America’s Lindsey Vonn produced a superb display to clinch a women’s Alpine ski World Cup giant slalom in Slovenia on Saturday.
The 28 year old looked in great shape and crossed the finish line in an impressive combined time of 2 minutes and 22.20 seconds to outclass local favourite Tina Maze by the narrowest of margins while Austria’s Anna Fenninger overcame a small mistake on the top part of the second run to complete the podium.
Maze, who was expected to secure her third giant slalom in front of her home crowd, led after a near-perfect first run, but a shaky start to the second cost her valuable time.
The 29 year old eventually had to settle for second place, 0.08 seconds behind Vonn, and this result sees her stretch her lead in the overall standings to 748 points.
- 1Bolt and Gatlin ready for 200 metre final at Beijing
- 2Bolt dominates 200m to complete the world championship sprint double
- 3Double gold win for Japan at World Judo Championships
- 4IAAF Championships Beijing: Two Kenyan runners test positive for doping
- 5Flores wins in Tahiti five years after last major surf victory
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4International news | euronews, latest international news
- 5Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 6Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8Why World Elephant Day matters
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 11Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 17As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 18Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 19Migrant crisis pushing Greek island of Kos to the limit
- 20Who are the six EU countries with shortest memories on migration?
Vuelta a Espana: Lindeman wins stage seven as Froome loses time on title rivals
Judo World Championships: Emane claims third career world title
Bartoletta wins second world long jump gold as Schippers sprints to 200m title
Messi named Europe’s best player
Champions League group stage draw: Man Utd avoid heavyweights on return
Wires > Sport
- 04:21 CET Czech mates Kvitova, Safarova in New Haven final
- 01:31 CET Grand Slam question – Who can challenge Serena?
- 00:59 CET French qualifier Herbert keeps marathon run going
- 00:51 CET Federer eyeing a win for the ages at U.S. Open
- 23:21 CET Everton sign Uruguayan striker Rodriguez
- 23:21 CET Two more milestones for Mourinho
- 22:33 CET De Bruyne-less Wolfsburg hit three goals past Schalke
- 21:42 CET Trump says ‘no interest’ in buying Pope’s favourite football team