America’s Lindsey Vonn produced a superb display to clinch a women’s Alpine ski World Cup giant slalom in Slovenia on Saturday.
The 28 year old looked in great shape and crossed the finish line in an impressive combined time of 2 minutes and 22.20 seconds to outclass local favourite Tina Maze by the narrowest of margins while Austria’s Anna Fenninger overcame a small mistake on the top part of the second run to complete the podium.
Maze, who was expected to secure her third giant slalom in front of her home crowd, led after a near-perfect first run, but a shaky start to the second cost her valuable time.
The 29 year old eventually had to settle for second place, 0.08 seconds behind Vonn, and this result sees her stretch her lead in the overall standings to 748 points.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 3Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 4[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 7Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 8Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 9Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 10Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 11‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 12Romania, Hungary and Bulgaria focus of EU cash fraud probes
- 13NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 14Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 15Interpol issues ‘red notice’ for accused ex-FIFA bosses
- 16Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 17Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 18Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 19Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 20Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
Wires > Sport
- 23:00 CET UEFA probing Barca over separatist flags, chants
- 22:47 CET Ivanovic dumped out of Wimbledon by American qualifier
- 21:18 CET Serena makes short work of Babos
- 20:43 CET Inter sign Brazil defender Miranda from Atletico
- 20:30 CET Argentina odds-on favourites to lift Copa America
- 20:00 CET Uruguay’s Coates completes permanent Sunderland move
- 19:53 CET Swansea sign Portugal forward Eder
- 19:37 CET Gundogan extends Borussia Dortmund contract