An estimated 70,000 people have been displaced by severe floods in Mozambique, according to the United Nations.
Severe rains have caused dangerously high sea levels along large parts of the southern African coastline
over the past few days.
The worst hit area is Gaza province where the town of Chokwe has been completely submerged. Water levels in the area have risen further due to floodwater
surging down the Limpopo river.
Reports say UN aid has yet to reach tens of thousands of people.
“We don’t have any help. No food, no tents. We’re
sleeping outside. So we’re appealing for food and shelter,” said one man.
In total, 36 people have been killed in Mozambique. Several more have died in South Africa.
The UN predicts more than 100,000 people could be made temporarily homeless if water levels continue to rise.
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 6It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 9Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 10How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 11Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 12Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 13Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 14ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 17International news | euronews, latest international news
- 18Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 19Energy-generating clothes and smart lights join the Internet of Things | euronews, hi-tech
- 20Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 08:16 CET Rome airport closed after terminal fire, no serious injuries
- 08:08 CET Over 50 Thai police punished over links to human trafficking
- 05:24 CET Guatemala court rules against vice president in customs scam
- 04:46 CET China military says some not taking graft fight seriously
- 00:34 CET Thailand’s new weapon to beat deep-south insurgency – DNA swabs
- 00:17 CET Nigerians fleeing Lake Chad in Niger say some have died from lack…
- 23:40 CET Rescuers step up hunt for bodies in quake-hit Nepal trekking…
- 22:13 CET Erdogan, Turkish Cypriot leader urge Greek Cypriots to step up…