More than 50 deaths and over 90 injured. That is the result of a prison riot in Venezuela, with the high death toll described as “alarming” by the director of the local hospital.
As the battle raged inside familes awaited anxiously beyond the walls, fearing the worst.
The government is furious that its efforts to clamp down on abuses in the jail went so wrong.
“We were surprised that the cell searches we planned throughout the prison were announced on the private TV channel Globovision, social networks, and the webpage of the Diario de L’Impulso. Without any doubt this was responsible for the violence and subsequent riot,” said Prisons minister Iris Varela.
Uribana prison is in the east of the country, and in 2006 was mentioned by name in a critical human rights report. It was designed for 850 inmates, but currently holds 2500. The victims include prison guards and soldiers, but details have not been released.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Afghanistan: Fifty dead after suicide attack during volleyball match
- 2Turkish President sparks row by saying women are not equal to men
- 3Deadly floods in southern Morocco
- 4Femen lay bare their naked opposition to papal visit
- 5Violence erupts after policeman avoids charges over black teenager’s death
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 7India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 8Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 9[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 10European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 13Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 14Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 15Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 17Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Syria: Islamic extremists pledge to press ahead with battle for Kobani | euronews, world news
- 20Edgars Rinkevics: “I am gay. Good luck all of you.” | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 22:15 CET U.N. peacekeepers from Ukraine detained in Congo over uniforms
- 22:13 CET Stigma and isolation haunt South Korean families of convicted…
- 22:04 CET Exclusive – Poor and besieged, Myanmar’s Rakhine join Rohingya…
- 21:40 CET Cameroon army says frees 16 hostages, including Polish priest
- 21:38 CET Ministers from coalition against Islamic State to meet December 3
- 21:23 CET Argentine presidential aspirant Massa says would cut back state…
- 21:04 CET Icelandic hacker says guilty of stealing money from Wikileaks
- 21:02 CET Spanish health minister resigns in kickback scandal