The generous bosoms of Bavarian barmaids or country girls in their traditional blouses are a national German symbol, but an elderly politician suggesting to a young journalist that she would nicely fill one of them out was a step too far for the reporter, who has gone public in Stern magazine.
Rainer Brüderle, 67, allegedly made the remark a year ago, part of a clumsy chat-up of 29-year old Laura Himmelreich at a political gathering in Stuttgart.
The revelation has sparked a social media storm with everyday sexism being condemned in thousands of posts. The row also has a political dimension as Brüderle is to lead the government’s coalition partner, the FDP, in the next election.
Critics say this, and not the alleged offence, lies behind the journalist’s decision to go public now.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Russia sanctions threaten to rebound on EU
- 2Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
- 3#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 4Israeli strike kills 19 Palestinians near Gaza market
- 5India: entire village buried under massive mudslide
- 1Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
- 2Scientists baffled by two new holes discovered in Siberia
- 3Russia defiant in face of tough EU-US sanctions
- 4#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 5Gaza: Deaths at Jebalya school after Israeli strike
Wires > News
- 06:59 CET Some WTO members discussing customs deal without India – sources
- 05:17 CET El Salvador detains Spanish priest for smuggling cell phones into…
- 23:05 CET Drug-resistant malaria reaches Southeast Asia borders, could…
- 21:47 CET Hezbollah commander killed in Iraq-sources
- 21:07 CET Kerry presses India on global trade deal as deadline looms
- 20:14 CET Shi’ite militia hangs up 15 executed Sunnis in Iraqi square
- 19:50 CET U.S. blacklists North Korea shipping firms over arms shipments
- 18:01 CET South Korea president’s party wins vote, green light for economic…