In the aftermath of Friday’s violent demonstrations, protesters lingered on the streets of Cairo on Saturday morning, throwing stones and tear gas.
Outside the presidential palace, barricades prevented anyone from getting in.
In Tahrir square, opponents of the president returned to their camps. On Friday night, tens of thousands of protesters were forced out of the square after riot police used tear gas.
Two years after Egypt’s uprising, demonstrators say President Mursi and the Muslim Brotherhood have hijacked the revolution and are forcing their Islamist agenda on the country.
His backers say his critics do not respect the democracy that has given Egypt its first freely elected leader.
Across Egypt on Friday, rallies by opponents of the President turned into clashes with security forces.
Nine people were reported killed, most in the port city of Suez, where the army has also been deployed. Around 500 were injured nationwide.
The president is due to meet later on Saturday with the National Defence Council to discuss the violence.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Air Algerie plane missing with 116 people on board
- 3Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 4‘Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Yatsenyuk
- 5Sudanese mother sentenced to death in Sudan meets the Pope in Rome
- 147 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 2TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 3#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 4Fighter jets ‘shot down’ over Ukraine
- 5Costa Concordia finally clear of Giglio, destined for dismemberment
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 447 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 04:43 CET Venezuela protests arrest of ex-intelligence head wanted in U.S.
- 04:18 CET Wreckage of Air Algerie plane carrying 116 people found in Mali
- 04:04 CET South Korea ferry businessman’s cause of death impossible to…
- 03:34 CET Shelling of Gaza school kills at least 15; toll nears 800
- 03:24 CET Al Jazeera journalists jailed in Egypt say they will appeal
- 02:39 CET Death row Christian woman flies out of Sudan, meets pope
- 01:02 CET Iran detains four journalists, three of them Iranian-American…
- 00:54 CET Sudanese Salafi group endorses Islamic State’s new caliphate