enters third day
Wires > News
- 15:37 CET Search under way at New York building collapse, trains halted
- 15:36 CET Insight – How the separatists delivered Crimea to Moscow
- 15:30 CET Portugal PM invites Socialists to help plan budget beyond election
- 15:24 CET Exclusive – EU approves framework for asset freezes, travel bans…
- 15:13 CET Algerian police halt opposition march against Bouteflika bid
- 15:04 CET Thousands flock to Turkish boy’s funeral after night of protest
- 14:02 CET Putin says dissatisfied with Russia’s economic growth rate
- 13:47 CET Islamist militants, local men said to kill 22 in Syrian village