America’s Lindsey Vonn produced a superb display to clinch a women’s Alpine ski World Cup giant slalom in Slovenia on Saturday.
The 28 year old looked in great shape and crossed the finish line in an impressive combined time of 2 minutes and 22.20 seconds to outclass local favourite Tina Maze by the narrowest of margins while Austria’s Anna Fenninger overcame a small mistake on the top part of the second run to complete the podium.
Maze, who was expected to secure her third giant slalom in front of her home crowd, led after a near-perfect first run, but a shaky start to the second cost her valuable time.
The 29 year old eventually had to settle for second place, 0.08 seconds behind Vonn, and this result sees her stretch her lead in the overall standings to 748 points.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 6Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 9Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 10eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 11Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 12Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 13Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 14London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 15Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 16Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 17Romania left red-faced after France-Germany map gaffe | euronews, world news
- 18Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
- 19Putin’s secret plan to seize Crimea | euronews, world news
- 20How much sugar should you eat? | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 02:09 CET Del Potro refuses to be downhearted after comeback loss
- 01:56 CET Venus and Wozniacki ease into third round in Miami
- 01:51 CET Australia confident Hazlewood will be fit for final
- 23:37 CET Brazil hand France first defeat since World Cup
- 23:23 CET Premier League to share billion pounds outside top flight
- 22:34 CET McDowell pulls out of Texas Open with Masters in mind
- 21:31 CET CSKA ask fans for emergency backing amid expulsion threat
- 21:28 CET Analysis – Mourinho has resuscitated Terry’s Chelsea career