In the aftermath of Friday’s violent demonstrations, protesters lingered on the streets of Cairo on Saturday morning, throwing stones and tear gas.
Outside the presidential palace, barricades prevented anyone from getting in.
In Tahrir square, opponents of the president returned to their camps. On Friday night, tens of thousands of protesters were forced out of the square after riot police used tear gas.
Two years after Egypt’s uprising, demonstrators say President Mursi and the Muslim Brotherhood have hijacked the revolution and are forcing their Islamist agenda on the country.
His backers say his critics do not respect the democracy that has given Egypt its first freely elected leader.
Across Egypt on Friday, rallies by opponents of the President turned into clashes with security forces.
Nine people were reported killed, most in the port city of Suez, where the army has also been deployed. Around 500 were injured nationwide.
The president is due to meet later on Saturday with the National Defence Council to discuss the violence.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Oklahoma supreme court halts executions pending drugs hearing
- 2Ukraine: US releases photos of alleged Russian special forces in the east
- 3Nepalese sherpas threaten strike in wake of Everest avalanche tragedy
- 4Death toll now 87 in South Korea ferry sinking; 215 missing
- 5Miracle stowaway survives five hour jet flight hidden in wheel well
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 5Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
Wires > News
- 00:13 CET Syria eyes end of chemical arms monitoring mission; West disagrees
- 00:10 CET Australia transport safety chief says beach debris not from MH370…
- 23:49 CET Colombia ICRC says peace may solve mystery of disappeared
- 23:20 CET Two policemen, militant killed in Egypt
- 22:36 CET Vandals deface Pope John Paul II memorial before canonisation
- 22:24 CET Car bomb kills four in Kenyan capital
- 22:03 CET Hamas, Abbas’s PLO announce reconciliation agreement
- 22:02 CET Three charged in plot to ship chemical lab equipment from U.S. to…