26/01/13 16:05 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
In the aftermath of Friday’s violent demonstrations, protesters lingered on the streets of Cairo on Saturday morning, throwing stones and tear gas.
Outside the presidential palace, barricades prevented anyone from getting in.
In Tahrir square, opponents of the president returned to their camps. On Friday night, tens of thousands of protesters were forced out of the square after riot police used tear gas.
Two years after Egypt’s uprising, demonstrators say President Mursi and the Muslim Brotherhood have hijacked the revolution and are forcing their Islamist agenda on the country.
His backers say his critics do not respect the democracy that has given Egypt its first freely elected leader.
Across Egypt on Friday, rallies by opponents of the President turned into clashes with security forces.
Nine people were reported killed, most in the port city of Suez, where the army has also been deployed. Around 500 were injured nationwide.
The president is due to meet later on Saturday with the National Defence Council to discuss the violence.
- 1Warning or no warning – tension grows between Russia and Turkey over downed jet
- 2Russian co-pilot says his plane downed “without warning” by Turks
- 3No violation, no warning, a premediatated provocation growls Moscow
- 4Germany will ‘do more’ to fight ISIL, says Merkel
- 5Turkey’s NATO ambassador defends downing of Russian fighter jet
- 1Paris attacker Abdelhamid Abaaoud ‘returned to scene of shootings’
- 2Russia says second SU-24 crew member safe and back at base in Syria
- 3Turkey insists it seeks no fight with Russia on its Syrian border as Russia boosts air base defences
- 4Calls for calm as tensions rise over Turkish downing of Russian jet
- 5Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 1At least 22 people killed as Mali hotel siege ends
- 2Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 3Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 4Five questions on Russia’s air strikes in Syria
- 5Hasna Aitboulahcen did not detonate a suicide vest during the St. Denis shoot out
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 41000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 7Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 10world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 11Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Egypt armed forces chief Abdul Fattah al-Sisi – a man of destiny
- 14Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 15Latest sport news
- 16Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
- 17No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
- 18‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 19‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 20Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
Latest world news
Hollande adds Italy to his coalition before heading to Moscow
Pope disgusted by ‘barbarous attacks’ in God’s name
Southern Australia burns as fatal bushfires destroy wildlife and livestock
Brazil’s Petrobras scandal claims two more scalps – a billionaire and a politician
UN launches programme to combat violence against women
Wires > News
- 11:18 CET U.N. envoy says Russia-North Korea deportation pact puts refugees…
- 11:18 CET China military in talks for logistics ‘facilities’ in Djibouti
- 11:17 CET German lawmakers to discuss support for France in IS fight
- 11:16 CET German lawmakers to discuss support for France in IS fight
- 11:10 CET Saudi Arabia imposes sanctions on 12 Hezbollah leaders for…
- 11:08 CET Bangladesh says kills military chief of banned Islamist group
- 11:08 CET Russia to help Cambodia build capacity for nuclear power
- 11:05 CET Dutch court rules that migrants’ right to food, shelter not…