America’s Lindsey Vonn produced a superb display to clinch a women’s Alpine ski World Cup giant slalom in Slovenia on Saturday.
The 28 year old looked in great shape and crossed the finish line in an impressive combined time of 2 minutes and 22.20 seconds to outclass local favourite Tina Maze by the narrowest of margins while Austria’s Anna Fenninger overcame a small mistake on the top part of the second run to complete the podium.
Maze, who was expected to secure her third giant slalom in front of her home crowd, led after a near-perfect first run, but a shaky start to the second cost her valuable time.
The 29 year old eventually had to settle for second place, 0.08 seconds behind Vonn, and this result sees her stretch her lead in the overall standings to 748 points.
- 1Cancellara in yellow; Greipal wins stage 2 of the Tour de France
- 2Mongolia and Japan call the shots at Ulaanbaatar Judo Grand Prix
- 3Solid gold Hamilton speeds silver arrow to victory at Silverstone.
- 4Ulaanbaatar Judo Grand Prix visitors impress in Mongolia
- 5Tour de France: Rodriguez wins stage three as Froome earns leader’s yellow jersey
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 3[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 4[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 5Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 6Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 8Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 9Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 10Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 11‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 12NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 13Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 16Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 17Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 18Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 19Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 20Hungary: billboard war sparks international concern
Tour de France: Rodriguez wins stage three as Froome earns leader’s yellow jersey
Red Bull Air Race: Arch wins in Budapest
Cancellara in yellow; Greipal wins stage 2 of the Tour de France
Mongolia and Japan call the shots at Ulaanbaatar Judo Grand Prix
Rohan Dennis record breaking Lycra lad wins Tour de France Grand Depart
Wires > Sport
- 21:47 CET Former tour physio says McIlroy is ‘up against it’
- 20:24 CET Juventus coach Allegri adds year to contract
- 19:44 CET Tour stage neutralised after huge crash
- 18:52 CET England’s ‘Lionesses’ home after strong World Cup showing
- 18:36 CET FIFA bans bid inspector Mayne-Nicholls for seven years
- 18:14 CET United winger Nani signs three-year deal with Fenerbahce
- 17:37 CET England can win the Ashes, says Pietersen
- 17:01 CET CoCo and Keys make it three Americans in last eight