The generous bosoms of Bavarian barmaids or country girls in their traditional blouses are a national German symbol, but an elderly politician suggesting to a young journalist that she would nicely fill one of them out was a step too far for the reporter, who has gone public in Stern magazine.
Rainer Brüderle, 67, allegedly made the remark a year ago, part of a clumsy chat-up of 29-year old Laura Himmelreich at a political gathering in Stuttgart.
The revelation has sparked a social media storm with everyday sexism being condemned in thousands of posts. The row also has a political dimension as Brüderle is to lead the government’s coalition partner, the FDP, in the next election.
Critics say this, and not the alleged offence, lies behind the journalist’s decision to go public now.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 2#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 3TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 4Ukraine suspects one of its jets was shot down by another aircraft
- 5Israelis unite around troops fighting in Gaza
- 147 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 2TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 3#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 4Fighter jets ‘shot down’ over Ukraine
- 5Costa Concordia finally clear of Giglio, destined for dismemberment
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 447 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 01:02 CET Iran detains four journalists, three of them Iranian-American…
- 00:54 CET Sudanese Salafi group endorses Islamic State’s new caliphate
- 00:23 CET At least 15 killed by shelling of Gaza school; toll exceeds 760
- 00:19 CET Rival Libyan militias clash in Tripoli, Benghazi
- 23:41 CET Mali, northern rebels agree on ‘roadmap’ for peace talks
- 23:28 CET EU targets state-owned Russia banks in sanctions plan
- 23:12 CET Peres steps down as Israeli president, sees peace ‘one day’
- 23:09 CET French warplanes search Mali desert for crashed Air Algerie plane