America’s Lindsey Vonn produced a superb display to clinch a women’s Alpine ski World Cup giant slalom in Slovenia on Saturday.
The 28 year old looked in great shape and crossed the finish line in an impressive combined time of 2 minutes and 22.20 seconds to outclass local favourite Tina Maze by the narrowest of margins while Austria’s Anna Fenninger overcame a small mistake on the top part of the second run to complete the podium.
Maze, who was expected to secure her third giant slalom in front of her home crowd, led after a near-perfect first run, but a shaky start to the second cost her valuable time.
The 29 year old eventually had to settle for second place, 0.08 seconds behind Vonn, and this result sees her stretch her lead in the overall standings to 748 points.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 6Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 9Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 10eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 11Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 12Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 13Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 14London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 15French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 16Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 17Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 18Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
- 19Romania left red-faced after France-Germany map gaffe | euronews, world news
- 20International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
Wires > Sport
- 10:55 CET Gladbach’s Herrmann extends deal by three years to 2019
- 10:26 CET Snubbed Kamal quits as ICC president
- 10:18 CET Spain not worried by friendly reverse to Netherlands
- 10:07 CET Bayern’s Alaba doubtful for Borussia Dortmund derby
- 09:53 CET Hummels says made no promise to United’s Van Gaal
- 07:57 CET Spurned Burns to plot Australia comeback in India
- 07:37 CET Starc sidelined for up to three weeks with knee injury
- 04:46 CET Competition for places key for Japan, says Halilhodzic