French and Malian troops say they have taken the airport at Gao, some six kilometres from the city, and its bridge over the river Niger.
Gao is the major city in Mali’s southeast, and one of the last rebel strongholds on the river. The fall of the airport shows the counteroffensive is making rapid progress in removing the Islamist threat from the south, before it moves into the northern desert where the rebels are strongest.
However government and French forces say they are being attacked in what Paris is calling harrassment raids from rebels who have blended with the locals. French special forces have been deployed to deal with the threat.
Behind the front line dangers remain. In retaken Sevare, Handicap International is organising classes to warn local and refugee children about the dangers of mines and unexploded munitions.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Israeli attacks on Gaza intensify as both sides discuss potential truce
- 2EU to impose economic sanctions on Russia
- 3#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 4Scientists baffled by two new holes discovered in Siberia
- 5Precious power lost as Israeli strike takes out Gaza’s only energy plant
- 1Fears over spread of Ebola as more tragedies emerge
- 2Muslims around the world get set to celebrate the ending of Ramadan
- 3Japan teenager arrested for beheading classmate
- 4#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 5Russia opens humanitarian corridor for injured Ukrainian troops, Russian state TV claims
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 347 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 4TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 5Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Arseniy Yatsenyuk
Wires > News
- 00:36 CET U.S judge says cannot seize Kurdish crude for now
- 22:30 CET Four California teens charged in murder of China graduate student
- 22:28 CET EU and U.S. announce new sanctions on Russia over Ukraine
- 22:19 CET France names ex-finance minister Moscovici as EU commissioner…
- 22:10 CET Sierra Leone’s top Ebola doctor dies from virus
- 21:06 CET Romania’s leftist PM launches candidacy in presidential election
- 20:17 CET Iraq’s Kurds have right to sell oil while squeezed by Baghdad – MP
- 20:11 CET American opinion of Arabs, Muslims is getting worse- poll