Mass protests to mark two years since the start of the Egyptian revolution turned deadly on Friday when violence broke out in several cities for a second night.
In Suez, the military was deployed after eight people were shot dead, including a member of the security forces. Another was shot and killed in the city of Ismailia.
In Cairo, there were running battles with riot police as protesters tried to remove barriers outside Mohamed Mursi’s presidential palace.
Opponents say he and the Muslim Brotherhood
have hijacked the revolution and are forcing their Islamist agenda on the country, leaving many secularists and minorities without a voice.
Brotherhood supporters stayed away from the protests while Mursi called on Egyptians to reject the violence.
After watching the clashes unfold, Mohammed Shaikhibrahim, our correspondent in Cairo said:
“Frustration within Egyptian society has blighted the celebrations to mark the two year anniversary of the original uprising on January 25 2011. Out of the memory of the first, it certainly looks like another revolution has been born.”
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 8Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 9Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 10Latest News Bulletin
- 11International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 12BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
Latest world news
Turkey: two soldiers killed in suicide attack blamed on PKK
Surfing dogs battle it out in California contest
Photojournalist among five found dead at Mexico City apartment
Failed breach attempt by migrants in Calais
Israelis against recent violence in region as clashes rage in West Bank
Wires > News
- 12:13 CET Gunmen kill ally of Burundi’s President Nkurunziza
- 11:46 CET Malaysia says Indian Ocean aeroplane debris is part of a Boeing 777
- 10:41 CET Grassroots mayors embody Spain’s divisions as election nears
- 10:11 CET Analysis – Germans fret over Europe’s future but still believe
- 09:56 CET Chinese military paper warns a corrupt army does not win wars
- 06:07 CET Five found shot to death in Mexico City apartment
- 23:06 CET Finland must watch far-right closely after violent rally – minister
- 20:11 CET Kurdish militia in Syria accuses Turkey of ‘provocative’ attacks